Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,318,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post

I'm all for a mandatory driving test once the driver reaches age 65 or so.
I understand.... but how old are YOU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,011,554 times
Quote:
Just this afternoon I was coming home from picking my son up at school and there was a car driving smack dab in the middle of the two lane road. People were zipping around to the right and left of the car trying to get past, but I hung back waiting to see what was going on. Eventually, the car eased over to the left lane and I got in the right lane.It turned out to be a car with two very elderly people and a handicapped license plate. The woman was driving and she looked frantic. The man looked to be asleep. I don't think that this woman should be driving.

My late mother-in-law started having incidents shortly before she went in to assisted living. She once went to a local hospital for a follow-up visit with her doc and couldn't reach the parking ticket that shoots out when you drive up. She ended up getting confused and hitting the gas instead of the brakes and drove right into the hospital lobby window. She went across four lanes of circling traffic at the hospital entrance and hit the building.

My late father-in-law loved to go trout fishing at a fish camp around 100 miles away from his home. The very last time he drove up there himself he plowed through a campsite and knocked down someone's tent. That was the last time he ever drove himself to go fishing. From then on his church friends took him.

I'm all for a mandatory driving test once the driver reaches age 65 or so.
THIS is what it is all about. It is estimated that 14 MILLION boomers will develop dementia, 10 million of whom will have Alzheimer's. I'm willing to bet that there will be mandatory testing when a majority of boomers reach their 70s. Any takers?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Statistically, drivers 20 to 64 account for far more accidents by percentage than drivers 65 and over.

Age of Driver and Number in Accidents statistics - USA Census numbers

So all you youngsters, turn in your licenses and leave us far safer old farts the hell alone. Y'alls a menace!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,807,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I understand.... but how old are YOU?
I will be 57 in a few weeks. What's your point?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
THIS is what it is all about. It is estimated that 14 MILLION boomers will develop dementia, 10 million of whom will have Alzheimer's. I'm willing to bet that there will be mandatory testing when a majority of boomers reach their 70s. Any takers?
^^^

Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Statistically, drivers 20 to 64 account for far more accidents by percentage than drivers 65 and over.
which is why their number of accidents per mile driven is so alarming.

Quote:
I will be 57 in a few weeks. What's your point?
My point is obvious, if you don't get it, then maybe you don't understand what you are proposing. If you are under the limit where you need to have this done, then its YOU doing something to other people something that you don't have to have done to you.

If you are going to put forward some regimin like this, then you should require it for everyone over 50. AND YOU have to do it too.

The vast majority of accidents are not caused by older drivers, they are caused by the younger drivers with less of a feeling of mortality, or who are in such a d@mn hurry to get places.

If you haven't included YOURSELF IN THE NEW TESTING PROCESS, then its another form of age discrimination, which in a short time, you too will have it done to you.

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
^^^
By all means, don't let real facts and statistics and actual accident numbers cloud your judgment now.

Bet you'll be a riot in the senior center!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
which is why their number of accidents per mile driven is so alarming.
More age discrimination type comments, lumping everyone over a certain age into one category. I think its time we moved on to bashing teachers.

Its amazing that you come on here and be so "rational". Since I am a Senior, I find these kinds of comments offensive.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:11 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,807,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
My point is obvious, if you don't get it, then maybe you don't understand what you are proposing. If you are under the limit where you need to have this done, then its YOU doing something to other people something that you don't have to have done to you.

If you are going to put forward some regimin like this, then you should require it for everyone over 50. AND YOU have to do it too.

The vast majority of accidents are not caused by older drivers, they are caused by the younger drivers with less of a feeling of mortality, or who are in such a d@mn hurry to get places.

If you haven't included YOURSELF IN THE NEW TESTING PROCESS, then its another form of age discrimination, which in a short time, you too will have it done to you.

I don't mind doing it myself. You seem to have an anger issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement