Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:17 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
....Financials was not an issue at all?
Easy question - Key West. The cruise ships have destroyed a lot of the charm, but it's still the funnest city I know. We tried hard to make it work a few years ago, but the financials just didn't click. In fact, anywhere in FL from Marathon Southward would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 01:28 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm a native Californian, born and mostly raised (military family) in Southern CA, spent three years in the Central Valley and finished out my CA time in Sacramento, not far from the Napa Valley which we visited many times. My wife is a Sacramento native.
Sacramento is boring except the historic town halls in Downtown and Stockton is worse.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
What about Santa Cruz or Capitola?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Sacramento is boring except the historic town halls in Downtown and Stockton is worse.
Funny, we were never bored. Boring people get bored. There's a lot to do in town, a decent night life, plenty of history and lots of interesting places within easy reach.

Quote:
What about Santa Cruz or Capitola?
Santa Cruz is getting a bit down-trodden, is full of college students and tourists, is a bit expensive, being a coastal town, and is an enclave of old hippies who never grew up. If you like hemp, tie dye, drum circles, vegetarians, PETA, Earth First, Greenpeace, the ACLU, etc. you'll love it.

Capitola is cute, quaint and also touristy.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:59 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm a native Californian, born and mostly raised (military family) in Southern CA, spent three years in the Central Valley and finished out my CA time in Sacramento, not far from the Napa Valley which we visited many times. My wife is a Sacramento native.
My siblings are in all around Sac, Stockton, Modesto, Fresno; they love it. None of them have ever lived anywhere else, and they have no desire to move anywhere else.

After growing up in the valley [and foothills] I left at 18. After a few years I returned, attended college and even owned an apartment complex for a while; but we left again.

I have also visited many times, but I can not see living there.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
My siblings are in all around Sac, Stockton, Modesto, Fresno; they love it. None of them have ever lived anywhere else, and they have no desire to move anywhere else.

After growing up in the valley [and foothills] I left at 18. After a few years I returned, attended college and even owned an apartment complex for a while; but we left again.

I have also visited many times, but I can not see living there.
Obviously, neither can we. But for a couple of state publicy policy, legislative and political analysts/"experts" it was a great career move.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:40 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have lived in Scotland and I loved it.

I lived in Naples Italy, where it was really nice to be able to leisurely explore Rome, Sicily, and all that Italy has to offer.

I choose to retire to Maine, largely due to economics. I had never been to Maine prior to making that choice. I made many trips to Maine to verify what we expected to see here. I am on a very limited pension, so it does matter where I live. I can not afford, today, to live in many of the places where I have previously lived.

If I had more money? I would fix-up where I am. I would complete our shift to being off-grid; making our own electricity and fuel, our own food and fiber.

For us this is a great place to be.

Forest.... what was Scotland like? Where did you live? I love the idea of it.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:16 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
I am planning to retire in Alaska. I will move in 10 months (God willing) to my Alaskan job, work for the next 10 years there first and enjoy every hike and trip that i take when I can. During the summer, I will have plenty of daylight hours to enjoy its beauty.

I love cooler weather and the south central and south east is actually, on average, warmer then it is in Wisconsin where I live now... Alaska or bust!!

Old 09-10-2011, 03:44 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Forest .... what was Scotland like? Where did you live? I love the idea of it.
It was very nice. They have a strong sense of their heritage. Still a bit mad at the English. You can not kick a stone without disturbing a historical artifact.

We lived in Dunoon which is in Argyleshire across the Clyde from Gourock [which is 25 miles West of Glasgow].

The people are friendly, the customs are fun. Lots of castles [both ruins and maintained], museums, grassy hills with lots of sheep, tiny pubs where everyone knows everyone else going back for many generations.

Local TV was a hoot. A community would broadcast a debate. The town council, a minister and a couple concerned citizens all sitting in a semi-circle of couches. Between each couch would be a low table with 2 or 3 bottles of local whiskeys. As the conversation moves around the semi-circle sometimes a council member would get up and walk behind the camera to readjust it. The BBC is low budget. They would argue and yell at each other while slowly getting drunk all about potholes or Mr. Murphy's sheep. We thought it was funny.

They have a number of bus tours of whiskey stills, you can tour and sample ten different distilleries in a day.

We had many misunderstandings due to different uses of English phrases, but nobody ever took insult.

A rubber is what you use to rub-out pencil mistakes off paper.
A cooker is the counter-top device you cook with it is not a stove.
A boot verses a trunk.
A lady of good reputation does not use a razor [or if she does she asks for her 'special order' and the chemist hands it to her in a brown paper bag].
There were many of those kinds of goofs

Old 09-10-2011, 03:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Key West Florida in the Winter
My house (rural Missouri) Spring and Fall
Someplace cool in the summer. British Columbia maybe.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement