U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 06:11 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have tweo police officer neighbors. thsi has come up ansd surprisingly they say the most dangerous are younger drivers.The stats show that as well as insurance studies.Under 25 the most dnagerous drivers they say.I know that when i was younger I always saw slower driver and figurte they were older ;so made allowances. They say the impoared on alcohol and drugs(legal or not) is much more of a threat.
I know this is true, and it is an old argument. And I don't want to sound age-ist. The truth of the matter is that anyone of any age who is a potential threat on the roads needs to be prevented from driving. The oldsters have an increased disadvantage because if they get in an accident, they are likely to be seriously hurt whereas others might be able to walk away. When you add up the factors of not being able to see, not being able to hear, not having quick responses, and not having agility to turn around to see what's behind you, it's a huge risk.

With all the boomers growing old, in about 20 years the roads will be filled with us. I am more bound and determined than ever to grow old in a place that does not require driving (though maybe I have more of a chance of getting hit by an airplane walking out my front door...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Disable the car.

Open the hood and you should easily see the distributor cap.
Remove the **center** wire.
A practical and rational solution, thank you! (Sis would have to do it while he's at her house, as his car at home is parked in full view in front of his apt.)

Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 AM

8,653 posts, read 19,108,878 times
I live in S Fl...full of snowbirds...snowbirds that really shouldn't be on the road. They are a danger...they don't look, they can't react quickly, they can't hear, they can't see...and they sure as hell can't tell their right from their left!!

I've had more old folks take left hand turns from the far right lane ( 3 lane road mind you!) than I care to count. They don't change one lane at a time..nope..they just slide straight over and damn the person already in the lane. This happened twice in a 30 min period yesterday afternoon...amazing. Just amazing.

They go 40 on the highway..(75pmh), they don't get the concept of right on red, after a complete stop, they don't look before backing out a parking spot, they just honk and go.( had that happen last week and about got nailed by a caddy)

There's a reason we drive a large SUV filled to the brim with airbags...these snowbirds are horrible drivers. I really feel that once you hit 65 you need to take a yearly driving road test...not a 10 min test either...but a good 30-45 min road test. I know alot of those drivers would lose their license.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational
Disable the car.

Open the hood and you should easily see the distributor cap.
Remove the **center** wire.

A practical and rational solution, thank you! (Sis would have to do it while he's at her house, as his car at home is parked in full view in front of his apt.)

Update: Well probably not. I just called sis and she said that all he would do is have his car towed and repaired, same as he did last time the car broke down. Feels like a no-win.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,742,630 times
Quote:
I have tweo police officer neighbors. thsi has come up ansd surprisingly they say the most dangerous are younger drivers.The stats show that as well as insurance studies.Under 25 the most dnagerous drivers they say.I know that when i was younger I always saw slower driver and figurte they were older ;so made allowances. They say the impoared on alcohol and drugs(legal or not) is much more of a threat.
This entire statistic is misleading. Young folks drive more than old folks. If the true statistic of comparison for older driver accidents in comparison to miles driven in a year, I believe the numbers would be different and more accurate. As for drug use...seniors are far more likely to be taking medication than younger folks.

Three important points:

1. Range of motion, if an older person cannot turn their neck or body to see clearly behind them and to the side, they should not be driving.

2. Vision: if the vacuity won't pass the driver's license test...it is time to consider alternatives to driving.

3. Other health issues, COPD, heart issues, stroke, drug use, dementia...

If a parent is still driving have a discussion on when it is time to stop driving. When they are already self limiting, like not going out at night, only driving to church or the store, they KNOW there is an issue...

Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 AM

28,537 posts, read 62,253,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A practical and rational solution, thank you! (Sis would have to do it while he's at her house,
as his car at home is parked in full view in front of his apt.)

I just called sis and she said that all he would do is have his car towed and repaired...
Rinse and repeat as needed.

The objective is 1) to keep him from driving and 2) to have a conversation about that need.
Focus on achieving objective #1; accommodate #2 as best you can.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 AM

470 posts, read 555,467 times
Default Some are, some are not a danger

Speaking as a 65-year-old that is still driving a stick shift car over 80 miles a day three days a week to work, and more and more people will be in this category, I feel I am a safer driver than those I see that are speeding (practically everyone), switching lanes for no good reason, tailgating, playing "tag," and talking/texting on phones. In my case, I will have to work part-time for the foreseeable future; if and when I think my reaction time, eyesight and nerve are gone, I'll stop driving. I agree that there needs to be an alternative transportation option for those people who cannot or should not drive any longer.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,205,248 times
Quote:
My 81 yo mother was rear ended by a teenager 2 years ago. She was waiting to make a left hand turn and the kid didn't noticed her, totalling her car. She had a head concussion and was in the hospital for a couple of days for tests. Needless to say, she decided to give up driving after that incident. She was only a couple minutes from her house, but traffic is bad in that area (southern California).

Last edited by smpliving; 03-27-2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 AM

8,653 posts, read 19,108,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
Speaking as a 65-year-old that is still driving a stick shift car over 80 miles a day three days a week to work, and more and more people will be in this category, I feel I am a safer driver than those I see that are speeding (practically everyone), switching lanes for no good reason, tailgating, playing "tag," and talking/texting on phones. In my case, I will have to work part-time for the foreseeable future; if and when I think my reaction time, eyesight and nerve are gone, I'll stop driving. I agree that there needs to be an alternative transportation option for those people who cannot or should not drive any longer.

move to S Fla and you'll see the elder drivers doing the same exact things you described here.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,754,097 times
Default Unintentional humor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
1. Range of motion, if an older person cannot turn their neck or body to see clearly behind them and to the side, they should not be driving.

2. Vision: if the vacuity won't pass the driver's license test...it is time to consider alternatives to driving.

3. Other health issues, COPD, heart issues, stroke, drug use, dementia...
A little unintentional humor here, I think. Indeed, the older person may be a "vacuity" (emptiness), but I'm sure you meant to speak of viscual "acuity" (sharpness).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement