U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:09 AM

13,323 posts, read 25,582,469 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't move to another country primarily for LCOL. As other posters point out, some people just want the experience. Since I don't, as far as I know, if I need to live lower on the food chain, I'd rather either live in a mobile home in my current town (high COL state) or move to a place where housing is much cheaper (I'm thinking of the Western Slope of Colorado, and yes, I know there are lots of other compromises involved in living there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 AM

507 posts, read 1,331,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't think picking up and leaving like that makes one a very desirable citizen, but than maybe that doesn't bother you.
What a ridiculous comment.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:07 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,506,246 times
We moved partially because of cost of living, to maximize our retirement funds, but more because we wanted a different social and political environment. My wife had once expressed a desire to retire for a few years in Mexico but I was adamantly against it. Having live in three other countries, thanks to Uncle Sam, and having enjoyed aspects of all of them, I never considered leaving this country in retirement. I'm an American. This is where I belong and where my money is better spent on and in support of a local economy.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,356,377 times
We thought long and hard about this, and I often thought we would do something like that. But our health care system kind of binds us here, at least 5 months a year. We have kind of started doing this, but the LCOL country is the US--Florida is lots less expensive than Canada, and real estate is a bargain right now (I know, lots of folks have suffered and we're sorry for them.) We can also drive there easily, so travel is cheaper and easier. It's not Costa Rica, but it's a pretty nice alternative to snow.

My brother, on the other hand, when fully-retired, will spend his winters in Asia--Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand. But he spent 20 years off and on as an expat in Asia, so it's almost like home to him now. And he doesn't have any friends here, although his family is all in N.A.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 AM

59 posts, read 170,321 times
Interesting replies guys. Thanks for the feedback. I think for now I will stay here but you never know with the way the economy is going. I'll just do more research and fantasize

Old 02-18-2012, 09:29 PM

18,836 posts, read 4,947,443 times
Personally, no. It wouldn't mean that much to me...I'd rather stay here, I'm in a fairly LCOL
area now...

Old 02-18-2012, 09:40 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,362,060 times
My mom did that, just up and moved to Ecuador. I think it helped that my brother and I moved far away and there wasn't all that much keeping her where she was anymore. She was severely burned out on her job, and realized that she had a choice between continuing on as it was and moving to a much cheaper country so that she could afford to retire. I think it was six months between the time she started seriously considering it and the time she actually moved down there. I don't think she's ever been happier.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,978,960 times
Have a relative who travels all over lhe world whocan't wait to come back permanently to US. Only goes because the money is so good. he said after a time ;he really missed the US as foreign was foreign when excitement wore off.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:31 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,264,648 times
It wasn't for LCOL reasons, but I sold my home, car, gave away most of my things, and I moved to Mexico in search of work and a new life. There was one person I knew slightly who lived in Mexico City, but I left behind my relatives and friends. Adjusting to a new country, a new language, making new friends, learning the "ropes," and doing all of that alone can be stressful. I lived a low-budget life because though I was working, teaching, I was paid at the upper end of the Mexican pay scale ... which is far below comparable job pay in the USA. I came home to the USA six years later, in my late 40's, because my savings was depleated and the future working/living in Mexico looked bleak ... as I considered what I would do in retirement. Living poor in a poor country is not much of a life. I've done well since I returned home and I now have many retirement options. I've considered returning to Mexico, where I vacation often, but the war, terrorism and rising crime levels are unattractive. There are other possibilities, though. Some of them here in the USA. If I left the USA again I'd want to be in a country where either English or Spanish was widely spoken. I don't want to go through cultural immersion once again, not in retirement. My observation has been that moving abroad is probably the wrong decision for most who try it.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:41 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,229,622 times
The thing is, moving to another country is pretty scary, and not for the feint-hearted. However, it does give one a certain confidence and breaks us out of the fixed patterns which grab us all as we get older. I certainly think that people who have lived abroad for a number of years are able to think on their feet better than most folks can, and for some people it gives them a new purpose which may get lost after retiring. I mean, if you will die of boredom living the "normal' life after retirement, then living abroad is a very good remedy for that boredom.

For the health thing, yes, there is a certain security in knowing that should anything happen, you have some chance of getting it corrected, but living in foreign countries means that you have to take whatever health care they have. Obviously, if you have money or insurance, then you can get better care than the locals do but it is probably a good incentive to look after yourself better and try to remain healthy - simply because the health care is not as good as what you are used to receiving at home.

I come from the UK, and although we have a health care system, many times you have to wait for a long time on the waiting list and sometimes, for some, their time runs out before they receive treatment. This is an unfortunate fact, so my attitude at the moment is - I can return if I get ill, but there is no guarantee that I will be treated before I "move upstairs". Costs are rising and the health care system is costing the country more and more so things will only get worse unfortunately.

Where I am, at least I know I will have to pay for any treatment and I know that I will get it as soon as the money touches their pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or