Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,313,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Please, everyone who is tempted to bring up "others," see posts 419 and 420. If you want to start a debate or discussion about "older vs. younger" drivers, create a new thread. This one thread is about "very old folks on the roads" who likely have impairments, and what to do about one if we see that s/he is posing a danger to him/herself and others.
We live in a community that, originally was a retirement area, but is rapidly changing. I agree with what you are saying. We have lots of curvy roads and lots of hills, plus 2 lane roads. Many who are driving really shouldn't be. I just hope I will know when the time comes to give up my license. I have seen so many people completely run traffic stop signs, they drive the inside lanes at 40 miles an hour and they drive over the yellow line on our windy streets all the time, sometimes not going over 25 to 30 miles an hour when the speed limit is 35 to 40. Because of this, people tail gate them. I personally know a few people in their 90s that are still driving and I know they shouldn't be. Yes, teen agers can to a nightmere, but so can drivers past 85ish with less than good eyesight or reactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,252,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
And if some 20 year old goes blind from falling on his head should we take the car keys away from all 20 year olds? Oh yeah, I also gave the needle option.
If a 20 year old goes blind, he/she should not be driving. The same with seniors, if a senior has an impairment, he/she should not be driving.

Why is this concept so difficult to process?

No one who stops driving needs a "needle". Driving is not essential to living a full life. I know a lot of folks who do not drive any longer.

1. Medical Clinics will now provide transportation for many medical appoinments.
2. Living in an area, close to shopping, or an apartment/condo with weekly transportation service.
3. Arranging with Senior Services, fora Senior Companion that will take you out once a week for shopping trips.
4. Asking neighbors to take you to the store, or pick things up.
5. Arrange for home delivery for food, there are also services that will come to your home, like dog groomers, beauticians, nail care, and the fee is reasonable, when you factor that you no longer pay for car maintanance, gas, or car insurance. People moan how "expensive" things are...without factoring the cost savings.

I drive a co worker to work each day, he no longer drives. It is not a big deal for me to swing over to his house, he takes para transit home.

People can still live active, full, SAFE lives, without driving a car.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,923,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
And if some 20 year old goes blind from falling on his head should we take the car keys away from all 20 year olds? Oh yeah, I also gave the needle option.
Where did anyone say we should take away the keys from all very old drivers? There's a definite line between that and giving rigorous annual vision AND road tests to people starting at a certain age, and yes, to others of any age who are in a risk group. State-created jobs from this would also be a benefit.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If a 20 year old goes blind, he/she should not be driving. The same with seniors, if a senior has an impairment, he/she should not be driving.

Why is this concept so difficult to process?

No one who stops driving needs a "needle". Driving is not essential to living a full life. I know a lot of folks who do not drive any longer.

1. Medical Clinics will now provide transportation for many medical appoinments.
2. Living in an area, close to shopping, or an apartment/condo with weekly transportation service.
3. Arranging with Senior Services, fora Senior Companion that will take you out once a week for shopping trips.
4. Asking neighbors to take you to the store, or pick things up.
5. Arrange for home delivery for food, there are also services that will come to your home, like dog groomers, beauticians, nail care, and the fee is reasonable, when you factor that you no longer pay for car maintanance, gas, or car insurance. People moan how "expensive" things are...without factoring the cost savings.

I drive a co worker to work each day, he no longer drives. It is not a big deal for me to swing over to his house, he takes para transit home.

People can still live active, full, SAFE lives, without driving a car.
Jasper, you are my kind of thinking and rational person. Are you younger or older?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM

3,575 posts, read 4,492,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In some states including my own, anyone who hits from the rear is at fault, no contest. One always wants to imagine the one who hits from the rear as not paying attention. Not always or perhaps even usually the case. A number of those who are hit are driving unusually slow, or with erratic pacing. I see elderly drivers driving well, but very, very slowly hoping to avoid an accident. Now more than ever I keep to the maxim of staying 3 or 4 car lengths behind another car.

While I'm on it, I will state once again that the most dangerous place for very elderly drivers is parking lots. More times than not they pull backward from a parking space without looking behind them because of range of motion difficulty. I make it a point to take the furthest spot far from the densely parked cars, even if I have to walk a ways to the store. Exercise is better than taking any chances.
My father was "parked in" in a parking lot. He had four feet of room and needed 6. He
waited for a while and then just decided to go. He hit the other car, of course. he was 92.
Just got impatient.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:33 PM

Update on my sister's FIL. He will not be on the road for a month anyway. He has to have daily radiation and my sis is the one who must take him there and back. So there's 30 less days this neat old gent will be less of a danger to himself or anyone else. When he stops driving (if ever), i hope it will be because of his own choice and not because of his diagnosis, or because of a mishap with the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement