U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 01:35 PM

15,188 posts, read 13,496,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I have seen vary dangerous older drivers and very dangerous young drivers.
I believe the driving age should be raised to 18 on a national level.
I believe after age 65 you need to take a road test when renewing.
I have watched young woman race around in traffic like it was a road race.
I have watched older folks drive around as if 25 was the fastest the vehicle could go.
All ages and both genders changing lanes without looking or signaling(obviously).

In Ohio you are required to take a vision test with original license and at every renewal ... There was an older woman that couldn't even follow the instructions for the vision test(this test had been in place 20 years or so), she couldn't read any of it after she figured it out, she failed and was informed she can't renew(she couldn't understand that part either), scary to think how long this lady was driving around.
Yep.....I just got my license renewed last week. I barely passed the vision test without my glasses. Even though I always wear my glasses when I drive....I just don't want a restriction on my license if I can avoid it. {I am 58}

BTW....drivers of ALL AGES are required to take the vision test....not just the elderly.

Now......here is a question. When they have you take the vision test....they don't even ask you if you wear contacts. Even if your vision needs correction....you will not have a restriction on your license if you walk in there wearing contacts.....so what is the point in having a restriction on your license?

If you wear glasses, you get the restriction......if you wear contacts, you don't.....doesn't seem right to me.

Next time around, 4 years from now, I will have the restriction on my license, for sure. That is.....unless I get myself some contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
This will continue to be an issue. I think older people should insist on being treated fairly. Part of the old people on the road being dangerous thing is driven by the media. A 99 yo who causes a serious accident is newsworthy. If a 32 yo causes the same accident, it won't even be mentioned.

As long as there are vehicles on the road, people are going to get hurt. Even the very best, most responsible driver out there has times, moments, hours, days, when they should not be driving. If they are aware of it, they try to compensate by being extra careful. But there are also times when we are just plain lucky to get home without causing or being damaged.
GOOD POINT! That is exactly what happens.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Here is something else to think about.

Should epileptics, diabetics and heart patients be allowed to drive....at any age?

They ALL run the risk of losing consciousness while driving.

I have heard of a lot of diabetics that have lost consciousness while driving.....more than once I have seen news stories where their child in the car took over and eased the car off the road.

We have all heard stories where people like these have caused accidents.....but there is never a public outcry about taking their licenses away.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:53 PM

767 posts, read 2,007,798 times
Charlton Heston said something to the effect of "I'll give up my guns(drivers license) , when they pry my cold dead hands from the gun (steering wheel)".

That is also how I feel.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:15 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,438,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Great services and I'm all for it.

There isn't enough of it available at a reasonable cost to be feasible for many people, especially those who don't live in a major metropolitan area.

Many people in the NYC area go through their whole lives without driving. They can do this because there is acceptable public transportation. They can go wherever they want, whenever they want. If the whole country had services like this available, many people would elect to never drive at all. Owning, maintaining, insuring, and fueling a car is a big expense.

I'm all for getting impaired drivers off the road but there has to be alternative transportation available. Losing a driver's license should not feel like a death sentence or the short bus straight to the nursing home. Nor should older people be penalized more harshly than all those other groups who should also not be on the road. If you go after one group, you have to go after all of them.

I went for 6 months once, in the US, without a car or driving anywhere. It was a major inconvenience and made daily life very difficult even though I was young and able bodied. I was still able to trudge a mile to the bus stop in the snow and ice. Every 20 minute errand I needed to run turned into 3 hours of wasted time. I gave it up and bought a car. I lived in Europe without a car for a much longer period of time and it was totally doable. Most everything I needed was in walking distance and the bus/train/subway system was great whenever I needed to go further away from home. Most of the time, it was easier and more convenient to use public transportation than it was to travel by private vehicle.

If you really want to understand why people drive who should not be driving, give up your keys and rely on public transportation for 6 months. No cheating, you have to do all the things you would normally do. Do you have any idea how many trips on the bus it would take to do your grocery shopping? You can only carry so much on each trip and still walk home. You have to be able to manage the stairs on the bus too. And if we are talking about getting ALL impaired drivers off the roads, you might just have to take your three kids with you too. Do you think you could do this for 6 months?

Until the average person in the US CAN do this, the impaired, uninsured, and unlicensed will continue to drive.
Some sense at last, if i didn't drive i would be housebound.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,438,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Here is something else to think about.

Should epileptics, diabetics and heart patients be allowed to drive....at any age?

They ALL run the risk of losing consciousness while driving.

I have heard of a lot of diabetics that have lost consciousness while driving.....more than once I have seen news stories where their child in the car took over and eased the car off the road.

We have all heard stories where people like these have caused accidents.....but there is never a public outcry about taking their licenses away.
You left out young women with PMT they can be just as erratic at certain times of the month.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:48 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,044,554 times
Sigh. I guess we just can't stick to the issue of very old seniors on the road. That is what the OP is about. We are not comparing apples with oranges. Let us rant on....

Old 08-28-2011, 05:49 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,269,854 times
The women in my family live to be really really old - my great-grandma lived to be 100-years-old. The idea of having to stop driving at 75, when you might live to be 100, is ridiculous!

If you took away my grandma's drivers license just because she's 85, it would have a huge negative impact on her life. She would have to move, since she couldn't live where she does now, without a car - and she LOVES her home and city. It would severely limit every aspect of her life. She's just as vital as most 50-year-olds, so why should she be limited just because her birth certificate says she's 85?

Old 08-28-2011, 05:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,044,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
If you took away my grandma's drivers license just because she's 85, it would have a huge negative impact on her life. She would have to move, since she couldn't live where she does now, without a car - and she LOVES her home and city. It would severely limit every aspect of her life. She's just as vital as most 50-year-olds, so why should she be limited just because her birth certificate says she's 85?
Do you believe she and others her age should be road-tested?

Old 08-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sigh. I guess we just can't stick to the issue of very old seniors on the road. That is what the OP is about. We are not comparing apples with oranges. Let us rant on....
I don't think pointing out the fact that younger drivers can also be dangerous is OT.

It all pertains to singling out seniors for their driving abilitiy, yet ignoring other groups of drivers who could also be considered dangerous, but are given a free pass.

Forcing only seniors to prove their fitness to drive is age descrimination, IMO.

They should be considered fit to drive just like anyone else, until they prove otherwise or someone reports them.

As I pointed out, why should epileptics, diabetics and heart patients, etc. be given the benefit of a doubt, but not seniors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement