Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:51 AM

173 posts, read 498,175 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't move abroad for long term retirement, but I've sure thought of doing it for a shorter period of time for the adventure/new life experiences, much like the couple who moved to Italy for 7 years. That sounds great to me! I haven't done it because I have an elderly mom and I'd feel too guilty leaving now.

Personally, I doubt people who relocate choose to do it because they have dysfunctional families and poor social connections. Some people are simply more adventurous than others. I've traveled a lot and love it, but my brothers and sis are absolute home bodies and would never consider it. My daughter (who I'm close to) loves the fact that I do some unconventional things and would support me in living abroad as long as it wasn't for too long a period.

As far as appreciating the USA, we did a round the world trip for a couple months and I wanted to kiss the ground when we returned! Being able to go out at night and stay in hotels without guards is something we just take for granted. Despite that and loving the USA, I still like to travel/have new experiences and would do another trip like that with different countries if $ were no object.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,547,335 times
I could happily live in Switzerland or Finland. But both of them, particularly Finland, have the problem of alien swarms littering the country. They're different aliens from those in the US, but aliens nonetheless.

I view a country the way I view any seller of goods and services. The place offering me what I want at the best price gets my money. That knocks out the Third World hellholes (the current euphemism is apparently LCOL countries). It's amusing that several posters think paradise is the place where most of the people would rather move to a different country.

One problem that no one has mentioned is that any country can deport people who aren't citizens. Citizenship in Switzerland requires a ten year residence unless the immigrant is married to a Swiss national. It's the best country in the world but I wouldn't care to live there as an outsider.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,394,833 times
For most people, if they would just sell the car, turn off the TV and cancel the paper, and find a little town in the midwest (population less than 5000) to live, they would get all the benefits of a LCOL country without the headaches. Of course, if you want a live-in servant then off to the Pacific Rim it is.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 AM

7,086 posts, read 12,600,240 times
I think I would enjoy experiencing life in another country--whether that would be forever or just for an extended period, I cannot say until I tried it.

A few years back I spent a month in a Central American country and enjoyed it very much. What I liked were the delicious fresh fruits and vegetables for sale for so little, the different attitude of many of the locals who lived with much less than we're used to, but seemed less desperate and depressed (perhaps they were simply more fatalistic, but they didn't whine the way some of us do) and the feeling, at least in the village where I lived, that there was less violence lurking around every corner...

And loved the lush nature--the flora and the fauna--hummingbirds of every size and colors--little flying jewels and the howler monkeys...tropical plants, waterfalls...

What I didn't like was lacking fluency in Spanish and being unable to communicate fully and freely though my Spanish improved greatly after some classes and practice. After becoming more fluent, I think my experience would be even more positive.

Don't know if I'd feel the same way if I moved/escaped from the US solely for reduced COL--that might make me feel angry that I had to leave my birth country--but more because I enjoyed and respected the culture of the place I was moving to, wanted to contribute and learn more...I'd view it as a growth experience and would want to get involved in literacy and cultural exchange opportunities...

Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 AM

973 posts, read 1,701,896 times
I plan on living six months in Belgrade, Serbia and six here. Belgrade isn't as low cost (esp in the rent dept) as many of the third world places, but everything else is cheaper than where I live in the USA (except for clothes), and I feel totally safe there no matter what time of day. Plus, it helps that many know English.

When the time comes for you, I would try living in the country for half a year first, before selling everything and just moving. I took a leave of absence and had lived there as "an experiment" in 2007 for half a year, to see if my "dream" could come true, and it went extremely well, so here I am....good to go in Jan 2013!

Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,635,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatton View Post
I've always tossed and turned this idea in my head. I could live like a king on my investments and social security in a low cost of living country like Thailand but it's not like you can bring your friends and family over. Is that something you would do or just tough it out as things get more expensive in America?

I did but from MA to SC...same thing..LOL

Old 02-19-2012, 02:56 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,419,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I could happily live in Switzerland or Finland. But both of them, particularly Finland, have the problem of alien swarms littering the country. They're different aliens from those in the US, but aliens nonetheless.

I view a country the way I view any seller of goods and services. The place offering me what I want at the best price gets my money. That knocks out the Third World hellholes (the current euphemism is apparently LCOL countries). It's amusing that several posters think paradise is the place where most of the people would rather move to a different country.

One problem that no one has mentioned is that any country can deport people who aren't citizens. Citizenship in Switzerland requires a ten year residence unless the immigrant is married to a Swiss national. It's the best country in the world but I wouldn't care to live there as an outsider.
Germany is apparently worse. I met a "friend" from a food chat board on a trip there a few years ago. She is from Australia (she speaks multiple languages and translates legal documents from difficult languages like Japanese into English and vice versa) - and her husband is from India (a professor in an esoteric area). She said neither they nor their child will ever be allowed to become German citizens. She and her husband would like to move to the United States. But - because they have serious health problems (her husband has had a transplant - and she is a juvenile diabetic) - they are unwilling to give up the safety net of the German health care system. Note that moving back to Australia is out of the question - because her husband's area of expertise is too esoteric for Australia - and she would never in a million years move to India (too second/third worldish for her). Robyn

Old 02-19-2012, 03:01 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,050,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatton View Post
I've always tossed and turned this idea in my head. I could live like a king on my investments and social security in a low cost of living country like Thailand but it's not like you can bring your friends and family over. Is that something you would do or just tough it out as things get more expensive in America?
I would move to [rural] India in a heartbeat. The language barrier would be difficult at first, but I am confident I could handle it. As soon as they build that bridge, I'm there, baby.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-19-2012, 03:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,419,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox1 View Post
I wouldn't move abroad for long term retirement, but I've sure thought of doing it for a shorter period of time for the adventure/new life experiences, much like the couple who moved to Italy for 7 years. That sounds great to me! I haven't done it because I have an elderly mom and I'd feel too guilty leaving now...
My husband wanted to do something like that when we were in our 50's. And - even in first world countries - it seemed like a real PITA to me to get settled in. Like waiting 6 months to get telephones/internet installed - getting all the financial stuff set up - etc. - etc. And - since I would have wound up doing most of that stuff - I said thanks but no thanks. I do like to travel - but - if I'm going to hassle with an internet provider - I'd rather do it at home. Robyn

Old 02-19-2012, 03:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,368,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I do like to travel - but - if I'm going to hassle with an internet provider - I'd rather do it at home. Robyn
But wouldn't it be much easier to move to India and do so face-to-face?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement