Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 07:09 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times

Advertisements

I've always had a couple raised moles on my back. Every time my husband or daughter scratched or tickled my back, I'd say "watch my moles" in a joking way.

Several years ago, daughter, now a Nurse Practioner, saw and told me I should have the one mole checked out. "Yea, yea." Couple months go by, again she says I should go get it checked out. "Yea, yea". Couple more months go by,I turn 60, I think about things that can happen when one gets older, so I decide I need to have the mole checked, as well as a full body scan by a dermatologist.

Dr. does a biopsy to check it out. Couple days go by, Dr. calls, I'm waiting to hear her say all is well....... no, she tells me it is early melonoma and I need to have it removed. Talk about "having the wind knocked out of my sails!" Never in a million years did I expect to hear that!

Had it removed, all is well, I now go annually for full body checks. My daughter does as well. Daughter blames it on my use of tanning beds, I blame it on the really, really bad sunburn my BFF and I got on our backs in our early teens. Hurt soooooooo bad. Her mom sprayed us down with Solarcaine, that really worked to take away the heat and pain. I swear by it to this day for burns.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I've always had a couple raised moles on my back. Every time my husband or daughter scratched or tickled my back, I'd say "watch my moles" in a joking way.

Several years ago, daughter, now a Nurse Practioner, saw and told me I should have the one mole checked out. "Yea, yea." Couple months go by, again she says I should go get it checked out. "Yea, yea". Couple more months go by,I turn 60, I think about things that can happen when one gets older, so I decide I need to have the mole checked, as well as a full body scan by a dermatologist.

Dr. does a biopsy to check it out. Couple days go by, Dr. calls, I'm waiting to hear her say all is well....... no, she tells me it is early melonoma and I need to have it removed. Talk about "having the wind knocked out of my sails!" Never in a million years did I expect to hear that!

Had it removed, all is well, I now go annually for full body checks. My daughter does as well. Daughter blames it on my use of tanning beds, I blame it on the really, really bad sunburn my BFF and I got on our backs in our early teens. Hurt soooooooo bad. Her mom sprayed us down with Solarcaine, that really worked to take away the heat and pain. I swear by it to this day for burns.
Ah, Solarcaine. Once it came out I used it on the sometimes rare occasions I ended up with a true sunburn. Having had a really bad one when I was about 18 I was far more careful thereafter. Solarcaine worked!

Old 02-28-2017, 08:35 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Heavy snow this morning, heading out with the dogs for a walk.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Heavy snow this morning, heading out with the dogs for a walk.
Wow! Usually by this time of the year we've had several snow falls, the most in our eight years here has led to about a 10 inch accumulation. So far this "winter," if you can call it that, we've had one very short, very light snow with no accumulation whatsoever. Right now at 10:00 a.m. it's 71º and rising. I think I'll take that over a heavy snow even though it's amazingly uncharacteristic.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:20 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
Can anyone direct me to a forum, on C-D or elsewhere, where I can ask a question about home owner's insurance coverage after a house fire? I am finishing my claim and there are a couple of things that it has just occurred to me were never addressed. I don't want to ask the insurance company until I have asked a few questions elsewhere.

thanks!

We haven't had any winter in TN either, Curmudgeon, at least not yet, but I have seen some very cold, late spring weather in the past that took out fruit crops and gardens.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:07 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Just this morning I learned how to use a flash drive. Talk about a generation gap! Yes, I know that many people my age have kept up with the wider world much better than I have, so perhaps the term "generation gap" is too broad. Personally, however, I do feel like an alien from a different planet when I am around people younger than 40 or so, except that the different planet is not a location in space but a time warp phenomenon. I'm sure every ten-year-old knows how to use a flash drive.

At least I am continuing to learn, even if it's in very small increments.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:42 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
ER-you made me laugh. Although, I am lucky to have a nephew who just shakes his head & teaches me what I need to know.

I should add that he is in my will, lol!

Old 03-01-2017, 07:34 AM

Crystal clear morning bright sunrise. A brisk 9 degrees f, walked out with the dogs, they went 5 feet looked at me, went back in and layed down in front of the fire.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Crystal clear morning bright sunrise. A brisk 9 degrees f, walked out with the dogs, they went 5 feet looked at me, went back in and layed down in front of the fire.
I've had a dog or two who did much the same. Clearly dogs' intelligence can sometimes be better than their owners'.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:02 AM

Because of this gosh durn global warming, it's 15 degrees this morning! Headed out for a walk with the dogs (or not, we shall see) after my coffee and biscuits and gravy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement