U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 02:03 PM

295 posts, read 666,059 times

Advertisements

Good Lord, this morning I was waiting at a stop light and an elderly woman was turning left. She obviously couldn't see the lanes and was all over the road and going about 5 mph. I looked around and every other person in cars I saw sat shaking their heads at her.

Yes, there are elderly who should not be driving under any circumstances. Most of them are too stubborn to give up their license/vehicle. I was lucky that my own mother turned in her license and sold her car at the age of 77. My step grandfather, however, refused and we had to take his license and car from him at age 92. He was furious but what if he'd killed someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 02:23 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post
Good Lord, this morning I was waiting at a stop light and an elderly woman was turning left. She obviously couldn't see the lanes and was all over the road and going about 5 mph. I looked around and every other person in cars I saw sat shaking their heads at her.

Yes, there are elderly who should not be driving under any circumstances. Most of them are too stubborn to give up their license/vehicle. I was lucky that my own mother turned in her license and sold her car at the age of 77. My step grandfather, however, refused and we had to take his license and car from him at age 92. He was furious but what if he'd killed someone?
The ex's grandmother still drove at age 100. Scary!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
If she should, then everyone of every age should. Just basic common sense... But probably too expensive to actually put into practice. Right?
Categories for high risk should be established. Vision problems, heart and other health problems (at any age), and advanced age (over 80) are high risk. Those in high risk should be road-tested regularly; if I am in high risk, I have no problem taking a road test. I have no interest in heightening my risk to kill or maim another human being or animal, or myself. I would have no problem paying an amount say $25 or so to take the test. If the road test shows that I pose a greater risk for accident, I hand over my keys and kiss my car goodbye. Not all things in life are a privilege.

Last edited by RiverBird; 08-29-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Categories for high risk should be established. Vision problems, heart and other health problems (at any age), and advanced age (over 80) are high risk. Those in high risk should be road-tested regularly; if I am in high risk, I have no problem taking a road test. I have no interest in heightening my risk to kill or maim another human being or animal, or myself. I would have no problem paying an amount say $25 or so to take the test. If the road test shows that I pose a greater risk for accident, I hand over my keys and kiss my car goodbye. Not all things in life are a privilege.
Just what we need in this time of economic decline, another "tax" by any other name.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 PM

17,760 posts, read 19,796,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Lets see... if you live with your spouse and both get keys taken away and don't live near public transit... and have no other reliable transportation... so you want old people to starve to death because most of them are in that position.... that's right, you want to build a 10 mile sidewalk so that they can walk to the grocery store and back... its not like they have bad hips, knees, and also have great amount of strength and stamina.... now back to reality...

Old 08-29-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Just what we need in this time of economic decline, another "tax" by any other name.
Better than the cost of a funeral.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Lets see... if you live with your spouse and both get keys taken away and don't live near public transit... and have no other reliable transportation... so you want old people to starve to death because most of them are in that position.... that's right, you want to build a 10 mile sidewalk so that they can walk to the grocery store and back... its not like they have bad hips, knees, and also have great amount of strength and stamina.... now back to reality...
Yep, it's a problem, isn't it? With the enormous wave of boomers eventually going toward age 80 and 90, it will be like "bumper cars" at the Fair...

Old 08-29-2011, 04:36 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,949,638 times
Just this afternoon I was coming home from picking my son up at school and there was a car driving smack dab in the middle of the two lane road. People were zipping around to the right and left of the car trying to get past, but I hung back waiting to see what was going on. Eventually, the car eased over to the left lane and I got in the right lane.It turned out to be a car with two very elderly people and a handicapped license plate. The woman was driving and she looked frantic. The man looked to be asleep. I don't think that this woman should be driving.

My late mother-in-law started having incidents shortly before she went in to assisted living. She once went to a local hospital for a follow-up visit with her doc and couldn't reach the parking ticket that shoots out when you drive up. She ended up getting confused and hitting the gas instead of the brakes and drove right into the hospital lobby window. She went across four lanes of circling traffic at the hospital entrance and hit the building.

My late father-in-law loved to go trout fishing at a fish camp around 100 miles away from his home. The very last time he drove up there himself he plowed through a campsite and knocked down someone's tent. That was the last time he ever drove himself to go fishing. From then on his church friends took him.

I'm all for a mandatory driving test once the driver reaches age 65 or so.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I'm all for a mandatory driving test once the driver reaches age 65 or so.
I can see it now. Seniors, the new second-class citizens.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:02 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,778,846 times
When I was a kid in PA, I had a neighbor who was 95 and still had a license. People avoided her, but she still drove right down the center of the road, on the double yellow line. Finally the police took her license away. She was lamenting it, "How can I get around? I can't see to walk!"

I'll never forget those words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement