U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 06:51 PM

3,505 posts, read 4,061,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Steak was great! And they didn't stay with me, I live in a small trailer in the desert 20 minutes from the nearest city. NO ONE ever visits or stays here. Everyone stayed at my older sisters 4000 sq ft ranch. I did have fun taking them to the mountains, trout fishing and watching them gasp for air at 11,000 feet.

You made me LOL, and I am alone. You had the best of both worlds, then, company and fun, but peace and quiet at your own place.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This past weekend I finally met my first City-Data.Com friend in person and in the flesh!

Pittston2Sarasota is a long time contributor to City-Data, but hasn't posted anything these last few months. His hometown is the pretty town of Pittston, which is in the middle of the Wyoming Valley on the Susquehanna River, half-way between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. He moved down to Sarasota, Florida, for several years and tried very hard to like it, but made the decision recently to move back to his home town. Since I was visiting a friend in Wilkes-Barre arrangements was made to visit him.

We had the most delightful meeting. He gave me the grand tour of his rather large home, I met his life partner (they were together for many years), his two cats, and we sat on his porch which afforded spectacular views of the town, the river valley, the nearby mountain ranges and the gap between the mountains. You see, his house is perched high on a hill, in the middle of the Appalachian range. Pittston is in the anthracite coal region; but unlike other coal towns it has gone through "gentrification" and revitalization ... it has the prettiest of walkable downtown areas with many Victorian shop-fronts, upscale restaurants, pubs, flowers in containers and baskets, etc.
I am happy for you! Actually I am envious of you! Sounds like a wonderful visit and atmosphere. Some pictures would be welcomed!

Old 05-24-2017, 02:36 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Gee, if I lived in such a great town, there would never be any reason to even try Sarasota FL, for me. It sounds like a great place with a wonderful downtown. Bet he is glad to be back.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:53 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Gee, if I lived in such a great town, there would never be any reason to even try Sarasota FL, for me. It sounds like a great place with a wonderful downtown. Bet he is glad to be back.
Oh, you know what they say ... "the grass is always greener ..."

I can understand why a person who has lived their whole life in one town might yearn to try someplace new.

Actually, Sarasota is a lovely city. It has a first class art museum.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:41 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
OK Clark. But does it have Victorian houses and pubs and flowers in pots along the streets? Or is it all Palm Trees? Yuk.
I suppose the beach is the big draw.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:26 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Oh, you know what they say ... "the grass is always greener ..."

I can understand why a person who has lived their whole life in one town might yearn to try someplace new.

Actually, Sarasota is a lovely city. It has a first class art museum.
I live 30 minutes south of Sarasota and the historic downtown is a nice area for the arts. The nearby Ringling Art Museum has free admittance every Monday. The Opera House is gorgeous after extensive renovations, we saw the Nutcracker performed there by a ballet troupe. There is a cluster of other theatres there also.

Florida Studio Theater is in that area and had their inaugural children's series of 4 plays this year. I bought an early subscription at $5 a ticket and wasn't expecting much at that price. I was surprised by the quality of the production we took the grandkids to. I got four tickets for each show and between us, the other grands and the parents, we all got to go to different shows. I ordered another early subscription for next year, they were that good.

The theater performances we've attended in our nearby small town have been of surprising quality too; there is obviously money here to support the arts.

I didn't think about the arts in FL before moving and have been pleased to find what's around the area. It isn't all beach and palm trees, although those aren't shabby either.

I love the area of PA your friend is in, we have travelled through by there on the way to visit family in IN for the past 33 years. I love looking into those beautiful valleys and towns and at the mountains from 81, it's the nice part of the drive. So many places, so little time...

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-24-2017 at 08:42 PM..

Old 05-25-2017, 02:28 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I live 30 minutes south of Sarasota and the historic downtown is a nice area for the arts. The nearby Ringling Art Museum has free admittance every Monday. The Opera House is gorgeous after extensive renovations, we saw the Nutcracker performed there by a ballet troupe. There is a cluster of other theatres there also ...
I was in Sarasota two years ago. My older brother lives in a suburban town just north of Tampa and east of Clearwater and I spent a week visiting his family, but chose to stay at a Bed & Breakfast in St. Petersburg nearby.

I devoted an entire day to visiting Sarasota because there were three museums I wanted to visit (I am such a "Culture Vulture"!): the Ringling Art Museum, the Circus Museum, and Ca'd'Zan (the opulent John Ringling mansion). Each museum requires a minimum of two hours to visit properly.

Since I grew up on "the Gold Coast" of Florida - the east coast, Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties - we always regarded the Gulf Coast as inferior or second-rate. Not true. Actually the beaches on the south west coast of FL are nicer than the Atlantic beaches: finer sand, sunsets, etc. We used to call it "the Redneck Riviera" but that term applies more accurately to the panhandle beaches of FL near Pensacola.

A complaint Pittston2Sarasota had was that the people down there were not friendly and were snobbish. This is something we Seniors must consider when moving to a town in another state. I heard it time and again that upon retirement folks move to a smaller town because of affordability and lower cost of living only to find the locals do not welcome them with open arms.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:07 PM

606 posts, read 563,893 times
FL, when in the Carolinas, quite a few folks moved to the Carolinas because of the bugs and weather.

?Have you heard when a newcomer came to town, asked a local how friendly were the folks? Reply, how friendly are they in your town? For me, a fruit and nut from Northern California, now on the Oly. Peninsula, have found folks, willing to share their lives with me.

2014, toured with Road Scholar, Signature City of---Charleston, S.C. While waiting to cross the street, a young man (he coulda been my son !), said "Hello", how y'all doin'." ! So enjoyed Charleston, though did get looks, because I converse with folks. With some local folks, will it isn't proper? to talk to just everyone.

Charleston,S.C. ready to move there after 5 days. Know the grass is greener, do not expect to find utopia, though this West coast gal would enjoy, I think, living in a place close to visit Southern towns, Eastern towns as I haven't visited there much---as of this moment !

Sarasota---think of the most excellent oncologist from there who treated my late husband. The disease took my husband home to Heaven, not his lack of skills !

Old 05-26-2017, 01:10 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Hello Retirees -- I just wanted to let everyone know I am back after a year's hiatus, and with a new name! Was HollyhockGarden but ran into some password problems, so just am starting from scratch again on CD, as a Junior Member! I was busy taking care of my late mother until she died last year. My time situation is much better now, so hopefully I will be around more! Btw, we are still down here in Phoenix, originally from IL.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:26 PM

Welcome back! I remember your name from when you were on CD before. Hope all your CD favorites and friends are still posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement