U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:29 PM

44 posts, read 95,718 times

Advertisements

Costa Rico seems to be one of the places to go, if you're lucky enough to retire, and want to spend it overseas. What are your experiences, if any, from either visiting on vacation or retiring there?

And, how does it compare to it's neighbor, Panama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,140,430 times
You are a little late to the party. It has been such a popular retirement destination for so many years that property prices in desireable locations equal or exceed US prices. The greatest benefit is being able to take part in their National Health system at really affordable rates as a Pensionado. Biggest bang for the buck now is Equador, Nicaragua and Belize. I am not knowlegeable enough to compare Panama vs Costa Rica. For info from expat residents of Costa Rica see the Gallo Pinto Forum. Buenas suertes!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,782,260 times
We snow bird in CR for 1-2 months every year, 2012 will be our 7th season. The ex-pat Americans we rent from have lived there quite happily for 9 years. There is a significant US/European/Canadian ex-pat community. Many transplants leave within 3 years, it's not for everyone.

PM me if you'd like additional information but my response will be delayed. We're currently traveling in Italy and won't be home until late this month. I've no information on Panama, we're touring there next year. One of the best sites for CR information is: WeLoveCostaRica.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:32 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,913,158 times
I lived in Panama many years ago. A beautiful country but living (permanently) in a foreign country is not for everyone. Housing is no longer 'cheap'. You should go and visit though. If you go to Panama be sure to try Ceviche.

I know a couple who lived in CR for several years but came back to the states when the husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 PM

985 posts, read 2,211,098 times
Here's an interesting link. If you're living there full-time, I guess you'll see some of these.
Snakes, Bugs, Insects, and Other Creepy Crawlies Costa Rica

Old 09-06-2011, 11:34 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,551,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I lived in Panama many years ago. A beautiful country but living (permanently) in a foreign country is not for everyone. Housing is no longer 'cheap'. You should go and visit though. If you go to Panama be sure to try Ceviche.

I know a couple who lived in CR for several years but came back to the states when the husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers.

So glad you said this. I simply could not choose to live in a foreign country, ESPECIALLY in retirement with all the issues aging brings.

Visit, yes certainly, Costa Rica is an amazing place to spend time in.

But no other country in the world has the kind of medical care and expertise America does. People from all over the world are clamoring to get into America, especially those who want good medical care. Why any American would choose to leave this great nation permanently is beyond my comprehension.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:44 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,779,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Here's an interesting link. If you're living there full-time, I guess you'll see some of these.
Snakes, Bugs, Insects, and Other Creepy Crawlies Costa Rica
I hat snakes and bugs. No snakes in MDI to speak of.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,913,158 times
There is good and bad when you live in Central America. There are a lot of different bugs and many snakes. I had a Black widow in bananas brought home from a market. The chickens were fed 'fish' meal and yes they had a fishy taste. The beef was brahma (sp) and tough. It is 'hot' all year and rains 8 from April to Dec at least once a day. Many natives think it is OK to steal from Americans because we are all rich. You do not have the same rights in a foreign country that you do in the US. If you are arrested.. you can be held for days unless you are willing to pay off someone. (no I was never arrested).

The good
Most of the people are very nice and if you try to speak Spanish they are very polite even if you mess up.
The weather especially in the mountains can be refreshing. The beaches are nice and not over-crowded.
Seafood is good and the local recipes are good but be sure you know what it is you are eating. Ever had milk and scotch?
You can get a maid and gardener for a reasonable price, some live in others do not. Some cook too.
The flowers and wild life are wonderful. I loved the howler monkeys and the beautiful butterflies.

Many countries have tariffs on appliances making them very expensive. Some have them on cars. There are a lot of things to consider..

I can tell you that it is fine for a while but after 5 years I was ready to come home.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM

222 posts, read 430,212 times
Several years ago I spent 3 months traveling C.R. and decided not to move there. The main reasons.. I did not feel safe...Would not want a local living on my property to keep it safe.. Rice & beans get old to me real fast..... Too much of an expense to move personal items there..... mail is commonly stolen..... And so many more reasons....... Also I have known a lot of people who moved there & they have now returned. They lived there anywhere from 3 to 8 years. Go online & read some C.R. newspapers.. It is a beautiful country & well worth visiting..

Old 09-09-2011, 03:09 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
....click, click.....there's no place like home.....click....click
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement