Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:42 PM

116 posts, read 272,866 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some advice. My Dad is 87. I am 67. I live about 250 miles from him - about 5 hours. I see him maybe 3 times a year. Wouldn't say he is in great health, but typical for his age. He still drives, although last week he scared me half to death! I am his only living close relative and for many reasons I could not live with him. He has remarried, but wife not in that good a shape. His wife has family local to them and helps them out, like getting them to doctor when needed.

Anyway if I can sell my house, I plan on moving to a warmer climate, farther south, would probably be about 800 miles away, so my visits would be less. I am beginning to feel guilty about this. How have others handled this situation or what advice might anyone offer?

We have never been very close and don't talk that often. Trying to engage him in a conversation is difficult. He virtually never calls me. I call every 2-3 weeks to see how he is doing. I have not told him my house is sale. The reason I haven't is that it may take 2 or 3 years to sell and I didn't want to upset him, as he may not live that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 02:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
I certainly don't see an issue here. You're not that close. You can still call him every few weeks. He and his wife have a support group where they live and planes still fly if you wish to visit so you're still only hours away.

You're too old to not do what you really want to do because of an elderly parent where there is already distance, both geographical and emotional.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:25 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherOne View Post
I live about 250 miles from him
I see him maybe 3 times a year.

...moving to a warmer climate would probably be about 800 miles away, so my visits would be less.
800 miles by air is about as fast as 250 by car.
Cross that bridge when you get to it.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:19 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Ah yes, guilt... the gift that keeps on giving. By 67 you should be doing what makes you happy.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
800 miles by air is about as fast as 250 by car.
Exactly! There's absolutely no reason you can't visit him just as much as you are now. From his point of view nothing will change - so there's no reason for you to feel guilty.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:09 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
My mother lives 750 miles from me, my father lived 1400 miles from me. I live in Florida, and my father had a mobilehome here and my mother still does.

Both of my parents always chose to live where they wanted to live, they never consulted me or asked for my approval, as adults it was their choice. And me, as an adult the same applies, I will live where I choose.

I, in no way feel guilty. My father is deceased, however, if my mother wants to be close to me year around, she has a place. Todate, that is not her choice.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:14 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
To FisherOne (the OP): So far it's unanimous. Your guilt is misplaced. Try to get over it and go ahead with your life.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Just for the record, I could never move far away from my mother and father and grandparents, if they were of advanced age, and lived near me, and needed me.

But I think it's entirely different when you already live far away, and you're talking about just moving a little farther away. Especially since you can fly there, just as quickly as you can drive now. From your father's point of view absolutely nothing will change - he'll still see you three times a year, and still get a phone call every 3 weeks - so why feel guilty?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:13 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,602 times
Do what you want to do. You can maintain contact and visits. Parents usually don't care how far away their children live. It is the contacts and visits that matter.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:26 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I'm 61 (only child) and my Mom (widowed) is 88 and has been living in FL for 14 years. I had been torn about whether I should stay here in PA or move down with her. Well, last year I came to the decision that I did not want to give up my social life up here (after all, I'm not getting any younger), and figured she was relatively self-sufficient in her own condo, so I bought a house here. Before I even closed on the house, she landed in the ER due to several falls, and it's been a medical nightmare of a year ever since. She's now in assisted-living....I had to travel down to FL three times in three months to arrange all that. I feel terribly guilty and selfish about my decision, because she was one of those mothers who would probably move cross-country for me. So I can understand your position; it's really a dilemma. But as someone mentioned above, you're already hours away from him to begin with....probably the same amount of time as a flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement