Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 11:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times

Advertisements

Just ask the IRS. There are some restrictions regarding taking early retirement, including how much money you can earn, but once you're at your full retirement age, you're just taking out money for a program you paid into that you're entitled to, regardless of how much you also get from other sources - from how I understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 07:16 AM

989 posts, read 768,841 times
OP, I am also a dual citizen with US and Canada. The answer is you can collect both if you are eligible. BUT, the US will implement WEP if you have less than 30 years of substantial payments. If you Canadian is small this becomes insignificant. I clam my Canadian and have not yet claimed my US one. I also have a UK pension that I have not claimed as it is bigger than the Canadian.

From what I understand, WEP is levied once, so when I claim my US SS WEP will be levied on my small Canadian Pension.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:32 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,946,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Just ask the IRS. There are some restrictions regarding taking early retirement, including how much money you can earn, but once you're at your full retirement age, you're just taking out money for a program you paid into that you're entitled to, regardless of how much you also get from other sources - from how I understand it.
NOT the IRS. You mean the Social Security Administration! ssa.gov

Old 05-04-2019, 03:13 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
OP, I am also a dual citizen with US and Canada. The answer is you can collect both if you are eligible. BUT, the US will implement WEP if you have less than 30 years of substantial payments. If you Canadian is small this becomes insignificant. I clam my Canadian and have not yet claimed my US one. I also have a UK pension that I have not claimed as it is bigger than the Canadian.

From what I understand, WEP is levied once, so when I claim my US SS WEP will be levied on my small Canadian Pension.
Not quite.

See https://www.ssa.gov/international/Ag...ts/canada.html

where it says:
"A CPP/QPP pension may affect your U.S. benefit

If you qualify for Social Security benefits from the United States based only on U.S. credits and a CPP/QPP benefit from Canada, the amount of your U.S. benefit will be reduced."

Any OAS pension does not invoke WEP.

Your UK pension may also invoke WEP
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10199.pdf

"A U.K. pension may affect your
U.S. benefit
If you qualify for Social Security benefits from both the United States and the United Kingdom
and did not need the agreement to qualify for either benefit, the amount of your U.S. benefit
may be reduced."

Old 05-20-2019, 05:55 AM

3 posts, read 2,219 times
Default Canadian born US Citiezen retiring back in Canada. What happens to Pension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Addict View Post
I am a dual citizen of Canada and US. Since Canada's retirement age is 65 and US is 67 (in my case), is it possible to first apply for Canada's retirement plan from 65-67, then switch over to the US retirement plan?

Note I am collecting from only one system at any one time. Is there any legal implication from US and Canada.
Home Addict. I think you may be leaving money on the table. If you put in to both you can receive both.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...HRdEbB_8Nmuq74

Last edited by volosong; 05-20-2019 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: fixed close quote hypertag

Old 08-02-2022, 06:57 AM

3 posts, read 1,658 times
Default Getting retirement benefits

I worked , legally,full time for 9 years in Nerw York,USA before moving (in 2000) to Canada.As a Canadian citizen,started a full time job in 2002,paying all taxes to Canada. I learned that ,to get full USA Social Securty pension and need 40 credits(equal 10 years), while I worked and paid SS tax for 9 years to USA.I already have got a copy of my contribution records from USA social security.
I heard that "" Under a process called "totalization" the SSA will credit for CPP contributions,to be enough credit to get the 10 years needed for a Social Security pension.
Now next year I will be 65 years old and plan for retirement.

My questions are,
1- Do I qualify to get Social security Pension from USA,while working,living in Canada ?
2- When and how to apply for , in receiving in Canada ?.
3-Do I need a lawyer to apply or I can apply myself,please ?
4-Do I need to call and get appointment with Social security office in Niagra Falls,NY,USA ?

Old 08-02-2022, 07:51 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
1. Yes

2. You can start an application online, but will be referred to a US office serving your Province per https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/iclaim.htm

3. Not normally

4. Possibly, if you live in Ontario See https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/ontario.htm

Old 08-02-2022, 02:42 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post

Wow, did not realize that WEP applied to foreign pensions.

It does apply to employees that have a pension like the old Civil Service retirement pensions. My social security benefit was reduced from 550 a month to 180 dollars a month.

WEP is serious stuff.

You really want to be SURE on how it applies to your situation.

BTW...I did pay into Canada Pension, but Social Security was totally clueless about how it applied in my case. It didn't matter in my case, but it sounds like it DOES MATTER in your case.

You might want to find somebody that REALLY understands the WEP provision. That would NOT be the Social Security Administration.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:09 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,150,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Wow, did not realize that WEP applied to foreign pensions.

It does apply to employees that have a pension like the old Civil Service retirement pensions. My social security benefit was reduced from 550 a month to 180 dollars a month.

WEP is serious stuff.

You really want to be SURE on how it applies to your situation.

BTW...I did pay into Canada Pension, but Social Security was totally clueless about how it applied in my case. It didn't matter in my case, but it sounds like it DOES MATTER in your case.

You might want to find somebody that REALLY understands the WEP provision. That would NOT be the Social Security Administration.

Explanation of impact of WEP on Social Security benefit.

"The Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) is a formula used to adjust Social Security worker benefits for people who receive “non-covered pensions” and qualify for Social Security benefits based on other Social Security–covered earnings. a A non-covered pension is a pension paid by an employer that does not withhold Social Security taxes from your salary, typically, state and local governments or non-U.S. employers.

Congress passed the WEP to prevent workers who receive non-covered pensions from receiving higher Social Security benefits as if they were long-time, low-wage earners. b In 2020, the WEP applied to 3.0 percent of all beneficiaries (1.95 million beneficiaries out of 64.85 million total beneficiaries)."

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/prog...red%20earnings.

Old 08-02-2022, 04:07 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
Which country do you claim as your residence; you can't have both? It's probably the one where you live and pay taxes now. If you're a US resident, you may only be able to claim Canadian benefits based on your work history and contributions - that's been my understanding as a dual citizen residing in the US. If you reside in Canada, you can still obtain Social Security based on your work history, but there would be no point in taking any but the free Part A of Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement