U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:17 AM

973 posts, read 1,489,858 times

Advertisements

I don't have any insight to add as in education, if you are already teaching, I haven't seen any age discrimination per se, except if the administration thinks you have turned crabby and such, they tend to give you bad classes, so you will retire and not stick around after retirement age. But I am sure that if I tried to get a job at my age and experience, at my age, I would not be able to as the school could hire two teachers for what they would have to pay me.

I do feel sad when I read of so many of you (and across the country) who get laid off seemingly due to age. The 50's was suppose to be when you were at the peak of your career and earnings, but withing the last few decades, this is no longer the case. But I am doubly sad due to the non-ethical decisions of this that tend to drive these decisions, esp. when the employee has been so loyal and productive.

But the irony of all of this, is that I have heard some employers being interviewed on news programs that they do prefer older employees as they seem to take less sick days are more reliable and can write the language correctly! So.... I am really NOT sure what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 07:08 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,079,972 times
We are both retired (early) from a career with upper age limitations. We decided that one of us would look for part time work to augment our retirement, if for no other reason than our property taxes are closing in on 5 figures now and the rising costs of food and gasoline are eating into our budget. So I started looking first. I applied only to job openings where I directly met their stated qualifications, where I had specific expertise, interest and experience where I would be sure to be a good fit. To the close to a dozen applications in July I receive zero response.

So my husband had a go at it. He approached the search similarly. And for one part time opening advertised by Delta Airlines, he received a rejection letter stating that he didn't meet the job qualifications when he had in fact had direct experience in the exact job that he applied for and when he called to get an answer received the corporate run around. The irony of the situation is this: They hired my 19 year old nephew out of high school for the same job. We will never fly Delta again though we were frequent fliers.

We both have impeccable career references, education, maturity and reliability to offer an employer but can't seem to get those hiring to see our worth. I have also run my own business in the past that was well received and reviewed by the public. We are strong, in better shape and work harder physically than most people decades younger. We don't need health insurance, a fact that I started putting on my resumes to help ease that concern and yet the sound of silence is deafening.

Even though this area of the country has not been as hard hit as others and despite the fact that there are a plethora of job openings locally, I have been very surprised and taken aback by the fact that apparently in my early 50s, I and my husband are out to pasture in the eyes of most employers. We have decided to sell our house to make our own opportunities because God knows we could beat our heads against a brick wall till bloody and we don't want to go down that road.

Age discrimination is alive and well folks. If you have a job and don't believe it, I can understand that. You have to be on the outside looking in to see what is completely obvious to me now. Good luck to all that are looking for work and over 50.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,218,356 times
My youngest son couldn't even get a job bagging groceries after he returned from a job teaching English in China. When he finally found a job, he was laid off after about 6 months. It took an additional 4 years and hundreds of applications before he scored a full time position 500 miles from home.

This is not to say that age discrimination does not occur. I learned that it is extremely helpful if you can submit a resume that does not suggest your age. For example, if a college degree is not required for the position, don't include it. If it is required, leave off the date of graduation if it would suggest you are in your 50s. If the company is going to reject you because of your age, let it be AFTER you've had an opportunity to interview.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd hire the 50+ year old versus the 22 year old. Unless I believed the 50+ year old was suffering a financial hardship, I'd probably hire the 22 year old. I feel really sad for these kids.
Grandpa still works, kids can't find jobs - Video - Business News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or