U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 AM

5,694 posts, read 8,764,670 times

Advertisements

There is a thread about Urban agriculture in the city planning folder with a link to several new communities built around agriculture. But they tend to be pricy. What is your budget?

Quote:
find communities where everyone lives together in harmony, i.e., co-op gardens, thinks organic, etc
It will be difficult to find a place in the "real world" where EVERYONE thinks oganic but if you settle for A LOT - or SEVERAL - your options get a lot wider and less expensive.

That living together in harmony will be difficult. Would you settle for a house in a generally congenial neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,603 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
There is a thread about Urban agriculture in the city planning folder with a link to several new communities built around agriculture. But they tend to be pricy. What is your budget?

It will be difficult to find a place in the "real world" where EVERYONE thinks oganic but if you settle for A LOT - or SEVERAL - your options get a lot wider and less expensive.

That living together in harmony will be difficult. Would you settle for a house in a generally congenial neighborhood?
I'm targeting $80k for individual equity participation in an ag centric cottage community. I hope that will cover the basic home and their share of the property and improvements. (utility infrastructure, and a large shop / community space with guest rooms and green house). Probably more likely to be $100k by the time land acquisition is included. (Having a tough time finding appropriate zoned land in desirable retirement locales). Assessing one in Hill Country TX today. ~8 acres currently with 3 houses and no restrictions.

generally congenial neighborhood Now how to find GCN's ? a great project to pursue. Similar to NORC with a 'twist'. One property I am working on in WA for an Ag cottage community, we are doing just that. Aligning the neighborhood with mutual objectives and working with what is in place. That should be pretty obtainable, but long process (We are 2 yrs into it). Probably take 5 yrs to really get started. (about the same as a co-op)

Old 02-25-2013, 01:49 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,764,670 times
It looks like the OP has moved on, but I was thinking she could post in state forums with the climate she likes inquiring about neighborhoods that have active community gardens, organic markets etc. Then build an infill house if she likes new construction.

I think that when someone wants to live EXCLUSIVELY around people who share such lifestyle views there is a problem.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:16 AM

450 posts, read 928,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I live in a small house. It's a 400sq one bedroom cottage, and I have absolutely no room. You might think that they're adorable, but you're going to have to get rid of almost everything that you own to fit into it. Think twice about them, and consider 700-800sqft as being small.
I have approx. 800 sq. ft. in a post WWII subdivision in a small city in Ohio. Years ago, people referred to these as "crackerbox houses". In the ensuing decades however they have been remodeled, added to, landscaped etc. Now, the subdivision has become an attractive neighborhood providing starter homes for young couples or soft landing spots for older folks like me comfortably downsizing. However, I agree with the OP about the midwestern winters, just too cold and depressing for me. Florida is on my retirement horizon, but I will miss it here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or