Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times

Advertisements

I stumbled across this website and link that sounds interesting.

World's top retirement havens - retiring overseas - MSN Money

Has anyone checked these places out and if so what do you think? Good or Bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,313 times
Would you ever leave everything behind (friends and family) to go to LCOL country?

I think this thread covers a lot of those locations.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Yes, I think it a reasonable and smart decision for a number of retires who do not feel they have enough funds to carry them comfortably through their retirement years. Some expats move to these locations to have a more lavish life style in retirement, as things like maids, landscapers, labor in general is very affordable, as well as food, restaurants and utilities, insurance etc.

Some things cost more however, such as appliances, TV's, cars, and internet service, but these (with the exception of internet) are one time expenditures as opposed to monthly living expenses.

I purchased a house in the most upscale area in a large Mexican town, Ensenada. It was a gated community a top a large hill overlooking the ocean. My HMO fees were $30 a month. My utilities about $40 for elec, water and garbage pick up. The price of fruit and vegetables was laughable compared to the US. I came home with a big bag of avacados (maybe 12) for about $1.89.The same with mangoes, my favorite fruit. They have many items that are take offs of American products for 1/3 the cost.

I maintained two homes at that time, but when I got very ill and it was thought I was not going to make it, I sold the Mexican house.

I have done a lot of research in this area. A favorite (on paper only ) is
Cuenca, Ecuador. They have beautiful year round weather, very low cost of living, a growing number of expats, and beautiful country.

The only thing that makes things difficult for expats is not knowing the language. That makes everything harder and frustrating. So, I personally feel that unless you move to an area with a very high expat population, you will find things difficult, or pay more by living in an exclusively expat area. You will also pay "gringo prices".

Last edited by modhatter; 02-23-2012 at 10:51 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
"The top 19 (in order) are, for varying reasons, Ecuador, Panama, Mexico, Malaysia, Colombia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Spain, Thailand, Honduras, Uruguay, Italy, Brazil, Ireland, France, Costa Rica, Belize, Chile and the Dominican Republic."

Not a very inviting list, for probably 99.9% of retirees in the USA.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
> ? Not a very inviting list, for probably 99.9% of retirees in the USA

Not sure why you say that. If you are talking language issues- New Zealand and Ireland speak English (of a sort). And there ARE a few Americans who speak a foreign language, or are willing to learn.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

Not sure why you say that. If you are talking language issues- New Zealand and Ireland speak English (of a sort). And there ARE a few Americans who speak a foreign language, or are willing to learn.
Good points. And if you're talking cost of living, New Zealand and Ireland have a much higher cost of living than most places in the US. Personally, I would love to live in New Zealand, at least for a while. But can't imagine dealing with the cost of living forever.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

My thoughts:

Many parts of Mexico are unstable, insecure and corrupt. The legal system is atrocious and it's difficult to find good healthcare outside of the largest of cities. Expats need to learn a new language.

Nicaragua and Honduras have severe crime and other problems. Questionable healthcare and legal systems. Expats need to learn a new language.

Spain and Italy are nations with financial difficulties, the US$ is not strong and expats need to learn a new language.

Brazil and France are expensive because the US$ is weak there. Expats need to learn a new language.

Ireland is expensive because the US$ is weak there.

The Dominican Republic has a lot of crime and poverty. Expats need to learn a new language.

Life in Malaysia and Thailand requires learning new languages and cultures. You're far from home.

Each of us has different needs and expectations. But I do believe that for most retirees, the best place to retire is in their home country ... and close to family and friends. We know there are people who demonstrate exceptions, but they're few and far between, IMO.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I stumbled across this website and link that sounds interesting.

World's top retirement havens - retiring overseas - MSN Money

Has anyone checked these places out and if so what do you think? Good or Bad?

Interesting article but I would consider Nebraska while not overseas, to be off the end of the world.

Marry a fat woman that nags and move to Nebraska. You may not live longer, but it will seem like an eternity....LOL

Last edited by accufitgolf; 02-23-2012 at 03:12 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
marry a fat woman that nags and move to nebraska. You may not live longer, but it will seem like an eternity....lol
lol!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I've lived other countries and for a long time I thought I probably would leave the US to retire. What changed my mind is the fact that you can't work legally.

Here if I want something extravagant, I can work. I can legally make money.

Lots of Americans wouldn't do all that well living in another country. I suggest renting for a year or so to see if it's for you and you really like the location. Marketing cheap overseas retirement havens has become big business. Some of these great deals are real and some aren't. Usually to get the big savings you have to live like the locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement