Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a "Senior Forum" be added?
Yes, add a Senior Forum to the existing Retirement Forum. 41 49.40%
No, the present Retirement Forum covers the ground just fine. 42 50.60%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I would never classify someone at age 64 as a geezer. Ewww.....
65 which makes me an official geezer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Senior connotes age and infirmity to most people.
And wisdom and experience to those of us who have achieved that status.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Not everyone here who is retired is what anyone would call a Senior Citizen, Elder, Geezer etc. Some are retired in their 50's and I think a few have posted who have been even younger.

I think that with the many topics here relating to Seniors that do not relate to just retirees, there should be a separate forum for them. Some of the topics being posted here relate to all things pertaining to Seniors and not just retirement. As recently happened, it was decided a topic in this forum was not related to retirement. It was moved elsewhere but returned. With so many subjects being discussed on this forum I can certainly understand that. Having a Senior Forum would make it more clear as to whether a topic is appropriate to post there.

As an example of what belongs and what doesn't, on the Retirement Forum there is a thread asking people to post about cute things their grandkids say. Why? What does this have to do with retirement? I think it belongs on the separate Grandparenting Forum under the Parenting Forum. That is a clearly marked forum just for discussions involving grandparents. Yet it remains under the Retirement forum for which it has no tie. Unless the grandkids are planning to retire.

So yes, count me in for a new Senior Forum.

I also hope I didn't offend anyone for using the term "Senior" which I see some people don't like. I hate the term "Baby Boomer" so I understand. But I am used to using Senior so I have used it here. Maybe if we get a Senior Forum we can post the terms we like to use for ourselves.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM

361 posts, read 737,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
... not all who retire are seniors.
and not all "seniors" are retired btw.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I also hope I didn't offend anyone for using the term "Senior" which I see some people don't like. I hate the term "Baby Boomer" so I understand. But I am used to using Senior so I have used it here. Maybe if we get a Senior Forum we can post the terms we like to use for ourselves.
You don't need to wait to get a Senior Forum. People have been posting the terms they like to use for themselves right here in this thread. The Retirement Forum has always served as a senior forum anyway, in the absence of one with the name "Senior".

Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,771 times
Good Lord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A person seeking a Forum on senior issues may have absolutely no idea it would appear under "health and wellness." If I'm looking for info on senior retirement communities, or property tax breaks for seniors, the last place I would ever look would be there.
And I'm not saying that a Senior SUBFORUM, located under and as part of the Health and Wellness FORUM, would be the place for senior retirement communities, or property tax breaks for seniors, or ANYTHING other than health issues as they relate to seniors.

Is there anyone else out there who is completely missing what I was saying? I'm so sorry I ever mentioned the possibility.

To get back to the topic of the thread - a separate Senior FORUM (not a subforum - please, please, forget I ever mentioned a subforum) ... no, I don't see any need for a separate Senior Forum apart from the Retirement Forum. I think it would lead to a lot of duplication and overlap, a lot of confusion as to what more properly belongs to "Senior" as opposed to "Retirement", and wasted time/effort as people who now check the Retirement forum would also feel compelled to check the Senior forum to avoid "missing something."

Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Quote:
To get back to the topic of the thread - a separate Senior FORUM (not a subforum - please, please, forget I ever mentioned a subforum) ... no, I don't see any need for a separate Senior Forum apart from the Retirement Forum. I think it would lead to a lot of duplication and overlap, a lot of confusion as to what more properly belongs to "Senior" as opposed to "Retirement", and wasted time/effort as people who now check the Retirement forum would also feel compelled to check the Senior forum to avoid "missing something."
That happens on every message board. There are overlapping topics and duplication in most forums. People would get used to it. And I for one, if interested in a topic I think will be placed elsewhere, I look at all the forums I think will cover it.

Quote:
You don't need to wait to get a Senior Forum. People have been posting the terms they like to use for themselves right here in this thread. The Retirement Forum has always served as a senior forum anyway, in the absence of one with the name "Senior".
Good point but since I was referring to a group of people, I didn't know which to use so as not to offend anyone so I had to pick one; Seniors. I know this has been discussed before in this forum but I just thought it would be fun to kick off a new discussion in a new forum to determine the name of the forum.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
As an example of what belongs and what doesn't, on the Retirement Forum there is a thread asking people to post about cute things their grandkids say. Why? What does this have to do with retirement? I think it belongs on the separate Grandparenting Forum under the Parenting Forum. That is a clearly marked forum just for discussions involving grandparents. Yet it remains under the Retirement forum for which it has no tie. Unless the grandkids are planning to retire.
I think many people would agree with you. However, given that our moderator has posted in that thread about the cute things her grandson has said, I think you can forget about that thread ever being moved to a more appropriate forum.

(Although I'm sure my comment will disappear shortly.)

Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,053 times
IMO, the insensitivity of several of the posters on the topic of driving, is a boon for a Senior forum. But I should think it should be for those of us who are beginning to be subject to age discrimination, which is age 60 and over. Others can post of course, but they should be a bit more respectful.

However, if there is not moderation, and this is just a generic statement, not a criticism of any current moderation of the retirement forum which is illegal on city data, that is sensitive to age discrimination issues, then it could turn into the education forum where it simply becomes a vehicle for certain individuals to bash teachers. In that forum, there are few teachers left.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The present forum should be renamed Over 60. There could be a subforum named Retirement.

Senior connotes age and infirmity to most people.
Interesting viewpoint. "Senior" is kind of a strange word.

Senior issues are many, and retirement is but one aspect of being a senior. And as someone pointed out, above, not all seniors are retired, contrary to the profile of most of the older posters. A lot of stuff gets put into "Retirement" because we don't know where else to put it. Health, Finances, Moving, Parenting, etc etc are very different issues for "seniors" than they are for people who are not "seniors." I do not want to wade through comments about "Moving," for ex, by people of all ages. We don't all have the same concerns according to our stage in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement