Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:56 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times

Advertisements

Some sites are not updated as often as you might like. So, if you find somepleace attractive, double check on that state's site to verify the information.

Taxation information is often quite different for retirees than it is for relocating working families.

Some magazine did a financial comparision for retirement purposes, and found the 2 (out of 3) lower counties of the state of Delaware to be the very best for retirees. Some states look good, but the city and county sales and property taxes will knock you for a loop, so it is important to check these out, as well.

I don't know the entire status now, but I was surprised to find so many multi-millionaires in Texas and Florida. Then, I discovered that in those two states it is illegal to take a person's home from them in a court judgement, so swindlers and crooks and people fearing that the feds will catch up with them some day will move there and sink most of their money into their mansions or ranches. Now, any 'monied' person who resides in one of these states gets a sideways glance from some people.

For financial comparisons, this site tries to give you as much info as possible, even trying to give local town info sometimes. It is one of the few sites that gives information on the New York State generous STAR system, something I have found hard to find and it was only by interviewing local people that I initially discovered it:

Taxes by State

If you want to relocate near a teaching hospital, here is a site I found that lists them in every state:

New York Teaching Hospitals

If you like the idea of going back to school, here is a site that lists the colleges and universities in each state. Some have programs just for seniors, some at very reasonable costs. Some have retired people giving classes in their areas of expertise:

US Colleges, Community Colleges, & Universities by State(by Region) | American Universities by State
Elderhostel : LLI News: September 2007

If this idea is appealing, google 'learning in retirement' or ILR (institute for learing in retirement). Your local community college may have some interesting offerings.

There is Elderhostel for travelling with peers:

Elderhostel : USA Programs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:03 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30apples View Post
Thanks very much for all the good suggestions. I didn't add in my letter that allergies are a problem in addition to heat and high humidity, so Tenn., Ark., and S.C. wouldn't fill the bill for us. Albuquerque/Santa Fe and Saratoga,NY are possibilities, however. I'll look into northern NM, though I notice that they don't give us much of a tax break.
To Ellwood; What do you pay for property taxes on how much ($) house? I've heard that prop. taxes are very high even for retired people. Someone on the NH forum said that they used to live in the mid-Hudson area and that their present cost of living, prop. taxes, car ins., etc was much cheaper than in the mid- Hudson area. Any insight on that? What are the winters like in Saratoga and from what state did you move from, for comparison? does it seem gray much of the time? Thanks very much for your help.
We have 3+ acres, 2300 sq ft house (1.5 yrs old). Taxes before veterans allowance, senior citizen discount, energy star are $5K. We are moving from NJ; car insurance, house insurance are much cheaper. We have noticed cost of food and goods at Home Depot less than NJ. Saratoga does not get lake effect snow; last year a few storms, with the most 2'. Roads are cleared quickly and nicely. Weather has been beautiful past two seasons. Rainfall has been minimal since spring. Haven't seen many gray skies. You can PM me if you would like. Interesting site for seniors considering taxes in various states:Taxes by State

Old 10-04-2007, 02:10 PM

178 posts, read 801,186 times
Goldengrain; wow, thanks for all the sites you included. i'm particularly interested in living near a college or univ for the culture, library, and classes. I'll check that out. relocating is certainly a FULL-time job! The taxes by state is really very informative, as well.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:13 PM

Thanks a lot for all the info, Ellwood. The insurance costs and tax info is interesting.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:16 PM

Ellwood, How do you send a PM? I've checked diff. options, and can't find how to do it? Thanks.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:39 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
Ellwood, How do you send a PM? I've checked diff. options, and can't find how to do it? Thanks.
You should be able to click on ELLWOOD and a pull-down menu will appear which will allow you to PM me.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Goldengrain; wow, thanks for all the sites you included. i'm particularly interested in living near a college or univ for the culture, library, and classes. I'll check that out. relocating is certainly a FULL-time job! The taxes by state is really very informative, as well.
Yes.
Classes are a great way to 'know' a person before you introduce yourself. This way, you already know if you hold common opinions and are less likely to be dissappointed.

You might also google 'conversation cafe' to see if there are these informal discussion groups meeting in coffee houses or book stores.

There are Ethical Culture Societies(athiest/agnostic) which carry on Socrates Cafe type meetings regularly and a local professor also does this in a bookstore.

People with a religious viewpoint DO come to these things.

Every now and again there are 'eccumenical' meetings/discussions in my area, but they tend to dissappoint as they usually only comprise the Old Testiment religions and I really like eastern ideas.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:41 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
I liked your comment about classes being a great way to "know" people before getting into relationships with them. I would also recommend clubs like Toastmasters for anyone who has moved to a new town. This is a club where people practice giving speeches, and usually the speeches are about themselves (or, about things that interest the speaker). You usually hear a lot of funny stories for less $$ than a comedy club, and becuase you learn so much about people it's a pretty good place to make new friends.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I liked your comment about classes being a great way to "know" people before getting into relationships with them. I would also recommend clubs like Toastmasters for anyone who has moved to a new town. This is a club where people practice giving speeches, and usually the speeches are about themselves (or, about things that interest the speaker). You usually hear a lot of funny stories for less $$ than a comedy club, and becuase you learn so much about people it's a pretty good place to make new friends.
You are a gutsy guy, Normie.

Wasn't there a poll that concluded people feared public speaking more than death, and just above snakes?

Nice idea, though, for the courageous.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:45 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Yup, I'm a gutsy gal (I guess).

Of course, I think most of us are gutsy because we have the courage to be able to move to a new place where we don't know anyone. I'm betting most people who read this forum have the same adventurous (gusty) spirit.

My neighbors think I'm nuts, but I've moved many new places without knowing a soul, and it's always been a grand adventure. The trick is to find other gutsy people... and they're the ones joining clubs, taking classes, and taking chances.

Let's hear it for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement