U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:03 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,929,938 times

Advertisements

. Actually my last hassle with my computer (had to deal with MSFT as a result of a problem with third party software - Turbotax) - I spent an hour on the phone with someone in Manilla . He was excellent.

FWIW - my SIL once went on a Rotary exchange trip to India for about 3 weeks (this was decades ago - she was maybe 35 then). She stayed in the homes of upper middle class people (doctors - lawyers - etc.). Which meant her showers involved having water poured on her by 2 servants instead of her having to pour it herself. She got dysentery - lost 15 pounds (she was very thin at the time - came home looking like a skeleton).

Our travel agent just came back from 2 weeks in India - paid for by a luxury travel company. She never had a meal outside her luxury hotels - or drank anything but bottled water. She didn't have any health problems - but - like my SIL - found many disgusting things in the country (like children who are mutilated intentionally so they'll be better beggars).

I'm not saying all of India is bad - or all the people are bad. But I simply have zero interest in living (or even traveling) in a country with such extreme poverty. Even when we were in Costa Rica perhaps 25 years ago - all the upper middle class and more affluent people in San Jose lived in communities ringed by barbed wire and guards with guns. No matter what anyone says about the United States - we are not anywhere near being a country like that today. Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 02-19-2012 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But wouldn't it be much easier to move to India and do so face-to-face?
Only if you don't mind standing in Queue for your phone, post office, food, toilet, groceries, bus ticket, taxi, hardware store, meat market, veggie market, bread market ... You end up standing in lines most of the day. (once you find the right joint)

Price of touring. / living in a foreign place.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
I wouldn't. I must admit, the two trips I've had outside the U.S. were Haiti (medical mission for three months) and an adventure trek in Nepal).
I have no real interest in warm weather, which is where a lot of cheaper places are. If I had to go for a lower cost of living, I'd go for a mobile home where I live, or somewhere further south if I must. I think it would be interesting to live elsewhere for an extended stay, but not to plan to live somewhere for life, especially not as I get older.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Only if you don't mind standing in Queue for your phone, post office, food, toilet, groceries, bus ticket, taxi, hardware store, meat market, veggie market, bread market ... You end up standing in lines most of the day. (once you find the right joint)

Price of touring. / living in a foreign place.
It was a joke responding to Robyn's remark about dealing with customer service for her internet provider. Off-shoring call centers to India and all that, ya know. Guess I should have followed with .

Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,843,052 times
Default Does LCOL country interest equate with LCOL retirement need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
My husband wanted to do something like that when we were in our 50's. And - even in first world countries - it seemed like a real PITA to me to get settled in. Like waiting 6 months to get telephones/internet installed - getting all the financial stuff set up - etc. - etc. And - since I would have wound up doing most of that stuff - I said thanks but no thanks. I do like to travel - but - if I'm going to hassle with an internet provider - I'd rather do it at home. Robyn
I looked into an ex-pat. retirement in a LCOL country ... in my 50's. But, I've got to admit, my motivation was primarily the possibility of 'earlier' retirement with a LCOL. Ultimately, the perceived hassle of language barriers, culture-shock, lack of U.S.-caliber ammenities, distance from family and friends, healthcare uncertainty and general political instability caused me to re-think such a move ... and retire later.

Later (61), we were in much better financial shape and had no real 'need' to consider a LCOL country. Instead, we've taken several extended cruises and always enjoy returning to the USA. We still like to travel and could easily consider a 3-4 month stint in Italy, Costa Rica or a number of other places, but, no longer view a permanent (or even long-term) move as a viable option.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,292,103 times
I really don't get this. Is this a geographical cure? - "I am not happy here so I am gonna go to . . .Italy, India, Indonesia?"

It can't really make sense from an apples to apples comparison, can it? Find a place as crime free as Sweetwater Nebraska, availability of clean and safe meat fish and produce, no thug police, at least some people speak English, nearby quality healthcare providers, COL, etc.? Isn't this just a matter of sacrificing some things for others? Give up on the thug police and your freedom, safe and diverse food supplies and healthcare and get a bigger house and a maid?

I mean people live quite happily in very modest conditions in parts of the US for $1500/mo. Would you be planning on less than that? One trip back to the states for bypass surgery and any perceived saving would be wiped out.

Maybe it is because I have things arranged the way I like them here. I don't even like to learn that the bakery is out of toasted sesame seed ciabatta loaves, I sure would not want to be in a place where they never heard of them.

Last edited by Wilson513; 02-20-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 PM

9,193 posts, read 9,273,624 times
Quote:
For most people, if they would just sell the car, turn off the TV and cancel the paper, and find a little town in the midwest (population less than 5000) to live, they would get all the benefits of a LCOL country without the headaches. Of course, if you want a live-in servant then off to the Pacific Rim it is.
Too many people who whine about how expensive it is to live in the USA have champagne tastes. Many of them are really saying they can't afford to live in coastal California or in one of the big cities like New York or San Francisco. I know one guy who is just fit to be tied because he found out he couldn't afford to live in Honolulu which was a dream of his.

As you say, much of the Midwest (Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, South Dakota, and Missouri) all have many places where housing could be obtained at a very reasonable expense. These places may not meet some individuals expectations of "grandeur and elegance", but if that's true, I 'd say the problem is with their expectations rather than what these places offer. The same is true of many of the southern states. One can live along or near the coast in Biloxi, Mississippi or near Mobile, Alabama and not pay a fortune to do so.

One hint: If the place can be found on a list of "the top 50 destinations for elderly people to retire in" its probably going to be above average in cost. Its the old law of "supply and demand".

Last edited by markg91359; 02-20-2012 at 10:27 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 PM

9,193 posts, read 9,273,624 times
Quote:
I wouldn't. I must admit, the two trips I've had outside the U.S. were Haiti (medical mission for three months) and an adventure trek in Nepal).
I have no real interest in warm weather, which is where a lot of cheaper places are. If I had to go for a lower cost of living, I'd go for a mobile home where I live, or somewhere further south if I must. I think it would be interesting to live elsewhere for an extended stay, but not to plan to live somewhere for life, especially not as I get older.
All the countries I've visited in in Europe would be very expensive places to live. I can't see trading in a 4400 sq ft. home on 1/2 acre for a one or two bedroom apartment in some busy city like Amsterdam or London. Food was priced so high that I had no clue how ordinary people managed to eat 3 meals a day. I was struck by the absence of shopping at chain stores like we have in America that helps keep prices low.

Mexico? Maybe some people see something there that I can't. I wouldn't live there if you paid me to do it. Even if you find an area untouched by the drug wars, the poverty is awfully hard to see. I think seeing it on a daily basis would cause me to have serious depression. The area where Cancun is located (state of Quintana Roo) is fairly nice, but its essentially rain forest or jungle with lots of bugs, snakes, and other creepy stuff. There are lots of mosquitos too.

The countries I liked the most were Canada and Australia. However, the tax structure in Canada makes it difficult to afford as large and as nice a home as we have as our primary residence. Except for the area around Vancouver in British Columbia virtually the entire country is colder than any of the states in the USA during the winter. On the other hand, if I had too, I could give serious consideration to living in Australia. Much of the continent is desert though and the immigration laws make it very, very hard for anyone from America to come. They are primarily waited in favor of Asians and Pacific Islanders as Australians see their future in that part of the world.

Some countries may have higher per capita incomes than America does. However, I would still argue that overall standard of living is higher here than virtually anywhere in the world. People who are having trouble making ends meet here maybe ought to take a look at their overall job skills or be prepared to address whether their overall expectations are reasonable.. The economy here has been weak the last few years, but most people are employed and are "making it" in some sense of the word.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
As you say, much of the Midwest (Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, South Dakota, and Missouri) all have many places where housing could be obtained at a very reasonable expense. These places may not meet some individuals expectations of "grandeur and elegance", but if that's true, I 'd say the problem is with their expectations rather than what these places offer. The same is true of many of the southern states. One can live along or near the coast in Biloxi, Mississippi or near Mobile, Alabama and not pay a fortune to do so.

One hint: If the place can be found on a list of "the top 50 destinations for elderly people to retire in" its probably going to be above average in cost. Its the old law of "supply and demand".
I agree whole-heartedly. Once I retired we moved from the Left Coast to the SW Missouri Ozarks and bought a home on the shore of a large lake. Just the view alone would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in California. Our house is modest but more than ample for our needs and quite rural (20+ miles from anything of note) and the peace, quiet and serenity are priceless, as is the scenery.

The area is quite southern - we're nine miles from the AR border - but also encompasses the best that the SW has to offer in terms of friendliness, hospitality and heartland values. Making this move was something we'd planned on for years and we've yet to have cause to be disappointed.

As you pointed out, it's not for everyone and many would find it difficult to adjust not only to the simplicity and the society but to the weather as well since we experience and enjoy four distinct seasons. It's all a matter of expectations. If one needs ready access to shopping, upper-scale cultural pursuits, demographic diversity, etc., such a location is not for them. But for us, what the area may lack in those respects it more than makes up for them with its natural beauty, abundance of nature, clean air and lack of noise and light pollution.

We're happy and content here. In the end that's all that counts.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:20 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,360,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Our travel agent just came back from 2 weeks in India - paid for by a luxury travel company. She never had a meal outside her luxury hotels - or drank anything but bottled water. She didn't have any health problems - but - like my SIL - found many disgusting things in the country (like children who are mutilated intentionally so they'll be better beggars).
How tragic. Not that children are mutilated, but that your travel agent did not experience the joys of one of the oldest cultures on earth. What kind of idiot does not even bother to see for their own eyes what a country is all about. How can she ANSWER any questions about the country from prospective clients? She is a poor travel agent, indeed.

India is poor, so what? Happiness has nothing to do with money. Some of the finest, most beautiful people in the world don't have a pot to pee in. If you cross poor cultures off your list you miss some incredibly, life-changing experiences. What a pity.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or