U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 06:50 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times

Advertisements

NYgal, I'm sorry for your loss, it's even worse when other things are going on at the same time.

My MIL, who is quite stoic, has been affected with all the losses this past year in IN and FL, it's been a rougher year than usual. I think seeing a niece who is 25 years younger than her and who is showing clear signs of dementia has been the hardest of all.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:11 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
We are back in FL after being in NY for the past 10 days. It feels good to be home. The grandkids couldn't wait to see us, part of that also seeing their Dad's Lego box we retrieved from the NY attic and brought here. They certainly do love us, but the lure of new-to-them Legos was quite strong too. Really strong.

It was 38 degrees when we left NY Tuesday morning and we were heading to Charlotte NC where it was going to be 77 in the afternoon. It was still 55 degrees in the mountains of Virginia and NC and I was seriously doubting it was going to hit 77. I was wrong. As soon as we began the descent, the degrees quickly rose until it was actually 81 in Rockhill SC, just south of Charlotte. Amazing to watch that temp change so rapidly.

Suitcases are unpacked, clothes washed and put away. Now unpacking the boxes we brought back remains to be tackled. I selected what went in the boxes and now I need to really decide what stays or moves on to a Goodwill. My resolve of being unsentimental about some things was breached more than I liked as I packed, Today I'll make the hard decisions here that I couldn't always make there.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:53 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Relatives from the Midwest visiting, they want to see mountains. I have a Jeep. Oh are they gonna see mountains! Heheheh

Old 05-11-2017, 11:06 AM

5,235 posts, read 11,758,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Relatives from the Midwest visiting, they want to see mountains. I have a Jeep. Oh are they gonna see mountains! Heheheh

Oh, those lucky relatives! The mountains and the beach, best places ever.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:03 PM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
Just popped in to say hello and yes I'm alive and well. I've been keeping myself busy. My snowbird friends have left the area, so now I won't be playing cards with them three times a week so I'll have a bit more time on my hands

I'm still trying to write the novel that I started for Nanowrimo though now I'm in editing mode. My son did read part of the novel and had some suggestions which has helped me finally move forward on this project. Adding some new material and researching more genealogy, I found out that I'm directly related to the Salem Witch Trials! This was something that I never imagined!!

I try to go to the Senior Center for lunch at least once every week, and I'm still plugging along reading all of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I've finally reached the 30th novel in his series though I'm a few novels behind on my Goodreads pledge for this year.

I've always enjoyed playing cribbage, and this year I joined an online cribbage site. I enjoy chatting with the people who play, so I've become a Tournament Directors and direct several games each week. I'm still working on crafts and recently took apart the area rug that I had crocheted and started making a needlepoint area rug with those yarns!

I'm still loving my area of Arizona, and I'm thankful daily that I'm here. Meo is planning to come visit here soon and I'm really looking forward to hosting her! I enjoyed AZDB's visit last fall and wish she could find some vacation time to come visit too!

Old 05-11-2017, 12:17 PM

203 posts, read 237,908 times
Quote:
Western CO? I'm so jealous!

Old 05-11-2017, 08:25 PM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Quote:
I spent 30 years in Chicago, which is so flat we named our highway overpasses names like 'Nabisco Hill' and 'Ford Hill'.

Then I drove my BIL's car from Chicago to Califonia. One night, after dark, we stopped at a motel just into Colorado. Next morning my BIL woke me up and said, "Come outside, and look up."

MOUNTAINS!!!! :-D :-D :-D Most spectacular thing I'd seen in my life! :-D :-D :-D

I still get an emotional lift when I look outside my door in San Diego and see our foothills off in the distance.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:16 AM

4,727 posts, read 4,619,362 times
One year a long time ago when I was still a 'productive member of society', I attended a professional conference in Dallas to give a talk. I remember one afternoon after returning from the conference looking out the hotel window across the Dallas landscape.

I was lost!

All I saw was flatness with a skyscraper here or there dotting the expanse of emptyness. There was no reference. It was then that I realized that I would need to live somewhere with a view of the hills/mountains, (as I have my entire life). Thankfully, in the West, there are few places without such a view. In my old home, which I am finishing packing for the move, out my bedroom window I can see the Tehachapis and out the other side of the house are the San Gabriels. In my new house is a porch view of Rathdrum Mountain, and out the backyard is a distant view of Canfield Mountain.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-12-2017, 05:17 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Have a heavy heart tonight. Just learned a good friend died Saturday. Have known him and his wife for many years. He was always very kind and sweet. He was 88. I know..... a full, long life, but still..... miss the person.
So sorry to hear this sad news.

It seems the older we get the more friends, family and neighbors we outlive. For me it is especially disheartening when peers (fellow 'baby-boomers') start to leave us. I've already outlived 4 or 5 cousins of mine who were all born after WW2.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:16 PM

3,759 posts, read 4,274,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Just popped in to say hello and yes I'm alive and well. I've been keeping myself busy. My snowbird friends have left the area, so now I won't be playing cards with them three times a week so I'll have a bit more time on my hands

I'm still trying to write the novel that I started for Nanowrimo though now I'm in editing mode. My son did read part of the novel and had some suggestions which has helped me finally move forward on this project. Adding some new material and researching more genealogy, I found out that I'm directly related to the Salem Witch Trials! This was something that I never imagined!!

I try to go to the Senior Center for lunch at least once every week, and I'm still plugging along reading all of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I've finally reached the 30th novel in his series though I'm a few novels behind on my Goodreads pledge for this year.

I've always enjoyed playing cribbage, and this year I joined an online cribbage site. I enjoy chatting with the people who play, so I've become a Tournament Directors and direct several games each week. I'm still working on crafts and recently took apart the area rug that I had crocheted and started making a needlepoint area rug with those yarns!

I'm still loving my area of Arizona, and I'm thankful daily that I'm here. Meo is planning to come visit here soon and I'm really looking forward to hosting her! I enjoyed AZDB's visit last fall and wish she could find some vacation time to come visit too!
Good to hear from you, Deelighted. I was just beginning to wonder what you were up to...now I understand. You're one busy person!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement