U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 07:31 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times

Advertisements

We have had some really gorgeous weather here in central NY. Temps up in high 60s, one or two days 70.

This morning? Snow on the ground, snow coming down sideways, 20 degrees.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:20 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Today is the quintessential perfect spring day for me. The temp is 63 this morning with a stiff breeze from a mild cold front going through. It's refreshing and I have every window in the house open, letting the breeze and sunshine in. It will warm up to 77 later. It's one of those days to be grateful.

On the drive home from pre-school yesterday, my grandson told me how he loves all the cats and and all the dogs and all the people on earth and that earth is our planet you know.

It's good to be reminded sometimes.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:46 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Today is the quintessential perfect spring day for me. The temp is 63 this morning with a stiff breeze from a mild cold front going through. It's refreshing and I have every window in the house open, letting the breeze and sunshine in. It will warm up to 77 later. It's one of those days to be grateful.

On the drive home from pre-school yesterday, my grandson told me how he loves all the cats and and all the dogs and all the people on earth and that earth is our planet you know.

Cute - we need more people like him.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:07 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

Lovely! Out of the mouths of babes. I hope you told him to hold that thought.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:17 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Golly, yesterday it was 60 degrees, and with 49mph wind gusts, this morning it's 25 with snow on the ground. No walk with the dogs, too windy. I HATE the wind!

Old 03-06-2017, 11:04 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
I do not like the wind either. It seems to me I live in one of the windiest areas of our state. Yesterday was beautiful, warm & sunny. Today it's cloudy & windy. The rest of the week doesn't look any better.

Oh well, spring will come sometime.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:12 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Golly, yesterday it was 60 degrees, and with 49mph wind gusts, this morning it's 25 with snow on the ground. No walk with the dogs, too windy. I HATE the wind!

You and me both. It's been really windy here over the weekend and that just makes it feel colder. The temps haven't been too bad, really...high 50s/low 60s...but the wind is yuck. May is the really windy time here and I hate it then too. Why can't we have it in August when we really need it??

Old 03-06-2017, 01:14 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I do not like the wind either. It seems to me I live in one of the windiest areas of our state. Yesterday was beautiful, warm & sunny. Today it's cloudy & windy. The rest of the week doesn't look any better.

Oh well, spring will come sometime.

A lot of trees and plants here think it's spring but this happens every year. If we are lucky we won't have a freeze in Mar. or April this year but it would be no surprise if we did!

Old 03-06-2017, 05:46 PM

4,727 posts, read 4,619,362 times
I have a different outlook on the wind that comes from my childhood. I like wind. That's because when I was growing up in a very smoggy Southern California, I discovered that the only days when there was not any smog and the skies were clear were during the infamous Santa Ana Winds. Instead of the normal on-shore breeze, during a Santa Ana, the wind originated in a high pressure system parked over the Colorado Plateau, resulting in a northeast wind which blew all the smog out to sea.

Then as an adult, I spend a considerable time on the ocean in sailboats. Of course, everyone knows that sailboats need a nice wind to go anywhere. The stiffer, the better. For the past thirteen years, I have lived in a perpetual windy area which most complain about. Not me! I love it!

Well . . . except when at the end of a lengthy bike ride and have to fight the wind to get home. No biggie. Just need to plan the rides around the wind better.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-06-2017, 06:24 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
I love wind and breezes, I have both in NY and now in FL, there's rarely a day without breezes. As a kid in Indiana, I remember too many nights without any breeze stirring and being dead still in the summer. Flipping my pillow over to find a cool spot didn't help much without AC.

We sailed in NY, kayak in FL and planned the direction around tide and winds when we could. I loved a wind behind and a cup of coffee on the way home on a daysail. Same with bike rides, that stiff wind coming back isn't a big deal on a short ride, but after a long ride, it makes the trip back a slog.

My Mom never liked wind, it really bothers her while I would take heavy winds over stillness anytime. Just different preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement