Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 06:45 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times

Advertisements

We're skiing at Whistler-Blackcomb in Canada. Yesterday we had snowflakes larger than cotton balls. It doesn't get much better than this, although some extra visibility would be nice.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:53 AM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Windy today but still non-coat weather. Now we are in for more winter weather, maybe a blizzard.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:07 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Same with bike rides, that stiff wind coming back isn't a big deal on a short ride, but after a long ride, it makes the trip back a slog.
The absolute best website I found for wind forecasts is at:

www.usairnet.com

From the main page, select the "weather" pull-down along the top and select "aviation weather". In the "Get Locations" box, click the "Select a Region" pull-down and select your state, then press "Go". In the "Select a Location in (the state you selected above)" box, use the "Select a Location" pull-down to choose the closest location to where you want to see information. Again, press "Go" in that box.

What is displayed is all kinds of weather in three-hour 'blocks' out about two and a half days. Near the top is the wind azimuth and speed.

The web site is geared toward r/c and ultralight pilots, but I have found it invaluable for planning my rides. I rarely go out without taking a quick look. It looks like the recording stations are connected with airports.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-07-2017, 09:23 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The absolute best website I found for wind forecasts is at:

www.usairnet.com

From the main page, select the "weather" pull-down along the top and select "aviation weather". In the "Get Locations" box, click the "Select a Region" pull-down and select your state, then press "Go". In the "Select a Location in (the state you selected above)" box, use the "Select a Location" pull-down to choose the closest location to where you want to see information. Again, press "Go" in that box.

What is displayed is all kinds of weather in three-hour 'blocks' out about two and a half days. Near the top is the wind azimuth and speed.

The web site is geared toward r/c and ultralight pilots, but I have found it invaluable for planning my rides. I rarely go out without taking a quick look. It looks like the recording stations are connected with airports.

Thank you for the link, that's a great site.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:51 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Wow-the wind is so strong it's actually rocking my little Nissan cube. No driving today!

Old 03-07-2017, 06:02 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
The wind yesterday broke the door closer on the front screen door.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:53 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Yesterday was my very last day at work and today was my very first day as a 'retired person'. Whew-wee! I've been on the go the whole day, and I'm pooped. Worst thing is that the day isn't over yet.

Got up this morning and felt the need to go to church. Of course, the only 'church' on weekday mornings is Catholic Mass. Even though I haven't been a Catholic since my mid-teen years, I felt the need to be with God's people. Last night, I just felt the need to thank God for everything He has done for me, and wanted to do it in a church. As He promised, I have everything I need . . . and as an extra bonus, a whole lot of what I want. Can't get better than that.

That set the tone for the day. Afterward, the first stop was at Costco to fill up. It is very, very rare that I can just pull up to the pump without waiting, sometimes the wait is at least 10-15 minutes. Costco Gas sure has a good thing going in this town.

Next stop was at my credit union to deposit my checks for unused vacation and unused sick time. That will keep me going for a long, long time. Also talked to them about the logistics of getting money from my retirement fund to have them wire it to the escrow company. Then to the library to drop off some audiobooks and a couple of videos.

Back home to grab the diesel and take it for a fill-up too. Again, no lines! I think I'm going to like running errands 'off hours'. Stopped at the grocery store on the way home to pick up some soup and corn bread. Yummy.

Spend the rest of the day in the back yard removing the chicken wire on my fence for the metal recycling guy. Totally filled up the green waste barrel. And have a good haul of metal for Francisco when he comes by.

Since the sun is threatening to sink over the horizon, it's too late to do anything else outside, so inside it is; to do some more sorting and packing. That seems a never-ending job. But I have to stick with it because escrow on my new place closes on the 22nd.

The next few weeks are going to be hectic. I have to wait until TIAA, (the location of my retirement funds), know that I am retired. That won't be until Thursday or most likely Friday. Then on Monday, I need to call them and see about transferring some funds to my credit union. The credit union wants to hold on to the funds for 24 hours, so the next day I need to go there and get them to wire the money. In the meantime, I need to be sure the escrow company sends the final amount they will need. On next Thursday, I meet with the TIAA fellow to set up an annuity that will become effective on April 1st. Between now and then, I need to decide if I want a guaranteed period or not.

The next day I head out to Idaho to arrive in time for the walk through on Monday. Tuesday we sign the papers, and Wednesday escrow closes. BUT, I won't be able to enjoy the new house because I need to scoot back to SoCal in time to catch a plane to Italy for a week's adventure.

I'll he back at the end of the month and the next day, the annuity starts; medicare starts; and I have to get my derrière in to the dentist for him to install the final crowns. After that, the Salvation Army truck comes to pick up a lot of furniture that I don't want to haul to Idaho, then will have to get serious about packing and moving.

Does it every slow down?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-08-2017, 07:32 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Congratulations, you are off to a running start and a great first day! You have so much to look forward to in a very short time already. Welcome to retirement!

Old 03-08-2017, 09:11 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
This is a very exciting time for you! I wish you health, happiness and time to "smell the roses!"

I love your second paragraph. (More) Blessings to you, you actually are already receiving some. He has been good to me!

Old 03-09-2017, 05:19 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Congratulations! I am very happy for you. Sounds like a wonderful retirement and I hope you enjoy every minute of it!!

I would imagine life/retirement will slow down and become somewhat normal living once all the preliminaries are complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement