Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:52 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Me too, one of those nice Seacliff Houses that you can pick up for $25-$30 million yet walk to Clement St and Geary Blvd
It has to be isolated area in San Francisco though. Very high peak on the mountains and maybe a view of Golden Gate Bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 02:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
I guess we're fortunate. We love where we are, as rural, humble and in some ways, backward as it is. We chose it in retirement after several years of research. If money was no object I think we'd stay right here and travel more. The simple life suits us as neither of us are particularly materialistic. Whatever we buy is of good quality and lasts but we're not out to impress anyone.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I guess we're fortunate. We love where we are, as rural, humble and in some ways, backward as it is. We chose it in retirement after several years of research. If money was no object I think we'd stay right here and travel more. The simple life suits us as neither of us are particularly materialistic. Whatever we buy is of good quality and lasts but we're not out to impress anyone.
Lot of travelling is not considered materialistic?

Old 09-09-2011, 02:12 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
I second the motion that several posters have already set forth - I have chosen to remain where I want to be, which is in the greater Los Angeles area. No amount of money would induce me to move elsewhere. I love the world-class cultural advantages that we have here; I love the weather; I love having friends in this area; I love feeling at home here; I love the life that I have created for myself. I can visit other neat places - many come to mind such as Hawaii - but I don't want to live in those places.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
nowhere in the USA

Lake Como, northern Italy
Bergamo, northern Italy
We love the Woodstock area - very charming. We stayed at the Woodstock Inn for 3 nights - if I am pretending I have all the money in the world, I guess we could just rent a suite 5 months out of the year - besides they have wonderful food there and with all the traveling back and forth to Florida, I wouldn't have time to cook you know .

Do you have other recommendations (dreaming here . )

Old 09-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Lot of traveling is not considered materialistic?
We're not talkin' world travel here. A few more trips to visit children and grandchildren, day trips to explore our new state and environs and visit historical sites, occasional weekend getaways, perhaps once a year a two-week "vacation" introducing my wife to other parts of America I've lived or been in, thanks mostly to Uncle Sam, and she hasn't. I don't consider that materialistic.

Quote:
It has to be isolated area in San Francisco though. Very high peak on the mountains and maybe a view of Golden Gate Bridge.
Given SF prices (moved from northern California) THAT'S materialistic. No thanks, at any price!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
We're not talkin' world travel here. A few more trips to visit children and grandchildren, day trips to explore our new state and environs and visit historical sites, occasional weekend getaways, perhaps once a year a two-week "vacation" introducing my wife to other parts of America I've lived or been in, thanks mostly to Uncle Sam, and she hasn't. I don't consider that materialistic.

Given SF prices (moved from northern California) THAT'S materialistic. No thanks, at any price!

Well, this thread is about no issues with money which means you can live wherever you want in USA without.

I thought this was about financial freedom and materialistic would be owning lot of disposable items?

Old 09-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Well, this thread is about no issues with money which means you can live wherever you want in USA without.

I thought this was about financial freedom and materialistic would be owning lot of disposable items?
Materialism has less to do with the availability of money than it has to do with how much you're willing to spend on whatever.

Given no issues with money, I think we'd still live a simple life and use the "surplus" to do some good for others.

As they probably still say in San Francisco, "Do your own thing," "Whatever floats your boat," "Different strokes for different folks" and above all "Peace Out!"

Old 09-09-2011, 03:23 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:

You are of course right - this is a dream thread, a "what if" thread. No one should call you out for dreaming whatever you want to dream.

cur·mud·geon
noun \(ˌ)kər-ˈmə-jən\

archaic: miser

: a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man

Old 09-09-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Materialism has less to do with the availability of money than it has to do with how much you're willing to spend on whatever.

Given no issues with money, I think we'd still live a simple life and use the "surplus" to do some good for others.

As they probably still say in San Francisco, "Do your own thing," "Whatever floats your boat," "Different strokes for different folks" and above all "Peace Out!"
What if that person donates money to the needy?
San Francisco is very diverse and its a tourist attraction. You will see lots of different cultures. Its probably similar to NYC but I have not been to NYC yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement