U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-05-2012, 06:05 PM
 
Location: White House, TN
5,580 posts, read 3,924,156 times
Reputation: 3496

Advertisements

1 - Depends on how healthy they are and their ability. I support yearly road tests for drivers over 70.

2 - I really don't know. I am 19 years old now. Probably 80-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2012, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
1 - Depends on how healthy they are and their ability. I support yearly road tests for drivers over 70.

2 - I really don't know. I am 19 years old now. Probably 80-ish.
Watch out for those old drivers! And don't text while driving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 06:11 PM
 
Location: White House, TN
5,580 posts, read 3,924,156 times
Reputation: 3496
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Watch out for those old drivers! And don't text while driving...
I would never think of texting while driving. I've been told I drive much slower and more diligently than most 19 year olds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,543,532 times
Reputation: 6928
Youngins,

What is wrong with you. Why should I stop driving. I drive real slow in the left lane, you young people drive too fast, way over the 20 miles I was taught to drive 65 years ago...So that I won't forget to put my turned signal on--I leave it on. I always want to be ready to break in an emergency, so I always keep my left foot on the brake and my right foot on the gas, or aahhhhhhh, maybe the other way around...I forgot...I remember there was another pedal...yea, I would...I can't remember....I have the courtesy when I get lost, just to stop right in the lane, instead of just driving around like some of you fools.

I always wear my fedora because.....ahhh....I remember--that is my special hat that I bought in 47...or was it 48...or maybe that was my other hat...I got it in that shop on 5th or maybe 7th...I knew the salesman from the other store...did you know that he or was it his father...I bought it because the crown was not pinched...no snapped down brim...those hooligans...that nonsense in those talking pictures shows...my old homburg...it was much nicer but I left in the bowling on Sunset..yea....ahhhh...where was I....yea, why.....so you will know that someone is behind the wheel...

Vincent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I always wear my fedora because.....ahhh....I remember--that is my special hat that I bought in 47...or was it 48...or maybe that was my other hat...I got it in that shop on 5th or maybe 7th...I knew the salesman from the other store...did you know that he or was it his father...I bought it because the crown was not pinched...no snapped down brim...those hooligans...that nonsense in those talking pictures shows...my old homburg...it was much nicer but I left in the bowling on Sunset..yea....ahhhh...where was I....yea, why.....so you will know that someone is behind the wheel...
Vincent
And hopefully still alive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 05:44 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 16,319,506 times
Reputation: 7577
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Youngins,

What is wrong with you. Why should I stop driving. I drive real slow in the left lane, you young people drive too fast, way over the 20 miles I was taught to drive 65 years ago...So that I won't forget to put my turned signal on--I leave it on. I always want to be ready to break in an emergency, so I always keep my left foot on the brake and my right foot on the gas, or aahhhhhhh, maybe the other way around...I forgot...I remember there was another pedal...yea, I would...I can't remember....I have the courtesy when I get lost, just to stop right in the lane, instead of just driving around like some of you fools.

I always wear my fedora because.....ahhh....I remember--that is my special hat that I bought in 47...or was it 48...or maybe that was my other hat...I got it in that shop on 5th or maybe 7th...I knew the salesman from the other store...did you know that he or was it his father...I bought it because the crown was not pinched...no snapped down brim...those hooligans...that nonsense in those talking pictures shows...my old homburg...it was much nicer but I left in the bowling on Sunset..yea....ahhhh...where was I....yea, why.....so you will know that someone is behind the wheel...

Vincent
What are you doing inside my head?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 05:56 AM
 
1,464 posts, read 2,751,713 times
Reputation: 2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This just in on a PBS news report, Aug 25, 2011.
- 37 million people will be over the age of 65 by 2020.
- 90% will be driving.
- 3 million drivers are over age 85 now.
- One guy interview on PBS Newshour has just had a license renewed that is good till he is age 100.
- Only Illinois requires seniors to take a road test.
1. Is it a “dangerous luxury” for old people to operate road vehicles?
(No matter how safely the old folks think they drive, do they still pose a high potential danger?)
2. At what age do you think you’ll stop driving and why? How will you get around?
3. Other thoughts?
I am 64 pushing 65 and feel that I am still "intact" when it comes to driving and other functions. I have never, not EVER in my life had so much as a parking ticket and am pretty proud of that fact. When I was in my 20's and living in Maine, I got stopped for going "too slow"..imagine?? and they say old folks can't drive??
I am all for Seniors having to be road tested, eye tested, rule tested whatever it takes to be safe on the roads but not until age 70 or perhaps even 75.
Also, I feel that in order to keep the roads safe and not have driving be a "dangerous luxury" how about making it mandatory for young people to retest after they have been caught talking on cells, texting on cells, blasting their music so they can't hear vehicles around them, driving too fast and more?? If the "powers that be" want to make our roads and highways safer then keep a keener eye on ALL age levels. Pardon me now while I take the Ferrari for a spin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Reputation: 15649
Default red herring

Whenever anyone brings up the very elderly (not the young elderly) driving on public roads, others invariably bring up teens driving on the roads. So we never get anywhere, as the idea of targeting the very elderly is seen as discrimination. That is understandable. But for this debate/discussion to have any meaning within context, it should, imo, stay within context and not bring other factors into it. It's like saying we're going to do a study of how many times a day a cat has to eat and suddenly cats alone aren't good enough, we have to bring in dogs. It just kinda gets us nowhere. Not that there's any answer. All I can say is watch out in parking lots, stay far behind an ancient driver, and watch out for those lane drifters (yes, of any age).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 AM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Reputation: 3490
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I always remmeber that insurance compnaies would not insure under 25 drivers unless made to by state laws. The stats prove they are the most dangeropus drivers on the roadway.
Elder seniors are probably the drivers to be concerned most about, but most will be driving close to home. A good friend of mine, 85, is now paying about the same for auto insurance as a under 25 younger person does. It's that high for a reason. Most of my 80+ neighbors should have had their licenses taken away but the DMV folks are sympathetic and as I indicated earlier, understand these people don't drive far from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,745 posts, read 4,215,210 times
Reputation: 6866
I am not "very old", but throughout the years, I've had several fender benders while backing up. I backed into a concrete barrier during my first driving test, a parked tractor trailer while in my 20's, a parked vehicle in my 40's, a concrete pillar in my 50's and a vehicle when I turned 60. I'm sure there were others that I can't remember. Such is my life. I think its pretty common among those with ADHD, as is walking into the 'wrong" bathroom, losing keys, etc.

My ADHD symptoms are now more frequent and I try to be especially vigilant when approaching a traffic light. For a while last year I decided to avoid intensely busy intersections but I kind of fell out of that. Nevertheless, I don't seem to have as much difficulty on the open highway. I think.

I know that if my driving skills were put to the test at the MVA, I would pass with flying colors. (Of course, I'd take some Ritalin before the test, just in case.)

My 86 year old father has no central vision in his left eye, but has sufficient vision remaining in his right eye to legally continue driving. (According to eye doctor.) However, he also has uncontrolled sleep apnea and recently spent several nights in the emergency room for falls, one resulting in a fractured rib. My sister was finally able to get a physician who will be monitoring his sleep apnea to tell him he could not drive until his sleepiness is under control. We shall see. When my sister advised my Dad that we would drive him wherever he needed to go until the physician clears him for driving again, Dad told my sister he intends to keep driving. Sometimes, after reflection, my father changes his mind. Hopefully this is one of those times. Except for his daytime sleepiness, he is fully able to drive and I anticipate he will resume driving when test results conclude his sleep apnea is under control.

PS- My father passed the MVA eye examination last year even though his vision at that time must have sucked. His cataract in the left eye was so bad the examining doc could not see behind it. Thus, his wet macular degeneration was not diagnosed until after the surgery. Makes you wonder, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top