Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 AM

507 posts, read 1,533,028 times

Advertisements

Anyone here retire around age 50? If so I would love to hear how it's been going? Did you relocate, get bored, get a part time job, love it, hate it, deal with jealous people, get closer to your spouse, find new hobbies..........??

I would love to hear as much about it as you want to share

DH and I are getting ready to early retire and move at the end of the year, I am excited as can be, but it's uncharted waters for us, so I keep wondering what kinds of things to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
If work/jobs was the only thing standing between you and boredom, it will likely be a disaster and not long before you're looking for work. If you had full lives in addition to jobs then it just might work.

Treat it as an adventure!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,594,662 times
All of the above, went out at 53. I certainly never missed working, in fact I get nightmares about it. Moved 4 times in the first six years. Money hasn't been a problem but now my health is deteriorating. I wish I had travelled more.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,037,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
Anyone here retire around age 50? If so I would love to hear how it's been going? Did you relocate, get bored, get a part time job, love it, hate it, deal with jealous people, get closer to your spouse, find new hobbies..........??
We did all of the above. I left my job at 47, then worked part time at a travel bookstore while going back to school for language classes. A year and a half later, quit the work force completely and moved to Europe.

Husband retired at 55, joined me 3.5 years later in Europe. We travelled extensively.

Moved back to the States after seven years. Moved to a few different states since then. We move for the same reason we travel: to learn and love new destinations. We'll move again next year to another state.

After moving back stateside, husband worked on and off at a part-time job for a couple of years, not because of boredom, but because the job was interesting. When we moved to a different state, he called it quit.

I took up knitting, made a few dozens sweaters, scarves, and hats. Now daughter asked me to crochet a couple of bunnies, so I'm starting on toys! I read voraciously, but that's not a new hobby.

So yes, we did everything you mentioned (including dealing with jealous people) though we were/are always very close and couldn't see how to get any closer in our relationship without living in each other's pocket. We did everything but the "get bored, hate it" part. We were never bored since retirement. We traded our consummated lifestyle for one with just the essentials and loving it. Does not matter what we do or don't do, or how we do or don't do it, we tell each other often, "It's a good life, isn't it?"

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 08-29-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,087,419 times
I've mentioned this previously but I retired as a parking director at a major university at age 47 with a 25 yr, 50% of salary retirement for life. I then had a facelift and boob job and became a stripper for the next 10.5 yrs until I had back surgery and the doc said going back to dancing around on 6" + heels would lead to more back surgery. Meanwhile, my dead EX-husband died and left me his pension so I'm doing just fine. I've been very lucky and of course, rather adventureous. So you see, early retirement can be full of fun and surprises.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:03 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,831,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If work/jobs was the only thing standing between you and boredom, it will likely be a disaster and not long before you're looking for work. If you had full lives in addition to jobs then it just might work. Treat it as an adventure!
Curmedgeon is absolutely correct, IMO. Just want to add that even if you're in the "work/jobs was the only thing standing between you and boredom" category, looking for another job is not the ony solution. Many folks have succeeded in creating new interests, new activities, and/or new hobbies outside of paid employment. It just requires an open mind and a willingness to try new things. If the first thing doesn't work out, try something else. Ditto for the second thing, and the third.

Also, I don't think retiring at 50 is that much different from retiring at 60, apart from financial issues. The adjustments are the same, except that at 50 your years of good health remaining will probably be more. (And the OP wasn't about financial issues anyway, but about lifestyle issues).

Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 PM

43 posts, read 70,670 times
My DH and I both retired at the same time in 2010; I was 52 and he was 59. Within six months of retiring, we sold our house in Oklahoma and moved to southern California (downsizing from 2-story, 3000 SF on 2 acres to a single-story 950-foot condo). To my surprise, neither of us has had any problem adjusting to a smaller space and having very little "stuff." In fact, our new place seems just the right size, while our former place had become a burden.

We are both MUCH more physically active than when we were working. I do tai chi, yoga, and weight lifting; we both play badminton and table tennis regularly, and go hiking frequently. We both read voraciously. I'm taking a French class and my DH is teaching himself Italian (via online software). One thing that hasn't changed is that we continue to enjoy international travel and try to do one overseas trip every year or so. We'd like to keep that up as long as our health permits.

I admit that I miss the intellectual stimulation and challenge of my work (I was an assistant attorney general for the State); I also miss the comraderie of the group I worked with there. What I don't miss is the stress that, after 35 years, had worn me to a nub.

I also miss the conversations my DH and I had while we were working. I loved discussing legal issues and cases with him (he was a law professor); now our conversations are much less esoteric and the only time we talk about such stuff is while watching old reruns of Law and Order.

It was a real adjustment getting used to having no set schedule -- for months, I felt at loose ends and antsy because I wasn't doing anything "constructive." That's mostly gone, except for a vague sense of guilt that I got to retire at a relatively young age, while my friends are all still working. But I must admit, after so many years of early rising to go to work, I LOVE sleeping in!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:59 AM

391 posts, read 784,369 times
I retired at 49 and lvoed it. My wife thought I should be working so I started a one man business. Its now become more than a full time job. I loved it before but now its just hard work.

In the last week 3 people I know died in their early 60s. Im 55. My wife is now retired and I would again its just that its hard to walk away from my business as I'm makiing money now.

I really like the stimulation of a business but its a physical job and Im breaking down.

I too am really worried about being bored. I was fine when retired before but now that I've had so much fun with a business, I realize I like this.

I see many of my friends that retired early, sitting around having coffee twice a day. Just watching that gives me a headache.

But its a small window where you can be physically active when retired. At 49 I was in terrific shape. Now I'm strong but out of shape. Six years made a huge difference in my physical shape.

Therefore, I think you should try retiring early. I always say, its not for life. YOu can still go back to work. Just don't get trapped.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,831,509 times
Default Finding another job not so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
Therefore, I think you should try retiring early. I always say, its not for life. YOu can still go back to work. Just don't get trapped.
Depending on one's education and skills, it may not be so easy to go back to work. The economy has still not fully recovered from the meltdown of 2007-2008 and the prospects for a rapid recovery seem nil in the next year or so. Many small businesses have failed and closed. Public sector jobs have been squeezed as states, counties, and cities bite the bullet budget-wise. Many teachers have been laid off.

It would be prudent to make sure of your financial situation before retiring early.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 AM

37,215 posts, read 60,933,271 times
I got my pension at 42. We were living in Italy at the time, came back stateside and began cashing out our portfolio. We had decided to go to Maine and buy land for a farm. Immediately we became licensed as Foster-Parents and did a few years fostering. Later, after we located and bought land in Maine, we moved onto it and I built a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement