Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,902,787 times

Advertisements

This just in on a PBS news report, Aug 25, 2011.

- 37 million people will be over the age of 65 by 2020.
- 90% will be driving.
- 3 million drivers are over age 85 now.
- One guy interview on PBS Newshour has just had a license renewed that is good till he is age 100.
- Only Illinois requires seniors to take a road test.

1. Is it a “dangerous luxury” for old people to operate road vehicles?
(No matter how safely the old folks think they drive, do they still pose a high potential danger?)

2. At what age do you think you’ll stop driving and why? How will you get around?

3. Other thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,913,325 times

- 90% will be driving.
- One guy interview on PBS Newshour has just had a license renewed that is good till he is age 100.

(No matter how safely the old folks think they drive, do they still pose a high potential danger?)

Everyone poses a danger no matter what their age. I personally believe that all drivers should get a driving test on a regular basis.

2. At what age do you think you’ll stop driving and why? How will you get around?

That is hard to gauge as people age differently, but I think that having a driving test would be the best indicator of when someone can and can't drive. The moment you can't pass the test is the moment you can't drive. But, I hope a contingency plan is in place. Since most people won't be able to retire early enough to not rely on their cars, there needs to be infrastructure in place to support those who cannot drive.

3. Other thoughts?

I don't think the solution is to target one age, or one group. It would be a lot more fair and make so much more sense to make everyone have to pass a driving test at some point - maybe every five years when you have to get a new picture? I don't see how passing a driving test when you are 16 or around that age is considered sufficient for continuing to drive 50 years later.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:33 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,508,741 times
I always remmeber that insurance compnaies would not insure under 25 drivers unless made to by state laws. The stats prove they are the most dangeropus drivers on the roadway.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:38 PM

17,114 posts, read 56,745,308 times
When you get past say 60, the differences between individuals in the best health and the worst are stark. If you take care of yourself, exercise, all that - you should be in good enough shape to drive for up into your 80's - if not, probably not.

I know a few guys in their 70's who ride sport bikes, and ride them right hard too.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:39 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,851,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

- 90% will be driving.

3. Other thoughts?
We have a LOT of "old people" around here but very few traffic accidents. Most of the accidents here are young people, for whatever reason.

My mom is 84 and she still drives, although very little. She drives to church and back...all of six blocks...but has someone pick her up for evening services because she doesn't drive after dark anymore. All her errands are within a mile of the house, except for Wal Mart which is three miles and she only goes there once a month. She has considered not driving anymore and almost didn't renew her license last time but changed her mind. She has me if she needs a driver.

As for me...I don't know. I'm a very good and 'defensive' driver. Never had an accident and only one ticket in my entire life. We don't have very good public transportation here but it's getting better. Maybe it will improve as the area grows.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,119,575 times
considering the amount of thought that people put into ensuring options available other than driving I expect to drive till I die~ there are no other transportation options available~ And a lot of other seniors feel the same.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,317,871 times
Well, since I'm over 65, no tickets or accidents since I was very much younger I guess I'm fairly safe on the road. Living rurally, a car is an absolute need. The closest grocery store is 18 miles away. For many old people their car is more than just a symbnol of freedom and mobility. Take it away and you've just robbed them of their independence.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:50 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,446,457 times
I’ve had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement, new knees, fought prostate cancer and diabetes. I can't stand up without tipping over. I’m half blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, can’t hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded and subject to blackouts at any time. Have bouts with dementia, poor circulation, and can hardly feel my hands and feet anymore. I can’t remember if I’m 85 or 92 and have lost all of my friends…….but thank God, I still have my driver’s license!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:15 PM

505 posts, read 713,807 times
I'll take the older driver any day over the smoking, eating, texting/ cell phone young things. I've had a lot more close calls with them.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,835,434 times
In the OP, point #3 was "other thoughts?" Well, here's my thought: Quite apart from any discussion about whether old people are dangerous or not, and if so, at what age, they sure as hell are irritating when they drive so slowly and hesitantly. Blessed be those who come to the decision on their own that it's time for them to stop driving. My mother drove a little beyond the point that she should have, but just when my sister and I were investigating ways to force her to stop, she decided to stop on her own. I'm glad she didn't maim or kill a child (or anyone else, of course) before deciding to quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement