U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times

Advertisements

What would be ideal (for me) is to own a 600-800 sf cottage (new or newer) with the land under it within a seniors-only community, pay my own bills and mow my own yard (tiny, except for a small garden strip), and NOT pay any monthly coop or HOA fee. Within a mile or two of everything. Where would that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Where would that be?
click your heels three times...

Old 09-02-2011, 07:22 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
click your heels three times...
I've already done that and landed in the Midwest (Missoura, next to Kansas) --not once but twice! Wondering if I'm clicking the right way....

Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 AM

9,581 posts, read 10,923,342 times
Quote:
What would be ideal (for me) is to own a 600-800 sf cottage (new or newer) with the land under it within a seniors-only community, pay my own bills and mow my own yard (tiny, except for a small garden strip), and NOT pay any monthly coop or HOA fee. Within a mile or two of everything. Where would that be?
There are places like this all over. Each person owns or rents a lot, small or large. There may or may not be a HOA or other "community" features. Sometimes the residences are large and sometimes small, sometimes cheap and sometimes expensive, sometimes only for +55 and sometimes open to everyone. Sometimes each place is similar in size, sometimes not. They've been around for decades; they're called trailer parks. There are also manufactured and modular homes; they don't have wheels.

There are many with tiny lots and no HOA. They're generally on city lots in trailer-friendly towns and relaxed zoning. There are always trailer parks for sale, large and small. An individual or group could buy one and turn it into a coop. Then everybody gets one vote regardless of equity. Wouldn't it be wonderful if your investments in common stock were set up like this?

Individuals have enjoyed owning homes for millenia. Which would be easier to sell, a home on its own lot or a share in a coop?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
I've already done that and landed in the Midwest (Missoura, next to Kansas) --not once but twice! Wondering if I'm clicking the right way....
Don't know what else to tell you hon

My observations is that these places run in two basic patterns:
1) The rather to very expensive "planned" and operated by profit driven entities.
2) The cultish or at best overtly peecee and newagey which are still expensive (if you also want clean water and electricity 24hrs a day)

I'll say it again...
the small stand alone infill structure or accessory structure on the lot of a larger home...
located in an established neighborhood easily walkable to library and grocer etc...
like what is found in a smaller college town.

It probably won't be more than marginally less expensive...
but for me (and I suspect you too) the independence counts for more.

hth

Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose3408 View Post
Building Green -- I would love to building an adorable small cottage in a great active community (I'm only 56) however, I've been searching the net for the past year, and have yet to discover such a place.

I found some adorable "small home builders" and plans (tumbleweedhouse.com) but I would like to take it a step further and find communities where everyone lives together in harmony, i.e., co-op gardens, thinks organic, etc.

And oh yes -- no. 1 on my list is living in a warm climate because I do NOT want to remain in the Midwest and continue to freeze my butt off and shovel!

Does such a place exist? Any input is so greatly appreciated.
We have seen several little commune/co garden communities struggle to survive and many are ripe with disgruntled occupants who have to carry the work loads as they age and others sit on their hands. I think the concept is wonderful and in a perfect society they would be on the top of our list. That said I have never been involved with a club or group where every member loves one another...just doesnt happen in the real world. You may want to search WA and Oregon where there are a few developments like the ones you mention, very green and a communal kitchen. They are also very expensive. It is not cheap to build green. These are in cold country as well.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Quote:
This place you mention is in our dreams. But if you find it I want to be your neighbor hahahah.

You can find quirky little houses (old) here in Sun City, with moderately small yards for gardens and the HOA fee is only $25 a year and the rec center fee, which is optional I believe is only $45 a month. We are blocks from shopping and medical. You just have to welcome the heat when it comes and we love the summer here. Best of luck in your hunt for the perfect gardening spot and please let us know when you find it.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 PM

419 posts, read 658,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
This place you mention is in our dreams. But if you find it I want to be your neighbor hahahah.

You can find quirky little houses (old) here in Sun City, with moderately small yards for gardens and the HOA fee is only $25 a year and the rec center fee, which is optional I believe is only $45 a month.
The rec. fee here in Sun City is $450.00 a year and it is not optional

Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM

19,839 posts, read 18,855,957 times
You'd probably have to start it yourself. I know of beach areas with little winterized cottages that are perfect for retirees. Fairly close to everything but the residents are not all retirees. We could get retirees to buy into the place and create such a community. At one time you could probably have found such places on Cape Cod but that's mostly built up now and private developers have built expensive places for retirees.

The Eastern Shores of VA and Maryland have sweet little old towns and little houses but I hear the skeeters there in summer are wicked! Hurricanes aren't a lot of fun either.

I considered the mobile home park idea until I saw what the fees were in this state!!!!!!!!!!! You hear about bad management too even when it's a co-op. But at least with the mobile homes they were the right size for retirees and had storage with extra in a shed, plus you got a screened in porch and a little yard. But greed seems to take over (as usual) and the management wants higher and higher fees for this thing or that thing until people can't afford to live there anymore. Also, they can get nasty and leave notes on people's doors for minor infractions--which doesn't contribute to good feelings especially as elderly people can't always be right on top of every little thing the way they used to when they were younger. There has to be a bit of a live and let live attitude or at least a help your neighbor attitude. (For instance, a note about mold on the side of the mobile home or grass too high right after the person has just lost their spouse. That sucks.)

I'd go for the cottages independently owned, not managed by some Powers that Be. Just a place that encourages retirees to move in and lets the community develop naturally. If there are enough residents, someone might start a little store or coffee shop, for instance, on their own. I have a fear of managed communities with Powers that seem to know what's best for us!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,911,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The Eastern Shores of VA and Maryland have sweet little old towns and little houses but I hear the skeeters there in summer are wicked! Hurricanes aren't a lot of fun either.
As an FYI, due to the way the land is shaped you're more likely to have hurricane damage in MA than in the Delmarva Peninsula. Mosquitoes are about the same as up in MA, as far as I know. Having said that, I would hesitate to recommend the eastern shore because it's pretty isolated, and many of the towns are tourist towns which lose a high percentage of their residents during the off season. Medical care and shopping are not the best.

What are the beach towns in MA that you're thinking of? That sounds interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or