U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:52 AM

28,237 posts, read 39,884,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
Lately, I've been mulling over how to make this last part of my life worthwhile and meaningful.

I devoted the first twenty-some years learning and the middle forty working, raising kids, contributing what I could to making the world a better place to live.

Now what?

I feel I should be doing more in the world than volunteer at the food bank and host holiday gatherings. But what?

Twenty/thirty years is too much precious time to just fritter away. But for the life of me can't figure out what the next step is.
They need help in Africa...

Extreme Poverty in Africa - Hunger, Diseases and Deaths in Africa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 AM

How about a class on what differences we can make politically? We all know AARP is active, but what would happen if there was a Gray Party?

We have the resources. We have the time certainly. We have the numbers.

The Gray Party could change the entire course of American History.

Let's start with a grass roots, Face Book, and Twitter campaign to un-elect every member of congress.

Hmmm, wait. First we have to teach all us old farts how to use Face Book and Twitter... Then we change the world.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 AM

688 posts, read 864,292 times
Quote:
Lately, I've been mulling over how to make this last part of my life worthwhile and meaningful.

I devoted the first twenty-some years learning and the middle forty working, raising kids, contributing what I could to making the world a better place to live.

Now what?

I feel I should be doing more in the world than volunteer at the food bank and host holiday gatherings. But what?

Twenty/thirty years is too much precious time to just fritter away. But for the life of me can't figure out what the next step is.

one tool that some people find useful when they seem to be at a crosswords in life is journaling. putting things down on paper- dreams, concerns, fears,possible goals,-can often help a person gain some insight into their own situation, and provide clarity about choices and direction. starting and keeping a journal is really a means of self- exploration that, i find, can accelerate personal development. it really is a conversation, without judgement, we can have with ourselves.
i understand for some people the idea of writing anything is daunting, but it really is a matter of beginning on a small scale with writing down some feelings, concerns, etc. on paper, and seeing where having those thoughts expressed on paper takes you. journaling is also a course that is offered at some community colleges and senior centers as well.
just a thought-
catsy girl

Old 09-07-2011, 07:37 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Default Explanation, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think we are digressing, but at 63, I've always wondered if I will wake up one morning soon and have the urge to get a short, curly perm, send all my money to a TV preacher, and buy a Toyota Camry.
That went right over my head; can you please explain it for us dense people? I do understand that it is supposed to be humorous. Sending all your money to a TV preacher would be a sign of dementia. But the other two items? A short, curly perm is a particular kind of hairstyle. What is the point there? Maybe I don't get it because I live in Los Angeles where everything goes as far as styles of hair and clothing. The Toyota Camry is a popular, high-selling, practical car which is bland and unexiting to a car enthusiast like myself, but which is a pretty good value for practical, reliable, and comfortable transportation. Are you saying it is a typical choice of old people? If so, I hadn't noticed that. Please explain.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,415 times
Quote:

Worthwhile and meaningful can include many things. Ask yourself what's going on inside your head? If you are introspective at all, the answer could be there. (I.e., you don't have to be "busy" to be worthwhile.)

I myself spend lots of time studying the birds in the trees around me, the plants on the ground. Contemplative things.

As for volunteering, how about something that engages your mind more, and involves you with individuals: literacy or math tutoring, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It will come to you. Personally, I've enjoyed frittering in the three years since I retired. After working 45 years, mostly in fast-paced, high-stress and somewhat hazardous occupations along with raising and "launching" five children, I am reveling in still being here and the down time.

For most of those years I was a work-a-holic. I finally began to relax during my last year, slow down and take it a bit easy. Thankfully, that calm has stayed with me in retirement and I feel no great need or compunction to enter into the fray again in any manner. I'm content to explore new and different places, learn the history of them, take pictures and spend time with my wife who is also retired.

It makes my/our time precious.
Yes! I absolutely agree. History is endlessly entertaining and engaging.

One new idea for the OP, related to journaling: Encourage participants to write stories about their lives--very rewarding and a legacy for their family and friends after they're gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Hmmm, wait. First we have to teach all us old farts how to use Face Book and Twitter... Then we change the world.
Speak for yourself--guess we're still "young farts" (63 and 68). I was an software professional for 20 years, and my husband, a science academic, was computer programming 30 years ago. So Facebook and Twitter are just the beginning for us.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
One new idea for the OP, related to journaling: Encourage participants to write stories about their lives--very rewarding and a legacy for their family and friends after they're gone.
I've been doing that by request of my oldest granddaughter. A good and positive way to spend a lot of time inbetween other pursuits.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Speak for yourself--guess we're still "young farts" (63 and 68). I was an software professional for 20 years, and my husband, a science academic, was computer programming 30 years ago. So Facebook and Twitter are just the beginning for us.
I'm 63 and have been in the PC biz for about 30 years.

I don't Twitter and I don't Face Book - but that's by choice.

And I'm a klutz this morning because I just typed Fabe Nook and had to fix it.

I like the journal idea. If one is PC literate a blog is easy to start if you want it public, or just for family.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Another worthwhile project is to go through all your pictures and record who all those people are! Where were the pictures of them taken? Where were those landscape pictures taken, and when? Who was on the trip when they were taken?

If you write on the photo, do it on the back and use a soft pencil (HB is soft, 1H, 2H, etc are not). Do not use ink!!!!!

I created a family CD a couple of years ago by scanning about 2000 images of pictures, documents, etc, and one of the largest directories on it is "Unknown". Everyone who knew the people in those photos is dead.

I sent copies of the CD to everyone I could think of, even those "fringe" family members. I included an excellent viewer on the CD so everyone could easily look at all the pictures. I included a genealogy file from myheritage software so they could not only have the family tree, but add to it. Free Family Tree, Genealogy and Family History - MyHeritage.com There is a free version, but be aware that it will change your homepage in your browser, and/or add a myheritage search bar to your browser. This varies with the version, but it seems to always mess with the browser somehow. A great program, but tacky in regards to browsers.

Get a tape recorder or video camera, turn it on, and start talking about what happened when you were young. Reminiscing with someone who was also there will elicit even more memories. You can make copies of the recording or have it transcribed and make copies for family.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:33 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,985,767 times
Default Friendships & Aging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Great class! I know of some seniors who have never developed any significant friendships outside of family. As they grow older, often their spouse will die, sometimes they are childless, have worked their whole life (and not developed many personal relationships outside family) or their children move away (or they are childless) and they are left basically alone withoug the friendship structure that is so important as we age.

I think an interesting topic would be how to develop and sustain friendships and interests.
Great idea!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:20 AM

126 posts, read 214,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Guilty!!

<snip>And I just had a sleep study last night. You can tell him from me that it is nothing at all like he imagines it will be. They came in and put a CPAP on me because I was snoring and not breathing and I was very surprised that it didn't really bother me to have it on.
He's had a sleep study before. He has apnea and has worn a bipap at night for about 8 years. But he just refuses to have another study, says there's no point to it.

But to get back to the OP, I'm with Curmudgeon. I really look forward to discovering a natural flow of daily life after so many years of over-busy schedules. I have 5 and a half more months of work. On weekends, I pretend I'm retired, to see how it might feel. One thing I can't wait for is not to get up at 5:30 am any more! I plan to get up when it's light out, and take my dogs out in the light! One more winter of driving in bad weather, and after that, I just won't go out in bad weather! It's the little things I'm looking forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or