U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
By the way, I really like and often use the term "non-sequitur." For threads of this nature that spring back to life like zombies I'm beginning a search for the Latin phrase, "should not follow!"
I hereby grant you permission not to open any thread that irritates you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 06:37 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I hereby grant you permission not to open any thread that irritates you.
How kind of you!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That is why a third party is appropriate, I can tell my Mom she is a hazard all the time, "ignore". The dynamic is usually that parents do not listen to adult "children". And often adult children may be afraid to create a huge family blow up. Alternatively, maybe the adult child is too critical of a parent's driving. Magnifies one small incident or close call out of proportion.

So, identify the issue, notify a third party, and this way the adult child can be viewed as supportive, not the enemy.

Discuss alternatives to driving, para transit, friends giving rides, family helping out, taxi rides. Discuss the money saving, no car insurance or car maintenance. There are "senior companion" programs where a volunteer will take a senior out for shopping trips once a week.

Your life is not over when you stop driving. But it is an adjustment.
Thanks, Jasper. I referred to you as Jason a few posts up, apologies. I agree with your viewpoint that one's life is not over when one has to stop driving. It is an egotistical thing to think so. The FIL in question thinks only of himself and his needs, has no clue how he could hurt his own family by harming himself or innocent others. Many seniors are like that.

I gave this a lot of thought last night. Now my sister is backing down on doing anything, claiming that it is her husband's responsibility. Of course it is. However, he is going to do nothing. That is the only reason I considered helping my sister resolve this. But if she doesn't have the b**** to do anything, then I'm putting it out of my mind. Not at all convinced I should have helped anyway, excepting I seem to have a good rapport with cantankerous selfish old men and maybe could have gotten through to him. Perhaps not, but it would have been worth a try.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 AM

34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times
You may as well stick the needle in my arm if I have to give up my car keys. I love to drive. It represents freedom to me.

By the way, as long as they tax us for driving, there will be no mandatory law to sweep a big bunch of older people off the roads.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You may as well stick the needle in my arm if I have to give up my car keys. I love to drive. It represents freedom to me.

By the way, as long as they tax us for driving, there will be no mandatory law to sweep a big bunch of older people off the roads.
Wow, this seems to be a hotter topic for seniors than any politics. Who would have imagined. I can just see the scenario in 15 years, the road patrol showing up at our doors with warrants for taking away our road rights, and the struggle...a great cartoon in the making....senior standing on porch with rifle....dog biting officer's ankle...truck pulling away with car in tow....

Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:

I so agree - I will be the one biting (maybe gumming) the officer on the leg (right before I grab his car keys and speed off in this cop car).

Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 AM

19,825 posts, read 19,916,125 times
It's easier for those that have public transportation and/or friends or relatives available, to say not being able to drive would only require 'some adjustment'.
For many, it means being confined to quarters except for maybe once or twice a week unless they were comfortable with and able to, demand more from others.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I did not post for the sake of idle argument. It is not an argument, anyway. I was not going to put my post into "Chat" because there is already a perfectly good thread on the subject.I posted to get the viewpoints of my fellow CD'ers on a subject that has become a serious one in my family. That is what we do on CD...get others' viewpoints. If you choose to see every subject that resurfaces as an argument, that reflects your own state of mind. If the subject matter does not interest you, don't open the thread.
First, I am not interested in your semantic quibbling about the difference between argument, discussion, and exchange of views. In a broad sense, it comes down to the same thing.

Second, I am not the one who complained about the revival of this thread; I merely wrote "Good point, but ....". I have long followed your advice, although it didn't come from you, not to even open a thread which doesn't interest me. This thread interests me, and that's why I have been participating in it. Can you say "overly sensitive over-reaction"?

Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,732,472 times
Quote:

Okay. If you go blind from macular degeneration, and still have some vision, you are going to keep driving? That is perfectly acceptable to you?

That is the ultimate in self centered, narcissistic thinking. All about you. Who cares about anyone else....

And I guess by the same token you are fine with ALL people driving.... Until one hits you.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,865 times
Some 95 year olds drive better that I do. Then again I drive better than
a few 30 year olds. So it's all a matter of reflexes and sight imo.
No I didn't read all the posts I would go blind!! and have to give up my license
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement