Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,364,379 times

Advertisements

to take a elderly persons drivers lic. away is signing their death sentence,but letting them continue to drive could be signing someone elses ,we took my father inlaws car from him and had the state take his lic.away.......he bought another car and still drives, I have thought about wiring the emergency flashers so they would work constantly on his car ,
short of locking him up in jail not much we or the law can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 01:42 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,439,166 times
Just a followup to my reporting my very elderly and impaired inlaws to the California DMV - for "re-examination":

Nary a word from the folks about being called in. Which doesn't surprise us.

And get this - I called the Safety office in Van Nuys where I filed the report asking for followup information - like did they respond to the request - did they pass the re-examination?

THEY WOULD NOT GIVE ME ANY INFORMATION - CITING PRIVACY ISSUES.

Are you kidding me? Well, OK then - Californians you are ALL ON YOUR OWN... If they blow you off - and drive anyway and are in an accident? We've done our part.

Somehow this process is hugely flawed.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,940,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Just a followup to my reporting my very elderly and impaired inlaws to the California DMV - for "re-examination":

Nary a word from the folks about being called in. Which doesn't surprise us.

And get this - I called the Safety office in Van Nuys where I filed the report asking for followup information - like did they respond to the request - did they pass the re-examination?

THEY WOULD NOT GIVE ME ANY INFORMATION - CITING PRIVACY ISSUES.

Are you kidding me? Well, OK then - Californians you are ALL ON YOUR OWN... If they blow you off - and drive anyway and are in an accident? We've done our part.

Somehow this process is hugely flawed.
First, how do you know they were even called in?

So you will never know the upshot?

Here's what happened this past weekend here. My sister's FIL, age *** 92 *** has refused to give up his car. He feels dizzy every now and then, just as an aside. Last week, he was rear-ended at a stoplight and was taken to the ER for whiplash and other things. He and his son, my sister's husband, refused to tell my sister about this. A day later he said he was driving himself to pick up prescriptions, and he could not turn his head from side to side. When my sister finally found out what happened, she read him the riot act and had to wind up taking him for follow-up, 6 hours of tests, etc. She is furious, as of course everything falls on her. She told her husband that she was washing her hands of the whole thing and would no longer step in. Her husband and his brother apparently did not lower the boom on their dad, as he is STILL DRIVING. And that's that generation. Wait till we have 7 million ancient boomers on the road, it's going to be a friggin nightmare.

Last edited by RiverBird; 08-12-2012 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 02:26 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,266,948 times
for every kid that passes me at 95 mph in the mid lane cursing and weaving in his F150 or hummer, i seem like an utter senile old fool doing 75 mph in my camry. btw the sign says 65 mph.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-12-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,439,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

:
I DON'T know if they were called in - CA DMV won't tell us.... and the folks sure as hell won't tell us.

We will never know anything - unless they volunteer the information - and that's not going to happen.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 AM

23,166 posts, read 26,125,379 times
Quote:

Here's what happened this past weekend here. My sister's FIL, age *** 92 *** has refused to give up his car. He feels dizzy every now and then, just as an aside. Last week, he was rear-ended at a stoplight and was taken to the ER for whiplash and other things. He and his son, my sister's husband, refused to tell my sister about this. A day later he said he was driving himself to pick up prescriptions, and he could not turn his head from side to side. When my sister finally found out what happened, she read him the riot act and had to wind up taking him for follow-up, 6 hours of tests, etc. She is furious, as of course everything falls on her. She told her husband that she was washing her hands of the whole thing and would no longer step in. Her husband and his brother apparently did not lower the boom on their dad, as he is STILL DRIVING. And that's that generation. Wait till we have 7 million ancient boomers on the road, it's going to be a friggin nightmare.

If he was rear-ended while stopped, how does that indicate a problem with driving on his part??

Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If he was rear-ended while stopped, how does that indicate a problem with driving on his part??
It does not. It goes back to my original point about the elderly getting off the roads, for either they will crash into someone or someone else will crash into them and being old, they will likely suffer more injury and take much longer to recover (if at all) than someone younger. It's like when a really old person takes a fall; often the fall sends the oldster into a nursing home never to come out again. Who would want their elderly parent to wind up in traction or on life support due to a car accident? Now of course this could happen with the oldster in the passenger seat, but in the driver's seat my sister's FIL sustained injury from the steering wheel (he was catapulted into it). BTW, as of today he still cannot move his head even a little from side to side, and he still has his keys.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,006,391 times
[quote]
Quote:
It does not. It goes back to my original point about the elderly getting off the roads, for either they will crash into someone or someone else will crash into them and being old, they will likely suffer more injury and take much longer to recover (if at all) than someone younger. It's like when a really old person takes a fall; often the fall sends the oldster into a nursing home never to come out again. Who would want their elderly parent to wind up in traction or on life support due to a car accident? Now of course this could happen with the oldster in the passenger seat, but in the driver's seat my sister's FIL sustained injury from the steering wheel (he was catapulted into it). BTW, as of today he still cannot move his head even a little from side to side, and he still has his keys.[/quote]
Sounds like he needs some physical therapy.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:30 PM

[quote=Annie53;25621384]
Quote:

Sounds like he needs some physical therapy.
He's supposed to be getting that but I think he's bucking it, as he does everything else people try to tell him.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,006,391 times
Quote:

He's supposed to be getting that but I think he's bucking it, as he does everything else people try to tell him.
Well......he's a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement