U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:47 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,947,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
...For this reason DH and I have listed each other as beneficiaries of and co-owners on everything; bank accounts, insurance, our properties, even vehicles and our registered cattle...
Sometimes it doesn't make sense to put things in joint name. For example - cars in a state like Florida where the owner is responsible for any negligence of someone driving the car with the consent of the owner. Forgetting about 3rd parties driving a car - if spouse 1 drives car A most of the time - that car should be in spouse 1's name. Ditto if spouse 2 drives car B most of the time. Even if both spouses drive a car 50/50 - the car should be in one spouse's name - because the odds are 50/50 that the driver will be the same as the owner if there's an accident.

FWIW - I'd apply the same rule to other things you own that might hurt people - like dogs - and maybe even cattle . Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 PM

2,499 posts, read 6,400,136 times
Very good information which I have saved to my documents.I have posted on this subject maybe several times.On11/10/2010 I had heart attack while wife and I were visiting daughter in CT.The good part was being in Ct with excellent doctors and hospital,Saint Francis in Hartford.
The bad part was I had not one document to cover this situation which left my wife helpless.
She was using my debit card which expires in Nov. and could not renew it.Hers unknowingly expired in Feb..To get cards to CT we had to do change of address to daughters house.The credit union would only talk to us individually.I was in rehab.
When we returned to Florida we had an attorney draw up all the necessary documents.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,428,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have created a file with all pertinent information should something happened. It contains credit card numbers, phone numbers to call if lost, how the indiviual bills are paid (utilities, cable, telephone), direct deposits, car insurance/VIN numbers/license plates, who to contact in case of death (pensions, military). All bank accounts, doctors, a copy of everything in our wallets.

In addition we have medical history files which we keep current. We carry copies of these, along with medical power of attorneys, living wills, in our RV when we travel.

Daughter has copies in her safe and we update them as needed.
My husband and I did this when I was about 54 and he was 59. All of our stuff is in our safe and my daughter has copies of pertinent information and knows exactly where to find our stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or