U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:21 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,057,764 times

Advertisements

Monterrey is gorgeous. Nice beach there too. Monterrey Bay Acquarium.

Money is no object in this thread lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I also fell in love with the area. I was stationed at the Presidio of Monterey for the Defense Language School, many decades ago. I was stunned by the beauty and the Presidio was in the perfect location over Monterey Bay, Cannery Row and the Wharf. I could easily walk down the Franklin Street hill to these places and Pacific Grove.

I have been back a few times and it still has the same beauty but it is much more crowded and expensive. Cannery Row, when I was in the Army, was still abandoned, and has some real characters living in the area--exactly like the ones in John Steinbeck's novels, Cannery Row and Tortilla Flat
This was well before the Aquarium and it is very nice but it took away some of the peace, quiet and simplicity of the past.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We love the Woodstock area - very charming. We stayed at the Woodstock Inn for 3 nights - if I am pretending I have all the money in the world, I guess we could just rent a suite 5 months out of the year - besides they have wonderful food there and with all the traveling back and forth to Florida, I wouldn't have time to cook you know .

Do you have other recommendations (dreaming here . )
I think you may have responded to the wrong post (?)

I would choose Italy.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:38 PM

3,904 posts, read 4,888,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post

Monterey Ca has one R.
Monterrey Mexico has two R's.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:

I have in-laws there. I have been there. Nice for a visit but too far to travel to things. Pacific Grove is quaint, but no place I pine for. Life is (not always) a beach.

I agree with Dorothy. "Theres no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like..."

Old 09-09-2011, 10:21 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,547,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have in-laws there. I have been there. Nice for a visit but too far to travel to things. Pacific Grove is quaint, but no place I pine for. Life is (not always) a beach.

I agree with Dorothy. "Theres no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like..."
Actually Monterey is not really a beach scene because, being in Northern California, it is just to cold to swim. For me, it was one of the great adventures of my life. I read the Steinbeck novels and would go to the areas described. It has so much history of the Spanish Colonial era--I sometimes imagine Zorro showing himself.

I saw movies filmed and movie stars--It was a big experience for a young guy from New York. Carmel is just a fantasy land and Big Sur is just down the highway.

The Presidio of Monterey is a luxurious Army Post. My barracks were at top of the hills with mountain lions roaming around. We leave the doors open and the fog would roll through the halls. I could hear the Seals barking at the foot of the Post. It was really amazing.

Being the site of the Defense Language Institute made it interesting with the different ethnic instructors. I studied German and many of the instructors were veterans of the German Army, administrators of the Nazi era or were residents of Germany, during the war. That definitely helped me with my latter assignments in occupied Berlin. It was not an easy school; it was brutal with the demands of the old style German military regimentation from the instructions.

The food products are excellent on the Monterey Peninsula. I can remember going to the Artichoke Festival and the Garlic Festival. I ate swordfish, abalone--it just the beginning of my love of food.

Yes, I thought I would go back and live there but life as a way of changing plans. If you have the money, it would be a wonderful and walkable place to retire.

Livecontent

Old 09-10-2011, 12:15 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Good choice. I like Monterry Bay Acquarium. What about Napa Valley?

Have you ever lived in CA?
I'm a native Californian, born and mostly raised (military family) in Southern CA, spent three years in the Central Valley and finished out my CA time in Sacramento, not far from the Napa Valley which we visited many times. My wife is a Sacramento native.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:42 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,783,775 times
Paris! The City of Lights! Really, anywhere in France. Except maybe the Languedoc region.

Last edited by Joliefille; 09-10-2011 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

In 1996 when my wife and I married I visited "home" - Newport Beach, CA where I was raised on one of the islands. California was truly golden then (1950 and beyond for a couple more decades) and for a child, teen and young adult, absolutely magical.

Suffice it to say, the visit, made because my wife wanted to see my childhood home, was fraught with longing for what was and sadness at what it had become. It was truly not possible to go home again. But happily I sustain myself with the good memories.

For me in my youth, life really was a beach!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:26 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,079,365 times
They have been mentioned already but Carmel, CA or Lake Garda in northern Italy.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:19 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
....Financials was not an issue at all?
This Q gets the same answer I've used since 1977 when I first came through
(riding a bicycle down the Pacific Coast Hwy)
and stayed put for about a week exploring the place: SANTA BARBARA

More than enough general wonderfulness to keep almost anyone pleased...
but when you need more it's close enough for a couple hour drive down to LA.
or a pleasant afternoon drive up 101 to SF...

It really doesn't get much better than Santa Barbara.
(if as the caveat here of financials not being an issue holds)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or