U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,149,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Geezers rarely sleep in. I know. I am one. Most of us are out-and-about by 5:00 or 6:00.
Driving or waiting for the mail to come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 PM

13,912 posts, read 25,410,325 times
I think there are at least few states that offer restricted licenses that allow people to drive within X miles of their home. I guess that would be another possibility.

For the most part, individuals and their families do a pretty good job policing themselves and the elders in their immediate family. Percentage-wise, I don't see more seniors driving poorly than any other age group. I don't think we need another nanny. We have enough people telling us what we can't do.

Next, there's driving and DRIVING. My mom drove into her 80's but she lived in a small rural town of 6K people. She went to the doctor, pharmacy, grocery and that's it. She always went during the day, on a week day, at times when there was guaranteed to be little traffic. I think her driving wasn't quite the same as someone living in a busy metropolitan area having to drive crosstown in rush hour traffic or even in regular freeway conditions. Mom did what she could to minimize her risk, but everyone can't do what she did either.

Public transportation is awful in the US, except for a few of the very large cities. People have to be able to get from place to place. Driving represents freedom. You can come and go as you please. It's not an easy thing to give up. My grandmother was homebound for years because she had been injured in a fire and was unable to climb the stairs to get on the bus. And what if you live in a place where the bus stop is 120 degrees in the summer or the path to that bus stop is solid ice and snow?

I still believe it's best handled on an individual case basis.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,768 posts, read 40,177,403 times
I just took a trip up a very curvy canyon with my 94 yr old friend in his Cobra Mustang, he can really make that thing scream (and ME TOO!). Glad he is still having fun, we do this when traffic is light .

Took a mtn drive with a gal friend who is 92 and she uses her Subaru daily to run 6 miles into Estes Park (VERY HEAVY traffic and lots of snow / ice / wind)

I have several 80 yr old friends that ride pretty hot motorcycles (They are unlikely to hurt someone else. Several friends in late 70's who are still owner-operators (semi Trucks) and running 80,000# with the pedal down.

But I do encourage refresher courses / safety training / safe cars with GOOD visibility (tough to find these days).

Good luck and be safe.!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,676,382 times
More concerned with drivers under 25 that are likely to drive like an azz or be drunk.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:40 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,044,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Limiting this thread to just seniors is silly.

This particular thread IS about seniors. Since we don't have a Seniors Forum, it was created in the Retirement Forum. I'm not asking about any drivers of any age, I'm seeking opinions about SENIORS (very old). We all already know that drivers of any age can be dangerous , so I wish we could stay off that and stick with the seniors issue.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,044,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
But....would they do any of those things while taking a driving test?
Exactly. And would very old seniors be more on guard during the test to not allow themselves to have memory lapses, sudden leg cramps, heart attack and death at the wheel?

It's not that anyone is not at risk for these things, it's a matter of "more or less likely" because of age. It's also about the oldster's ability to have fast response to danger posed by other drivers. S/he may be driving along just fine, but if suddenly out of nowhere a car approaches as if to crash, is someone age 90 as likely to have as swift and decisive a response (awareness first) to the threat as someone age 50, all factors being equal (not drunk, not supermedicated and in reasonable health)? Have any studies been done on this so we can compare the very old with other drivers without circumstatial factors getting in the way?

Last edited by RiverBird; 08-27-2011 at 06:51 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 AM

15,188 posts, read 13,496,742 times
........on the other hand.....how good are you going to be at avoiding an accident if you are texting and don't even see it coming?

Better a slow reaction than none.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 AM

8,149 posts, read 7,675,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
........on the other hand.....how good are you going to be at avoiding an accident if you are texting and don't even see it coming?

Better a slow reaction than none.
Apples and oranges, just a matter of how you'll be positioned when you're pasted to the windshield.

Last edited by TRosa; 08-27-2011 at 07:25 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 07:23 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,929,714 times
If you remove the crash prone people from the roads then the rest of the drivers would not have to worry so much about collisions.
I think the insurance industry still ranks those under 25 as the most crash prone.

So who do you stop from driving, the older drivers with good driving records or the youngster with bad driving records?
I do believe every driver over 65 should get a vision test before every renewal.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:34 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,581,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If you remove the crash prone people from the roads then the rest of the drivers would not have to worry so much about collisions.
I think the insurance industry still ranks those under 25 as the most crash prone.

So who do you stop from driving, the older drivers with good driving records or the youngster with bad driving records?
I do believe every driver over 65 should get a vision test before every renewal.
My license says I must wear corrective lenses and has since I was 63. Makes perfect sense to me as I've worn glasses every waking moment since I neared 50. In two states now, every time I've renewed a license I've had to take a vision test. It's a sensible requirement and certainly no burden or inconvenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement