U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,356,272 times

Advertisements

I think most people over about 65 can remember the first time they ever heard of or ate pizza, which didn't become popular until the late 50s.

My first one was in Milwaukee. We were visiting my older sister, who had discovered a place in about 1953 that had pizza. It was Sicilian style, very large and cut into squares, and I think tomato sauce was the top layer. I was about 14, and had never even heard the word before. It was a general Italian restaurant, and pizza was just one of the items on their menu.

When I was in college, there was no pizza around anywhere, that was '56-58. The first one I ever ordered myself was in 1959, in Huntsville, Alabama. By 1962, pizza parlors were everywhere.

If you really want to blow your grandkids minds, instead of telling them there was no TV when you were a kid, tell them there was no pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,524,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think most people over about 65 can remember the first time they ever heard of or ate pizza, which didn't become popular until the late 50s.

My first one was in Milwaukee. We were visiting my older sister, who had discovered a place in about 1953 that had pizza. It was Sicilian style, very large and cut into squares, and I think tomato sauce was the top layer. I was about 14, and had never even heard the word before. It was a general Italian restaurant, and pizza was just one of the items on their menu.

When I was in college, there was no pizza around anywhere, that was '56-58. The first one I ever ordered myself was in 1959, in Huntsville, Alabama. By 1962, pizza parlors were everywhere.

If you really want to blow your grandkids minds, instead of telling them there was no TV when you were a kid, tell them there was no pizza.
How right you are. I remember. It was 1958 in Triangle, VA, a small village just outside Marine Corps Schools, Quantico. Although I've had some great pies since, especially here in MO of all places, in my taste bud's memory, nothing's ever been as good as that first-ever pizza. It was a combination and became a Friday night "ritual." I was 12.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:44 PM

767 posts, read 2,005,276 times
Stationed at Ft. Monmouth, NJ in 1957, ate my first pizza in Asbury Park.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:48 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,547,187 times
1958, south side of Chicago. It was "chain" pizza, and it was *horrid*!!! So bad that it took 30 years for me to even think of trying pizza again. Such a wasted 30 years!

Someone pointed out to me that an ethnic cuisine becomes popular in the U.S. a generation or so after the migration from that ethnic population, because that's when grandma gets over here and starts cooking for everyone.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:04 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,703,348 times
Quote:

The first time I ever had pizza was in Oregon. It was a popular chain which doesn't exist anymore. I know it was after 1962 because I was old enough to drink and had a dark German beer with it. Yummy! Have to admit though, I didn't know what GOOD pizza was till I visited family in Chicago. That was great!! Detroit pizza wasn't too bad either.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:11 PM

5,178 posts, read 8,707,888 times
Smile Funny pizza story

My only experience with pizza had been my mom making them. Not good.
She was an awesome cook otherwise though so I thought that's how pizza tasted. Gross.

Anyway, I am now 16 and go on my first real date. Football game, then to pizza. (I was dreading it). Anyway, best thing I ever tasted - cut into the squares - for all you South Florida peeps

Sir Pizza, Commercial Boulevard (east), Fort Lauderdale

It was the best!!

Early 1970's!!

(awesome first date too)

Old 09-01-2011, 02:15 PM

15,849 posts, read 30,397,094 times
Quote:

Despite the fact that I grew up in the 1970s, living a sheltered life I never tasted it until I was an adult. I don't recall the "first time", but I'm thinking it was probably sometime around 1980.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-01-2011, 02:45 PM

4,492 posts, read 4,754,903 times
I think pizza was my first solid food!!! haha, no really. I literally grew up eating pizza from the best pizza place. Pizza Haven on Broadway, in Inwood, New York City.

Ahh, yes... I see it now, smell it now. There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home...

Old 09-01-2011, 02:58 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,075,679 times
Jerry's Pizza in Canoga Park, CA probably around 1966 when I was around 5. I remember they used to play Laurel and Hardy movies in the dining room and I remember the pizza man would toss us little kids a slice of pepperoni while he made the pizza behind the counter.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM

777 posts, read 957,152 times
My first Pizza was made by my Mother in the 60s from a recipe she found in the paper..she still has the clipping too. Anyway just thinking of "my Mothers" pizza makes my mouthwater..it is made on a rectangle cookie sheet because thats the bigggest thing she has and is cut in squares. I have never found a better "store bought" pizza that even rivals my Moms. If we have a family party and have the choice of BBQ or Pizza it is Pizza everytime!!! A family tradition is Moms pizza on Super Bowl Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement