U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should a "Senior Forum" be added?
Yes, add a Senior Forum to the existing Retirement Forum. 41 49.40%
No, the present Retirement Forum covers the ground just fine. 42 50.60%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2011, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
Reputation: 36087

Advertisements

Whether people are offended by words like "aging" or "senior" or "fogeys", they at least do not carry the imprimatur of exclusion. I hesitated to post a thread which called for reminiscences, exactly because it does not relate to the topic of "retirement", as the forum title implies. The title of the forum should be as broad as the scope of the topics that it embraces, and "Retirement" references only employment status, and is way too narrow. I retired from full-time work at 45 and from part-time at 52, and others never retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2011, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Whether people are offended by words like "aging" or "senior" or "fogeys", they at least do not carry the imprimatur of exclusion. I hesitated to post a thread which called for reminiscences, exactly because it does not relate to the topic of "retirement", as the forum title implies. The title of the forum should be as broad as the scope of the topics that it embraces, and "Retirement" references only employment status, and is way too narrow. I retired from full-time work at 45 and from part-time at 52, and others never retire.
I agree, and I think the part I bolded is an excellent way of putting it, concise but accurate. But instead of creating another forum, I came belatedly to the view that re-naming is the solution, as in "Retirement and Senior Issues". As I stated previously, had I not been so dense about the whole thing, I would have included the renaming as a third option in the poll. Based on people's responses in their posts, I think re-naming has wide support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Whether people are offended by words like "aging" or "senior" or "fogeys", they at least do not carry the imprimatur of exclusion. I hesitated to post a thread which called for reminiscences, exactly because it does not relate to the topic of "retirement", as the forum title implies. The title of the forum should be as broad as the scope of the topics that it embraces, and "Retirement" references only employment status, and is way too narrow. I retired from full-time work at 45 and from part-time at 52, and others never retire.
Why I voted, in the end, for an "All Things Senior" forum. After all, some "senior" folks aren't "retiring" from anything, for a number of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,698 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Reputation: 35449
I think of the term "Senior" as an honor. As mentioned, a Senior in high school was at the top. At work, the Senior employee was the most experienced and usually earned more. Law firms have Senior Partners.

I don't mind the tem at all. But I am also fond of Geezer just because it's a funny sounding word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 06:05 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,517 posts, read 62,235,289 times
Reputation: 32222
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Why I voted, in the end, for an "All Things Senior" forum. After all, some "senior" folks aren't "retiring" from anything, for a number of reasons.
That's why I voted against it.
The current set up seems to have the economics of the choices as the most common denominator among posts.
That seems right to me and rather well done here too I might add.

Anecdotes about the grandchildren? meh.
Nothing wrong with having some of that and vacation reports sprinkled in too...
but it seems to me that there are all manner of other places to have that sort of thing as the most common denominator among posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2011, 10:49 PM
 
8,204 posts, read 11,923,585 times
Reputation: 18020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
To me, the solution is not to add another forum, but to modify the name of the existing one: Retirement and Senior Issues Forum. That's what is really is anyway! And the modified name would just be more accurate and more inclusive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
You don't need to wait to get a Senior Forum. People have been posting the terms they like to use for themselves right here in this thread. The Retirement Forum has always served as a senior forum anyway, in the absence of one with the name "Senior".
Yes, much to my growing displeasure, this forum has definitely morphed over time into an "all things senior" forum. However, I appear to be in the minority in wanting the forum to focus solely on issues pertaining to retirement, so I will cease attempting to steer the conversation in that direction. In fact, I most likely will curtail my participation here because I have very little interest in the majority of topics that now permeate the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, much to my growing displeasure, this forum has definitely morphed over time into an "all things senior" forum. However, I appear to be in the minority in wanting the forum to focus solely on issues pertaining to retirement, so I will cease attempting to steer the conversation in that direction. In fact, I most likely will curtail my participation here because I have very little interest in the majority of topics that now permeate the board.
Being (mostly) retired, I see your point. In recent months I've been less and less interested in the thread topics (including one of my own). Favorite pizza and grandkid sayings is fun for some, but not the vast majority. Funny to see "pizza" next to financial or nursing home/medicare issues. Feels like we're getting loosy goosey in our meandering (I do it too). Wish we could tighten up the whole thing and stick to "Retirement" for those who want just that, and put everything else under "Senior Stuff" or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top