Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,432,536 times

Advertisements

My MIL (as I previously stated) passed the written exam. She was asked extensively about her health.

She will take a BEHIND THE WHEEL TEST - with an EXAMINER next week.

I wonder if they will take a spin on the Ventura Fwy.

Stay Tuned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:04 AM

14,349 posts, read 14,165,853 times
Quote:
that is the key thing and seniors are often targeted for law suits
I don't dispute this point.

However, I want to re-emphasize that one of the major reasons for having umbrella coverage is for the first party benefits that become available to you if you are struck by another driver. There are hordes of people out there on the roads driving either without insurance or with completely inadequate insurance. For example, in my state it is completely legal to have an auto policy that provides only $25,000 in liability coverage. So, if the driver kills or maims someone for life, his maximum obligation under the policy is still only 25K.

Don't only get umbrella coverage. Make certain your umbrella coverage also extends your limits of UM and UIM coverages. The cost differential will be about 25% of your satellite t.v. bill for a month.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:09 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,454,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
How many seniors here carry umbrella insurance?
I have carried personal liability umbrella insurance for decades, increasing it as necessary through the years, which now is just under 8-digits. It's an absolute must to protect your assets and net worth. You never know what the future holds...

Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I have carried personal liability umbrella insurance for decades, increasing it as necessary through the years, which now is just under 8-digits. It's an absolute must to protect your assets and net worth. You never know what the future holds...
Other than a car collision causing injury or death, what else are you covered for in this policy?

Old 08-31-2012, 10:30 AM

14,349 posts, read 14,165,853 times
Quote:
Other than a car collision causing injury or death, what else are you covered for in this policy?
Umbrella policies that I am familiar with will also cover liability claims in excess of the amount on homeowner's insurance policies. Many people have a $100,000 liability limit on homeowner's and renter's insurance policies and this can be helpful.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,593,636 times

Old 09-09-2012, 01:04 PM
mlb

My MIL's driver's license has been revoked effective Tuesday. She did not pass the behind the wheel test.

Husband was on the phone with dadinlaw this morning - they are all verklempt, "Oh what ever will we do?"...

He replied - "take a cab, utilize your senior center's transportation, call your younger friends who drive".

Again - they never listen to us. But husband had a very very long talk with his dad this morning about how - if it was his decision - they would have been in asssisted living long ago. Husband will NOT push himself nor this on them - they need to make the decision. However, husband indicated to inlaws that whenever they ask for help - he will be there. In a flash. (Husband is currently unemployed).

MIL wouldn't even come to the phone she's so upset. She also fired her latest doctor who gave her medicine she couldn't tolerate for her stomach troubles.... so she threw all her meds out. This is her tantrum state.

Husband left it - that they should call their daughter (who lives across the country and will most likely tell them she cannot help them because she doesn't want to...).

We expect they will ruminate on all of this and eventually make a decision.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't dispute this point.

However, I want to re-emphasize that one of the major reasons for having umbrella coverage is for the first party benefits that become available to you if you are struck by another driver. There are hordes of people out there on the roads driving either without insurance or with completely inadequate insurance. For example, in my state it is completely legal to have an auto policy that provides only $25,000 in liability coverage. So, if the driver kills or maims someone for life, his maximum obligation under the policy is still only 25K.

Don't only get umbrella coverage. Make certain your umbrella coverage also extends your limits of UM and UIM coverages. The cost differential will be about 25% of your satellite t.v. bill for a month.
Just FWIW - our excess UM coverage costs us $365/year (more than 3 months of cable TV). I think the cost varies a lot depending on how many uninsured drivers live in your state (Florida has a lot). Robyn

Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM
mlb

Surprise ending.

My husband is in Los Angeles - helping my inlaws move to assisted living.

Without a car? No food, no restaurants. No mobility. No life.

We had them evaluated for in-home help - but the agency indicated they need 24/7 care - as my MIL is a fall risk and my FIL's health is also deteriorating.

So with that - the decision was easy. Husband had them tour a place they had previously chosen, but according to my MIL it was too depressing (lots of memory care client/residents - and "old people")... So they are moving to a place where there are more independent living retirees....and SOME assisted living.

It's very high end (the folks have longterm care insurance) - and soon they probably will be loving life again.

We are everso relieved.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:27 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,854,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Surprise ending.
My husband is in Los Angeles - helping my inlaws move to assisted living.

Without a car? No food, no restaurants. No mobility. No life.

We had them evaluated for in-home help - but the agency indicated they need 24/7 care - as my MIL is a fall risk and my FIL's health is also deteriorating.

So with that - the decision was easy. Husband had them tour a place they had previously chosen, but according to my MIL it was too depressing (lots of memory care client/residents - and "old people")... So they are moving to a place where there are more independent living retirees....and SOME assisted living.

It's very high end (the folks have longterm care insurance) - and soon they probably will be loving life again.
We are everso relieved.
I am so glad you and your husband did the right thing in forcing change. You may have saved some lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement