U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:30 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,547,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You are of course right - this is a dream thread, a "what if" thread. No one should call you out for dreaming whatever you want to dream.

cur·mud·geon
noun \(ˌ)kər-ˈmə-jən\

archaic: miser

: a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man
Nor should anyone be called out for having a different definition of materialism, Hmmm.

Speaking of definitions:

Quote:

What is a Curmudgeon anyway?

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy. They ease the pain by turning hurt into humor. . . . . . They attack maudlinism because it devalues genuine sentiment. . . . . . Nature, having failed to equip them with a serviceable denial mechanism, has endowed them with astute perception and sly wit.
Curmudgeons are mockers and debunkers whose bitterness is a symptom rather than a disease. They can't compromise their standards and can't manage the suspension of disbelief necessary for feigned cheerfulness. Their awareness is a curse.
Perhaps curmudgeons have gotten a bad rap in the same way that the messenger is blamed for the message: They have the temerity to comment on the human condition without apology. They not only refuse to applaud mediocrity, they howl it down with morose glee. Their versions of the truth unsettle us, and we hold it against them, even though they soften it with humor.
- JON WINOKUR
Isn't cherry-picking to try to insult another fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 PM

66 posts, read 107,467 times
If money were no object:
July - September in Michigan (to be near family and some of the best freshwater inland lakes in the world)
October - March in Maui
April - June traveling to Barcelona, Florence, Venice, Lake Como or Lake Garda, Paris, Prague, Budapest, UK, St. Lucia, Fiji, Tahiti, etc., etc. (I think you get the idea....)

Old 09-09-2011, 03:52 PM

4,577 posts, read 7,078,067 times
Here's where I'd divide my time....

Gorgeous townhouse in Boston (city)

Carmel by the Sea (ocean)

Coeur d'Alene (lakes and mountains)

ah yes....

Old 09-09-2011, 03:52 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,259,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Which City and State would you retire in USA if........Financials was not an issue at all?
Unlimited money wouldn't make any difference to me. First town to pop into my head was the one I'm planning to retire to anyway. So I guess I chose my place correctly.

White Mountains/Rim Country in Arizona.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Here's where I'd divide my time....

Gorgeous townhouse in Boston (city)

Carmel by the Sea (ocean)

Coeur d'Alene (lakes and mountains)

ah yes....
Monterey and Carmel, where my wife and I went on our first date, would decidedly be on the vacation itinerary. I fell in love with the area when stationed at Fort Ord back in the mid-60s.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:16 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,089,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Monterey and Carmel, where my wife and I went on our first date, would decidedly be on the vacation itinerary. I fell in love with the area when stationed at Fort Ord back in the mid-60s.
Monterey and Carmel in California?

Old 09-09-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Monterey and Carmel in California?
Indeed! I don't believe Fort Ord was ever situated in Mexico, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,567,929 times
Quote:
I also fell in love with the area. I was stationed at the Presidio of Monterey for the Defense Language School, many decades ago. I was stunned by the beauty and the Presidio was in the perfect location over Monterey Bay, Cannery Row and the Wharf. I could easily walk down the Franklin Street hill to these places and Pacific Grove.

I have been back a few times and it still has the same beauty but it is much more crowded and expensive. Cannery Row, when I was in the Army, was still abandoned, and has some real characters living in the area--exactly like the ones in John Steinbeck's novels, Cannery Row and Tortilla Flat
This was well before the Aquarium and it is very nice but it took away some of the peace, quiet and simplicity of the past.

Livecontent

Old 09-09-2011, 07:25 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,089,773 times
Central Colorado in summer and florida keys in winter. Otherwise I'd stay in Texas.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:17 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,089,552 times
Quote:
Indeed! I don't believe Fort Ord was ever situated in Mexico, but I suppose I could be wrong.
Good choice. I like Monterry Bay Acquarium. What about Napa Valley?

Have you ever lived in CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or