U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:39 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,962,223 times

Advertisements

For the OP, worth reading, very accurate, I lived in CR for 4 years, left, moved to Panama for 1 year, Honduras for 1 year, Mexico for 3 years and back in the USA now.

Why is the cost of living in Costa Rica so high? / Business & Real Estate / Costa Rica Newspaper, The Tico Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 07:38 PM

8,767 posts, read 10,859,665 times
CR is beautiful, friendly, English-speaking ... and used to be an inexpensive place to retire, ... which is why most folks who consider retiring abroad, do so. But, the very economic problems at home which are causing folks to look elsewhere, are also changing the value of the dollar elsewhere ... and increasing the cost of living abroad.

IMO ... unless there is a huge cost-of-living savings elsewhere, most Americans readily choose to retire in America!

Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,929,958 times
In Panama they use US dollars so there is no devalue there. If you ever watch HGTV IN.. you can see that they are catering to the rich gringo now a days. Don't get me wrong I loved living there and had many friends who were natives. I think as we age we want to be near family and need to be when we get sick.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:42 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,590,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
In Panama they use US dollars so there is no devalue there. If you ever watch HGTV IN.. you can see that they are catering to the rich gringo now a days. Don't get me wrong I loved living there and had many friends who were natives. I think as we age we want to be near family and need to be when we get sick.
We have considered moving to CR, but decided there are plenty of places in the US that are as cheap or even cheaper. We love our newly remodeled home in Sun City and our taxes will be a whopping $700 a year, HOA around $36 a month, 11 golf courses, art clubs and classes and we are close to hospitals, so close most people travel by golf cart. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around all this oldness, but we have met many younger geezers moving in now and fixing up the old mid century moderns. So it looks like we stay in the USA for now.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,574,198 times
As many have stated, it's been gentrified. It's probably cheaper to retire in New York City now instead of Costa Rica.

If you want to retire cheap in a place with a tropical climate, you're probabaly going to have to consider Africa.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:16 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,510,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
As many have stated, it's been gentrified. It's probably cheaper to retire in New York City now instead of Costa Rica.

If you want to retire cheap in a place with a tropical climate, you're probably going to have to consider Africa.
I hear Somalia's lovely this time of year and if you wish to augment your income part-time, there's always piracy!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:46 PM

7,187 posts, read 11,238,374 times
We're still in double digits agewise from retirement, but I take great pleasure in starting to research some of our ideas of where we'll live and such.

That House Hunters Int'l show sure gave us the bug too! I've been checking out beachfront condo's in Salinas, Ecuador. They're very interesting to say the least! But we've also researched Costa Rica and other central American countries.

If anyone is looking at Costa Rica, check out this YouTube series put out by a couple who moved there from Charlotte, NC. The series is made up of short videos describing their search, move, and life in CR. They are very well done and my DW and I enjoy watching them together and making mental notes of things to check for ourselves.

Here's the link:

Chapter 01 - Why Move To Costa Rica - YouTube

Old 09-22-2011, 10:07 AM

44 posts, read 95,849 times
Thank you everyone for all the great advice and Stripes17 for your very informative video. The honesty from you guys is so appreciated. My DH and I are visiting next year-it'll either stay on our list, or we'll remove it. We did the same when we went to Uruguay for a look-see, and decided it wasn't for us. I guess it's all about the process of elimination. A big decision, not to be made lightly. Thanks you guys!!

Old 09-22-2011, 05:02 PM

18 posts, read 20,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imascot View Post
My DH and I are visiting next year-it'll either stay on our list, or we'll remove it. We did the same when we went to Uruguay for a look-see, and decided it wasn't for us.
On the one hand, my wife, who is from South America, was interested in Costa Rica years ago when someone she knew moved there. On the other hand, many years before that, she swore she would never live in another Latin American country again because of the political instability.

I'll drink to the part about political instability. I was stunned when I learned that just before the U.S. invasion of Panama, Fidel Castro in Cuba (who was an ally of Manuel Noriega) considered bombing San Josť, the capital of Costa Rica, as a diversionary tactic.

Largely for political reasons, the United States is unpopular throughout Latin America.

My guess is that an American in Costa Rica would probably become a member of the "international community," which I have done in the past and which can be very enjoyable. This means that foreigners in a country tend to mix socially because they have more in common with each other than with the local population. I know, "it's not the vision I had."

Incidentally, if you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, you could lose your citizenship by moving outside the country. As I recall, there used to be a five-year limit on your stay abroad. But you can live in Puerto Rico for as long as you wish without the need for so much as a passport, since it is a U.S. possession.

Finalmente, amigos, be aware that you will probably become less adventurous when you become really ancient, as is the case with me, and you may find great comfort among the kind of people you grew up with.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:41 PM

18 posts, read 20,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Paul View Post
My guess is that an American in Costa Rica would probably become a member of the "international community," which I have done in the past and which can be very enjoyable. This means that foreigners in a country tend to mix socially because they have more in common with each other than with the local population.
Thinking back on it, some members of the local population were members of the "international community." They were not excluded. But for the most part, members of the local population have more in common with each other than they do with a bunch of foreigners. "Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet, ..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement