Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

If I had to give up my pets to move into town.....that would be THE END for me.....so I won't be needing a driver's license anyway. LOL
Why would you have to give up your pets to move into town? Lots of urban dwellers own pets. On second thought, how many pets are we talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 02:23 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Why would you have to give up your pets to move into town? Lots of urban dwellers own pets. On second thought, how many pets are we talking about?
I have 6 cats and one dog. Most apartments limit how many pets you can have or how big your dog can be. Condos too.

Some towns limit how many dogs or cats you are allowed to have.

Where I live now, I have a fenced in yard....so I do not have to go out in bad weather to walk the dog....I can just open the door.....and she goes all by herself. A lot of places don't allow you to have a fenced in yard.

All of the pets I have ever had were strays that I or one of my friends just found. I just can't imagine not being allowed to take in a starving dog or cat if I wanted to.

The dog I have now.....I found her this last January....she was eating the bird seed I put out.....she was literally skin and bones....so thin my vet said we had to wait at least 6 weeks to spay her.

I just can't imagine not be allowed to take her in.

BTW, her name is Lucy, not skinny anymore, and I could not have asked for a sweeter dog.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:40 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
I'd take my chances on the road with a senior coming at me vs a texting teen.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 AM

295 posts, read 832,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I'd take my chances on the road with a senior coming at me vs a texting teen.
Oh, I agree. Yesterday we were on the road, major highway, and we tried for at least 30 miles to get away from a texting young person who was weaving all over the road. We'd get ahead, he'd catch up and was texting the entire time. He'd text, look at the road, text, look up, text...

He made the elderly lady who couldn't see the road that I wrote about the other day look good. No kidding.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Default Let's go all the way to the logical conclusion, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post
Oh, I agree. Yesterday we were on the road, major highway, and we tried for at least 30 miles to get away from a texting young person who was weaving all over the road. We'd get ahead, he'd catch up and was texting the entire time. He'd text, look at the road, text, look up, text...

He made the elderly lady who couldn't see the road that I wrote about the other day look good. No kidding.
As long as we are comparing, let's carry the comparison to its logical conclusion. No question that the texting teen is a danger to himself and others. However, if he can be persuaded to stop that behavior (for example by getting a ticket for it), then he still retains his ability to be a good driver (vision, reflexes, etc.), whereas the old lady is probably permanently impaired. That is, no intervention or change of attitude can make her a safe driver, unless that change of attitude would be to give up driving. This is the terrible conundrum with older impaired drivers, namely that there is no way to fix their impairment other than to get them off the road. They are impaired all the time while driving. The teen, presumably, is not texting all the time while driving, which I do not intend to mean I excuse the texting teen or that I think it is O.K. to text while driving. I am just pointing out the context of this whole situation.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Seniors at Dunkin Donuts......

A group of seniors were sitting around talking about all their ailments.

"My arms have gotten so weak I can hardly lift this cup of coffee," said one.

"Yes, I know," said another. "My cataracts are so bad; I can't even see my coffee."

"I couldn't even mark an "X" at election time, my hands are so crippled," volunteered a third.

"What? Speak up! What? I can't hear you!"

"I can't turn my head because of the arthritis in my neck," said a fourth, to which several nodded weakly in agreement.

"My blood pressure pills make me so dizzy!" exclaimed another. "I forget where I am, and where I'm going," said another.

"I guess that's the price we pay for getting old," winced an old man as he slowly shook his head.

The others nodded in agreement.

"Well, count your Blessings," said a woman cheerfully. "Thank God we can all still drive."

Old 09-26-2011, 07:15 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
No age limit as long as they are a safe driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This just in on a PBS news report, Aug 25, 2011.

- 37 million people will be over the age of 65 by 2020.
- 90% will be driving.
- 3 million drivers are over age 85 now.
- One guy interview on PBS Newshour has just had a license renewed that is good till he is age 100.
- Only Illinois requires seniors to take a road test.

1. Is it a “dangerous luxury†for old people to operate road vehicles?
(No matter how safely the old folks think they drive, do they still pose a high potential danger?)

2. At what age do you think you’ll stop driving and why? How will you get around?

3. Other thoughts?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
No age limit as long as they are a safe driver.
Everyone's a safe driver until The Accident.

Who's going to monitor drivers to make sure they're "safe drivers"?

Old 09-27-2011, 05:28 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post

About a week ago I was driving on the interstate behind a weaving car. After it almost took out a car in the adjacent lane, I recalled this thread and became curious about the driver. I waited a few minutes to pass, pulled up next to the car and took a quick peek.

Imagine my surprise when I saw the driver had white hair and a pad of paper and pen/pencil in his/her left hand.

Maryland has outlawed texting while driving. I guess the old timer decided taking notes the old fashioned way while driving 65 miles per hour was o.k.

I have to admit I did burst out laughing.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 PM

Reviving "This Old Thread."

In June I decided to write down on a pad in my car (no, not while driving) instances in which elderly drivers around me pose a serious threat to others.

In all the instances I wrote down in the month of June, most of them were elderly in parking lots pulling out and nearly hitting me or someone in front of me. I mean, these old drivers do not even turn their heads left or right to look behind them, they just pull out! I've blasted several with my horn and swear I nearly caused them heart attacks. One scary incident was when an old geezer pulled out (waiting for a space, I could see he did not even look in his mirror) and came within inches of hitting a young kid walking closely behind the car with his mother into a store. The mother grabbed the kid's arm and hussled him forward and gave an angry look at the driver who proceeded to pull out without even a pause.

If you are old, or sort of old, or impaired in any way, PLEASE turn your head around completely (yes, aches and pains and all) and look before backing out. Better still: park in a spot where you have to pull forward to get out, rather than back. The grandkid you kill could be your own.

ETA: Yeah I know that statistically teens cause the most accidents on the roads, but I'll be not in parking lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement