U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 AM

111 posts, read 184,200 times

Advertisements

Building Green -- I would love to building an adorable small cottage in a great active community (I'm only 56) however, I've been searching the net for the past year, and have yet to discover such a place.

I found some adorable "small home builders" and plans (tumbleweedhouse.com) but I would like to take it a step further and find communities where everyone lives together in harmony, i.e., co-op gardens, thinks organic, etc.

And oh yes -- no. 1 on my list is living in a warm climate because I do NOT want to remain in the Midwest and continue to freeze my butt off and shovel!

Does such a place exist? Any input is so greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 11:03 AM

28,490 posts, read 62,120,010 times
The
Kumbaya stuff aside...
As mentioned to another poster in another thread recently if you want the small house you're pretty much going to have to build it yourself and to get *most* of the other things that'll pretty much have to be done as "infill" construction in an established walkable neighborhood.

It's doable.. but you better start looking for the ground now and in a town where the building codes or zoning don't have minimum sq footage requirements. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:47 AM

13,324 posts, read 25,283,552 times
I live in a small house. It's a 400sq one bedroom cottage, and I have absolutely no room. You might think that they're adorable, but you're going to have to get rid of almost everything that you own to fit into it. Think twice about them, and consider 700-800sqft as being small.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:59 PM

116 posts, read 246,134 times
Check out Civano on Houghton Road in Tucson!

Last edited by FisherOne; 08-28-2011 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: fix

Old 08-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose3408 View Post
Building Green -- ...
Does such a place exist? Any input is so greatly appreciated.
plenty of resources / choices here
Intentional Communities - ecovillages, communes, cohousing, coops

Not sure what it takes to get into this existing one (become staff or faculty?)
It is pretty nice. (as are several others in Davis, CA (Co-ops and IC's)
Aggie Village Cottages - Davis Wiki.

I plan to form a PNW housing co-op for active (and aging) seniors.
It will have very small cottages + some 4 plexes and a skilled / memory care unit w/ out patient rehab (to lower the costs to resident members). I'm not gonna be done with this anytime soon... hopefully by the time I need it myself.

It will have shop, greenhouse, cafe (open to public) and community building. (with extra guest rooms).

Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 PM

111 posts, read 184,200 times
Just to clarify, I wasn't thinking of the size of a closet, and more around 700 - 1,000 sq.ft.

StealthRabbit -- put me on your waiting list!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 AM

since you are in WI, go visit some of these:
Senior Cooperative Foundation Especially a 'homestead' (they are rural and a bit more my style, tho they are a tad more 'institutional' than I would prefer....). We need to consider we are only AGING at this point, NOT often getting more agile and wanting to care for a home. I like what Terry was trying to accomplish in the "homestead" model. I am less pleased with Village or Realife, but they are nice too (just a bit weak in management / resident culture / training. )

If in the Cities, check out senior living, Becketwood Cooperative Home. It is my favorite (if I wanted to live in a Midwest city). My friend was manager there but last year died of a very aggressive cancer. He was on the 'wait list' to get a place at Becketwood, but wanted to travel for a few yrs AFTER retirement (which he never saw). You will note these co-ops generally have folks age 75+, BUT I have found several in their 50's who enjoy the 'carefree' living. If they allowed 'subleasing' (so I could live overseas for a few yrs) I would be buying a share NOW. 7500 York (Edina) is worth a visit. They are into the 3rd generation of owners now!! (share units getting transferred to next gen ). Oh, How I wish my Grandparents would have bought a share in a Senior Housing Coop back in the 1970's....

Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If in the Cities, check out senior living, Becketwood Cooperative Home. It is my favorite (if I wanted to live in a Midwest city). My friend was manager there but last year died of a very aggressive cancer. He was on the 'wait list' to get a place at Becketwood, but wanted to travel for a few yrs AFTER retirement (which he never saw). You will note these co-ops generally have folks age 75+, BUT I have found several in their 50's who enjoy the 'carefree' living. If they allowed 'subleasing' (so I could live overseas for a few yrs) I would be buying a share NOW. 7500 York (Edina) is worth a visit. They are into the 3rd generation of owners now!! (share units getting transferred to next gen ). Oh, How I wish my Grandparents would have bought a share in a Senior Housing Coop back in the 1970's....
I don't immediately get the difference between Becketwood and Uplands, in concept. In neither case do you own the land your home sits on, and in both cases you are paying probably a hefty monthly fee to cover a range of expenses. Apparently at uplands, something like half the proceeds on the sale (when you sell or your estate does) goes back to Uplands. Other differences/similarities?

Also, I learned that Uplands has some rental apts. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge/photos of those, and costs (both in Tenn. and Va.)?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:57 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
There is an earthship colony in Taos, NM. Not small homes but VERY GREEN and very cool. If you have not heard of them, they are worth researching.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't immediately get the difference between Becketwood and Uplands, ....

Also, I learned that Uplands has some rental apts. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge/photos of those, and costs (both in Tenn. and Va.)?
HUGE difference between the two; Becketwood is a co-op, you DO NOT own your land / apartment, you own a proportional share of the entire complex ( BW is a Market rate, Co-op, MOST senior co-ops are "limited equity" +/- for each).

Upland is a hybrid / private ownership (with some conditions on sale / proceeds) . Some ''reductions-in-equity' (not so with co-ops... You sell / transfer via your estate your 'co-op equity Share' ownership. ) I.e. you will note that Credit unions deal in 'SHARES'. Each member is a full fledged Owner of the Co-op, and it should be operated and registered as participating in the 7 co-op principles. (namely one member one vote, in support and for the benefit of each member, support of other co-ops. There is great synergy in a well run co-op, there is great pain in a crummy one (not so uncommon in our 'capitalistic' society.) WE (USA) really don't have a mind for Co-ops. Scandinavia, Spain, Italy they are key to the economy and the community.

As you know I'm not keen on Uplands, TN. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I'm sure it is just swell for many, but I will guess there a plenty of malcontents there too. I looked over the rental units. They are 'duplex 4 plex' Single story 70's style. about 1.4th mile and across the street from Uplands main business office. As I mentioned, it is not really a 'town / community' with stores and such. It is more along the lines of a rural 'planned' subdivision. With some multi level units for Assisted living. It is a decent ride to services ~ 20 - 30 minutes. (depending on how far into Crossville you need to go.)

BTW, I just attended a regional PNW 'brainstorm' on building 'sustainable communities / economies' . Ironically (but not surprising) , the best success stories came from a grassroots action during severe community persecution / strife. (not pleasant / 'dreaming)'. It Takes MUCH work and plenty of risk, but for many (me) it is keen to be a 'change-agent', or at least open minded enough to let it happen (in spite of you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or