U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 02:08 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,490,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I don't know how you only have observed seniors driving slowly...I get stuck behind cell phone drivers all the time who drive slow. As long as people drive the speed limit, I have no problem. Most of the time when people accuse others of going too slow, they are the ones driving recklessly by driving entirely too fast. I think getting to your destination safely is much more important than getting there faster. Drivers like that make me a lot more fearful for my safety and that of those around me than a senior driving the speed limit. JMHO.
This crap drives me crazy. I spent almost three friggin hours avoiding the same moron in a big Toyota Tundra pickup truck between Phoenix and Palm Springs a few weeks ago. I was driving a cruise controlled 80mph (AZ limit is 75), and he was driving 55, 90, 60, whatever. He was on the phone and looking down the whole time. On the noise strip on the shoulder, then crossing lane lines, tailgating, everything. Nothing I could do got me away from him for more than a few minutes. I was either passing him, or he tore past in a cloud of sand and gravel while dragging his tires across the shoulder. I finally stopped at a rest area for a few minutes. Who needs that kind of frustration. I'll bet he probably complains about all the bad drivers to everyone else, too.

Half the time, I wonder if seniors don't get flustered behind the wheel because they are surrounded by impatient, horn-honking, dreadnought-driving asshats like the pickup truck driver I experienced a few weeks ago, or self important soccer moms who freak out at the tiniest little interruption in their precious little schedule, refusing to sacrifice one single minute of their self-important lives, without resorting to dramatic driving to make it known to the whole world that they have been inconvenienced by everyone who comes into view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 03:41 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
But what about my pets? What happens to them? This is what I worry about.

In fact, at 58, I have made a conscious decision that the batch of pets I have now should be my last.....as I want to outlive them. I have made arrangements with friends to care for them if I die.....but then....they are as old as I am.

If I had to give up my pets to move into town.....that would be THE END for me.....so I won't be needing a driver's license anyway. LOL
If you choose to give your life and happiness over to animals, so be it. We have pets as well but when push comes to shove, our lives are not ruled by them. Rather, it's the other way around, as it should be in the natural order of things.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
This crap drives me crazy. I spent almost three friggin hours avoiding the same moron in a big Toyota Tundra pickup truck between Phoenix and Palm Springs a few weeks ago. I was driving a cruise controlled 80mph (AZ limit is 75), and he was driving 55, 90, 60, whatever. He was on the phone and looking down the whole time. On the noise strip on the shoulder, then crossing lane lines, tailgating, everything. Nothing I could do got me away from him for more than a few minutes. I was either passing him, or he tore past in a cloud of sand and gravel while dragging his tires across the shoulder. I finally stopped at a rest area for a few minutes. Who needs that kind of frustration. I'll bet he probably complains about all the bad drivers to everyone else, too.

Half the time, I wonder if seniors don't get flustered behind the wheel because they are surrounded by impatient, horn-honking, dreadnought-driving asshats like the pickup truck driver I experienced a few weeks ago, or self important soccer moms who freak out at the tiniest little interruption in their precious little schedule, refusing to sacrifice one single minute of their self-important lives, without resorting to dramatic driving to make it known to the whole world that they have been inconvenienced by everyone who comes into view.
DANG! Get a grip. Life's too short for that kind of idiocy.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 PM

4,552 posts, read 5,466,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I've been pondering this question.

Why not require a complete test(including driving test) for anyone needing to renew a license who has been involved in an accident or has received a moving violation during the term of their previous license? Seems to be more fair than just picking an age and punishing those in that group.

I would like to add that moving violations should also get tested & trained regardless of someone's age. Honking at and harrassing senior drivers should result in license suspension for ten days to teach patients.

We all change at different rates so I don't think that drawing a line in the sand is the best answer for senior testing. Most of the seniors I have had concerns for were those 80 and over because their family didn't want to be bothered driving them. No one size fits all answer for the human biology. I know one person who does very well at his job but his driving, which requires a different skill set is worrisome so I'm I don't agree that driving and working are always related to each other.

My plan B is to sell this condo and move to someplace with a better walkability score. We love trains, bike riding and walking so we have options including calling a cab or joining a group that finds services for seniors. I have heard buses referred to "cash buses" so I'm not sure how safe I would feel on one as a senior - I have no interest in being somone's ATM. But, I guess it depends on your own local area.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
My point is obvious, if you don't get it, then maybe you don't understand what you are proposing. If you are under the limit where you need to have this done, then its YOU doing something to other people something that you don't have to have done to you.

If you are going to put forward some regimin like this, then you should require it for everyone over 50. AND YOU have to do it too.

The vast majority of accidents are not caused by older drivers, they are caused by the younger drivers with less of a feeling of mortality, or who are in such a d@mn hurry to get places.

If you haven't included YOURSELF IN THE NEW TESTING PROCESS, then its another form of age discrimination, which in a short time, you too will have it done to you.
That's what I think. Test everyone at the same interval. Forget over 50. Make it over 16 (actually I'd like to see 16/17 off the road).

I bet such a mandatory test schedule would fall flat on its face as a bunch of self-proclaimed "safety oriented" types who were such staunch advocates for tougher restrictions for other people besides themselves, started losing their licenses in their 30s, because of their own poor driving habits.

Can you imagine the whining? How can I feed my family? How can I take my kids (wailed with the utmost drama) to the doctor? How can I live my life without a license? That would drive the point home in a hurry.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:42 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
this thread is overpopulated by bloody oxen

Old 08-31-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
DANG! Get a grip. Life's too short for that kind of idiocy.
Shaddup.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Shaddup.
...and get some treatment for those anger issues. Might be cheaper than a bleeding ulcer.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:02 PM

6,345 posts, read 7,822,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Iíve had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement, new knees, fought prostate cancer and diabetes. I can't stand up without tipping over. Iím half blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, canít hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded and subject to blackouts at any time. Have bouts with dementia, poor circulation, and can hardly feel my hands and feet anymore. I canít remember if Iím 85 or 92 and have lost all of my friendsÖÖ.but thank God, I still have my driverís license!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thank god I don't live in your state!
Not to worry, he can't remember where he left his car.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Not to worry, he can't remember where he left his car.
Or where he left his keys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement