U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2011, 01:54 PM

18,311 posts, read 14,467,571 times
Shakey's are still found in Southern California. The one I used to go to in Costa Mesa is gone. The original restaurant in Sacramento closed shortly after I moved there in 1990 although I wasn't aware of it for several years.

College and Shakey's in SoCal just went together naturally! Of 58 remaining restaurants, 51 are in SoCal. None in our neck-o-the-woods.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Haven't seen a Shakey's in years...or a Sharkey's either. Around here it's Pizza Hut and Papa John's. Don't know what happened to Domino's but they seem to have vanished from my town too!
I believe there's a Shakey's in Nogales.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:17 PM

15,574 posts, read 17,710,747 times
It was Appian Way pizza out of a box in the early 60's. I can still remember what it tasted like. Although we thought it was special, by regular pizza standards, it was like ketchup on a piece of cardboard.
I can't remember when my first real pizza was. We lived in Worcester, a treasure trove of ethnic food, so I'm sure someone was making good pizza on Highland St. by high school in the late 60's.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:25 PM

240 posts, read 38,505 times
I had my first pizza when I was 4 years old (in 1980). The daycare center that I attended to, 5 days a week while both my parents worked, took us sometimes to Pizza Inn (which doesn't exist anymore) in Beaumont, Texas (my hometown).

I fell in love with pizza ever since! My favorite food and still is...LOL!

Old 09-06-2011, 05:58 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,201,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I believe there's a Shakey's in Nogales.
Haven't been to Nogales in years and years. No plans to go their either!

Old 09-23-2012, 10:16 AM

448 posts, read 525,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think most people over about 65 can remember the first time they ever heard of or ate pizza, which didn't become popular until the late 50s.

My first one was in Milwaukee. We were visiting my older sister, who had discovered a place in about 1953 that had pizza. It was Sicilian style, very large and cut into squares, and I think tomato sauce was the top layer. I was about 14, and had never even heard the word before. It was a general Italian restaurant, and pizza was just one of the items on their menu.

When I was in college, there was no pizza around anywhere, that was '56-58. The first one I ever ordered myself was in 1959, in Huntsville, Alabama. By 1962, pizza parlors were everywhere.

If you really want to blow your grandkids minds, instead of telling them there was no TV when you were a kid, tell them there was no pizza.
East side of Buffalo, NY, late '50's. I remember getting sick on the melted cheese. A few years later, the "Bocce Club" pizza shop opened, and theirs was the absolute best. It would be cool if someone started a thread for Buffalo Wings and Beef on Weck lovers too. Tried a "Beef on Weck" at a sports pub in Dayton, Oh. awhile back. Couldn't believe it, no horseradish and the roll was a hardroll not a Kimmelweck bun. What a fraud! Also to think, that Papa Bellissimo had the opportunity to patent the chicken wing where it was invented at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo and he never did. What a success story that would have been!

Old 09-23-2012, 04:16 PM

395 posts, read 187,127 times
1965, Chicago, not thick crust but good pizza best pizza ever, for this CA girl; years later Minneapolis came a close 2nd.

Mom's best friend, married an Italian baker and remembered in the late 1950's he made focaccia bread---manna from
heaven. Just writing about it, I can also smell the bread.

Note: Having grown up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Mom said folks on either coast ate more varity of foods, i.e. when I ordered the antipasta appetizer plate in Chicago, my co-workers, not Italian (neither am I, though Mama always went
to an Italian deli) wanted to know what weird food I was eating ! They enjoyed tomato/apple juice ? !

Xnyer: What is a kimmelweck bun?

Old 09-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck_sandwich

Old 09-23-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
1965, Chicago, not thick crust but good pizza best pizza ever, for this CA girl; years later Minneapolis came a close 2nd.

Mom's best friend, married an Italian baker and remembered in the late 1950's he made focaccia bread---manna from
heaven. Just writing about it, I can also smell the bread.

Note: Having grown up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Mom said folks on either coast ate more varity of foods, i.e. when I ordered the antipasta appetizer plate in Chicago, my co-workers, not Italian (neither am I, though Mama always went
to an Italian deli) wanted to know what weird food I was eating ! They enjoyed tomato/apple juice ? !

It's a basic hard roll topped with caraway seeds and salt crystals. The bun must be open faced, layered over with slices of lean roast beef, at least 4 or 5, smothered in beef gravy (thick preferably). Serve with a generous side of french fries doused in the gravy. Add a dollop of fresh ground horseradish, which you kind of spread over the sandwich. Enjoy your feast. Wearing a bib or cloth napkin is recommended, cause it's not a Beef on Weck unless some gravy ends up on the front of your shirt! Add a frosty mug of Molsons' Canadian Ale and you will have a culinary experience you will never forget!

Old 09-23-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Where's the gravy, fries and horseradish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement