U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a "Senior Forum" be added?
Yes, add a Senior Forum to the existing Retirement Forum. 41 49.40%
No, the present Retirement Forum covers the ground just fine. 42 50.60%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:26 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Ya mean we've been battering this around for nothing??
No, not for nothing. It's interesting to observe how people view this forum; how they feel they do, or perhaps do not, fit into it; why they want to change it, if in fact they want to; and so forth.

Even if this had been posted in the correct forum ("correct" for requesting an added forum, that is), it is almost guaranteed there would be no changes made with the responses running the way they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,864,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I used the thread "things grandkids say" as an example. I could have easily picked others.

The "harm and foul" came when another topic that had been ongoing for a very long time was moved to another forum and this and others not on topic were not.

I don't mind using this forum as all things Seniors, or Elders or whatever.
My question was why was a topic that relates to retirees removed rather than one less germane to the forum. The topic of grandchildren includes many people of all ages already has a forum. Again, just an example.

But the Mods kindly put back the one that was removed so I guess this is an all-purpose forum again.

Hopefully, if this forum is not replaced, all will be free to post topics of concern, amusement or interest.

My vote would be for an "All Things Senior " forum. That way all topics would be pertaining to older folks would be appropriate. As somone pointed out, not all retirees are elderly and not all elderly are retired.
I think "All Things Senior" is a brilliant idea!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 PM

3,418 posts, read 3,973,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The general Retirement forum seems to be quite functional as is. There will always be threads someone is not interested in (I am not even remotely interested in anyone's grandkids, for instance) but until it is clear that a specific group of topics is dominating and needs to be spun off, I say leave it as it is.

There is a wide age range in this forum (I'm 52 and retired along with the spouse), and some topics, like "Eldercare" apply to some of us as caregivers and some of us as potential care receivers, and it's good to see both sides of the discussion.
^^^^^^I agree. Leave as is. The Retirement forum is one of my subscribed forums, and I skim the titles and only read what I want. No big deal. I also don't like the word senior. 62 used to be the age when this term kicked in. Don't y'all know that "80 is the new 60", so not even an 80 year old is a senior "citizen" by this definition. Just sounds so "old" (pun intended).

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times
I'll be 64 next month, I'm no longer working as of 18 months ago, and I do not consider myself a 'senior'.

I agree with Michigan Transplant that '80 is definitely the new 60' and that the term 'senior' does not have good connotations.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
^^^^^^I agree. Leave as is. The Retirement forum is one of my subscribed forums, and I skim the titles and only read what I want. No big deal. I also don't like the word senior. 62 used to be the age when this term kicked in. Don't y'all know that "80 is the new 60", so not even an 80 year old is a senior "citizen" by this definition. Just sounds so "old" (pun intended).
Well so do I. As long as the topics that are here stay here whateve they are. Again my whole point is that when some are moved and some are not, topics are then narrowed down to only certain allowable subjects. That is what I don't want to see happen here.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 PM

Some topics with "aging" and "elder" in the title have not been embraced in the current "Retirement" forum . . . (maybe because it is conceived as being strictly about relocation and financial concerns?)

"All Things Senior" is great, as far as I'm concerned, and I am not a big fan of the word "senior," but I think cool people can restore it to dignity . . .

Is anything going to even happen or is this just all academic as NewEnglandGal suggested, I wonder?

Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 PM

8,623 posts, read 9,692,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well so do I. As long as the topics that are here stay here whateve they are. Again my whole point is that when some are moved and some are not, topics are then narrowed down to only certain allowable subjects. That is what I don't want to see happen here.
I find it kinda funny that when we are in school we just can't WAIT to be a Senior. BUT, when we get older that word takes on a whole new meaning, doesn't it? lol I have to say it doesn't bother me one bit. I always say I've been married enough times I've no doubt I've been called many things so being called a "senior" is nothing! lol

Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 PM

If senior in high school is cool, then old person senior can be cool too.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Well if 80 is the new 60, then 60 is the new 40, and I sure don't feel like I'm 40.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 AM

8,623 posts, read 9,692,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
If senior in high school is cool, then old person senior can be cool too.
I agree!! It's just a word...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or