U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM

7,338 posts, read 16,634,853 times

Advertisements

texdav, I understand how you feel, BUT this "age discrimination" thing happens a whole lot more to us older folks.........and many-to-most of them will totally agree that fact on this forum. And, this question is being asked in this forum which is for the "older" people, like myself and wife. The younger generation posts on the Work and Employment forum and I don't see them posting "age discrimination" threads on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is just a comment from a perosn;who likely has seen it much really.It happen to everyone ;not just the old. i have been surprised at what soem younger people hae experienced and know at times. nopthig unusual really. I have ebben o mnay promtion borad in my past employer and was always amused at just why theor weho were not given jobs thought they did not get them as most tiems they were completely wrong from knowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 AM

6,213 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Age discrimination?? Yup as a retiree I see it all the time and love it. Due to my age I have a senior pass for free entry in national parks and many other federal facilities which charge fees to younger people. Reduced fees for seniors are commonplace for private businesses and stores. Even income and property taxes are often reduced for seniors. I am not sure why we qualify for all of these benefits. It seems that we were supposed to work but then squander our money and retire poor. So we want to reward that behavior and encourage it for future generations.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,377,799 times
Default Thank you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've been reading your posts on the AK forum and I have to tell you that I really admire your 'gumption' and attitude. You WILL get what you want, eventually, I just know it!
I believe I've been given a second chance to start a new chapter in my life. I do have my doubts at times but that doesn't last too long and I keep making my lists, checking off the tasks completed and taking one step at a time.

I can't let age discrimination or any other unfair judgements get the best of me. I've dealt with human behavior for the last 35 years. (I've worked in some type of customer service job that long geez )... I've seen some of the best things in human nature and I've definitely seen some of the worst. I'm just the type to concentrate on the great things and remember the worse things for possible future experiences.

I so appreciate your words AZ... I do want to spend the rest of my days on earth in Alaska... I believe that is where I should be.... hard work and the satisfaction of a job well done at the end of a long day. Don't forget the beauty that could hurt your eyes...

Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 PM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I believe I've been given a second chance to start a new chapter in my life. I do have my doubts at times but that doesn't last too long and I keep making my lists, checking off the tasks completed and taking one step at a time.

I can't let age discrimination or any other unfair judgements get the best of me. I've dealt with human behavior for the last 35 years. (I've worked in some type of customer service job that long geez )... I've seen some of the best things in human nature and I've definitely seen some of the worst. I'm just the type to concentrate on the great things and remember the worse things for possible future experiences.

I so appreciate your words AZ... I do want to spend the rest of my days on earth in Alaska... I believe that is where I should be.... hard work and the satisfaction of a job well done at the end of a long day. Don't forget the beauty that could hurt your eyes...
I believe you are a strong person and you will realize your goals. I've dealt with discrimination since my early 50s but haven't let it stop me either.

Like you I have dealt with the public my entire working life. Restaurants, hotels, retail, etc. and, yes, you learn to laugh at the absurdity of human beings. And appreciate the truly good ones. The good, the bad and the ugly you just learn to deal with and learn from.

Don't blame you for wanting to go to AK. I lived up there for a couple of years and it is an awesome place. I spent a good deal of my time exploring and enjoying it. I fell in love with it but it wasn't meant to be my 'forever home' and I'm just happy I got to experience it.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I believe you are a strong person and you will realize your goals. I've dealt with discrimination since my early 50s but haven't let it stop me either.

Like you I have dealt with the public my entire working life. Restaurants, hotels, retail, etc. and, yes, you learn to laugh at the absurdity of human beings. And appreciate the truly good ones. The good, the bad and the ugly you just learn to deal with and learn from.

Don't blame you for wanting to go to AK. I lived up there for a couple of years and it is an awesome place. I spent a good deal of my time exploring and enjoying it. I fell in love with it but it wasn't meant to be my 'forever home' and I'm just happy I got to experience it.
I might ask you some pointers when I get closer to the move

have a great holiday weekend

Old 09-02-2011, 02:55 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
I was laid off at the age of 55. I had degrees and experience but my competition was younger and they all seemed to get the jobs. I was told by an employment agency that people over 50 and often over 40 have difficulty in finding work because of age discrimination.

So I went back to school and got a paralegal degree. Still no job. I joined a group of over 45'ers looking for work and we all had the same story.

Finally I did get a job through networking and a very good one. But I had been out of work for two and a half years.

As time went by, I saw my fellow older workers being laid off, fired or pressured to the point where they had to quit. I was one of the lucky ones they wanted to keep around because I had made myself invaluable to the department. But it was clear the company wanted young people for the most part.

The only other discrimination I find in my older years is the attitude of some younger people who have a difficult time dealing with older people in general. But I figure that's their (the young ones') problem.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I was laid off at the age of 55. I had degrees and experience but my competition was younger and they all seemed to get the jobs. I was told by an employment agency that people over 50 and often over 40 have difficulty in finding work because of age discrimination.

So I went back to school and got a paralegal degree. Still no job. I joined a group of over 45'ers looking for work and we all had the same story.

Finally I did get a job through networking and a very good one. But I had been out of work for two and a half years.

As time went by, I saw my fellow older workers being laid off, fired or pressured to the point where they had to quit. I was one of the lucky ones they wanted to keep around because I had made myself invaluable to the department. But it was clear the company wanted young people for the most part.

The only other discrimination I find in my older years is the attitude of some younger people who have a difficult time dealing with older people in general. But I figure that's their (the young ones') problem.
I do find it interesting that there are some who have a hard time talking with you when they know your age... I do smile quite a bit so they will usually talk with me... once they get to know me as a person, they always say... geez I never knew how energetic older people can be... LOL... makes me laugh everytime.

I don't let it bother me most of the time... the job thing does though. I've had to adapt so many times in my career because of this issue... it is what it is and I research that much more.. I make it a point to bring up many statistics about the company and my interest in their future... it will get me second interviews. Now to get the final offer right??

Have a great weekend..

Old 09-02-2011, 06:40 PM

7,491 posts, read 6,472,992 times
Oh, age discrimination is alive and well, which is why it is such a joke that the retirement age is being raised. Our older American workers are the first to be laid off, and the last to be hired. Yes, of course there are exceptions, but they are just that -- exceptions. Those out of work elders that cannot get jobs will be forced either on welfare, or the streets.

I just have to shake my head every time I hear about wanting less government involvement in our lives, and reducing the "entitlements."

The entitlements are mostly the services to the elderly that fostered our lives and lifestyle to begin with, and now we want to turn them out.

Most of the laws on the books are there because one industry or another took advantage of it's workers, or the public trust, and someone cried "there should be a law." Now, we claim the world will be a better place because we're getting rid of the government that upholds the laws -- and giving the foxes the keys to the hen house.

I cannot tell if we've lost our minds, or our hearts. I can only play the refrain in my head: "Forgive them Lord, for they know not."

Old 09-03-2011, 06:45 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I do find it interesting that there are some who have a hard time talking with you when they know your age... I do smile quite a bit so they will usually talk with me... once they get to know me as a person, they always say... geez I never knew how energetic older people can be... LOL... makes me laugh everytime.

I don't let it bother me most of the time... the job thing does though. I've had to adapt so many times in my career because of this issue... it is what it is and I research that much more.. I make it a point to bring up many statistics about the company and my interest in their future... it will get me second interviews. Now to get the final offer right??

Have a great weekend..
That reminded me of something that happened at work last week. I was talking to one of the girls from the office and told her that I really wish I could get more weeks of having two days in a row off. I told her, kinda joking, that I'm "OLD", I get tired and I really need more than "one day in a row off". She said, "But you don't ACT old!" so I guess I'll have to start acting old and decrepit to get two days in a row off!

Old 09-03-2011, 06:59 AM

Well.. intersting enough, I've used the term "OLD" at times as a pun... joke around a bit and most take my comments as feeling insecure about my age.. ... Too Funny!!

Why do they feel insecure about me joking about it... I will always keep trying to do new and interesting things.. is there a cut off age or rule for this??... if there is I know I'm going to break those rules.. enjoy your day AZ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or