U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 01:42 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,777,623 times

Advertisements

Well.... how many of you remember that little jingle from your childhoods? It was a clothing store for kids. My dad was a teacher and refused to go there because it started about August 1, and he considered thst he had another two weeks of time and this was an invasion of his personal privacy.'

I watched the busses go by my house this morning for the first time in 58 years. It was the first September in 58 years that I wasn't either in school, or working in a school.

My wife retired with me in June, but lost it. She was lured back to teach at the school that she had emeritus/FOUNDER status for starting it back in 1994. The current head of school(a job she held herself until she hired this woman to replace her and went back to her joy of teaching kindergarten kids), was hoping to get her to return to teach the 3 and 4 year olds science in the afternoon. When she agreed, under her breath the Head whipered, "Thank you Jesus"!

But I'm not lured back. I cleaned the house today, worked on my study of digital editing, and am getting dinner ready, since I am the new house husband.

I'm working on my bucket list.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 02:51 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,167,665 times
Hate to say that I remember it, I vaguely remember their Christmas jingle as well.

Actually they were a decent company too bad they vanished.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:51 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,463,318 times
Remember it well, as well as many others. No lure to return for me although a great number of my former employees still wish I would. Not happenin' and no, as in zero, regrets. My wife, who was in the same field (politics/public policy) and retired early, has no regrets either. We were both reminiscing today and laughing at some of the absurdities. No going back, ever!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:25 PM

135 posts, read 496,447 times
Remember it very well in the Chicago area in the 1950's. It was received with universal boos by us kids.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:07 PM

6,345 posts, read 7,821,225 times
I remember Robert Hall stores quite well. It wasn't just a kid's clothing store. They had something for everyone in the family. Dad could get a pretty decent suit for a good price. I do agree that the jingles would get on your nerves after hearing them just about every hour.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:00 PM

973 posts, read 1,488,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearringtonflash View Post
Remember it very well in the Chicago area in the 1950's. It was received with universal boos by us kids.

Me, too! That was where my bother and I got our Easter outfits every year....UNTIL MALLS began being built.

BUT more importantly your wife went BACK???? WHY??????? Thirty-four years come this June will be enough for me!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,463,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearringtonflash View Post
It was first of the warehouse type stores and ahead of its time.

You should be happy to know that the chain went bankrupt in 1977 and disappeared, along with their jingles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement