Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 01:38 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,023,860 times

Advertisements

I love your name !!! I wish I could plant/grow hollyhocks. Welcome back !!!!!

Old 05-27-2017, 03:45 PM

11,168 posts, read 15,964,111 times
My wife and I saw Paris Can Wait yesterday, starring Diane Lane and Arnaud Viard, with Alec Baldwin in support. Now before I go on, let me just say that if you are not presently in a relationship and/or you are under 40, just skip the rest of my review and move on, because this movie is not for you.

This is your basic romcom/chick flick/date movie. Lane is married to Baldwin, a successful movie producer who is more involved and interested in his work than his marriage. They are in Cannes and then are supposed to fly to Paris, but he gets called away to Budapest to check on another of his productions. Due to an ear infection, Lane can't travel with him, so his French business partner Viard offers to drive Lane to Paris the next day. The rest of the movie is basically a cook's tour and travelogue of France as they make their way from Cannes to Paris (and Arnaud tries to make Diane), stopping along the away to take in the sites and sounds of various restaurants, markets, cities, and the French countryside.

There's really not much to the story itself - - -it's the usual will they or won't they, with a cute little ending - - - but the real star is France itself. If you haven't wanted to travel to France before, you may after seeing this movie.

Now I will warn you that this movie has received mixed reviews with some really horrible reviews from some users on IMDB; people seem to either love it or absolutely hate it. I, myself, really enjoyed the movie and wouldn't mind seeing it a second time. But that can be explained as follows:

1. I'm in love with Diane Lane and have been for quite some time.
2. My wife and I love France to the point where you might call us Francophiles.
3. We just returned home from a trip to Paris a few days ago so France is still in the forefront of our thoughts.
4. We both usually enjoy romantic comedies. (Going back through the decades, some of our favorite movies include Barefoot in the Park, The Goodbye Girl, Annie Hall, When Harry Met Sally, Forget Paris, and Must Love Dogs.)

5. Did I mention I love Diane Lane?

For those who think they may be interested in seeing the movie, here's the trailer:

Old 05-27-2017, 04:21 PM

5,946 posts, read 5,098,924 times
^^^^^^^ I had a similar feeling about a movie I saw recently, "All You Need Is Love." The only star I knew was Pearce Brosnan and the movie was filmed in Italy. The scenery views were wonderful. I don't know if I will ever get there (or France, which I would love to visit, too), but thank goodness for these movies that give us a taste of what is there.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:34 PM

6,346 posts, read 7,721,264 times
I love watching the Giro d'Italia, which finishes tomorrow; and then in July, the Tour de France. For those who don't know what those are; they are three-week professional bicycle races that make up two of the the three "Grand Tours". The third Grand Tour is the Vuelta a España in September.

You have to be a hard-core cyclists to appreciate the dynamics of a three week bike race, but the real star of the events are the countryside. Italy, France, and Spain. Every year the tours travel a different route.

Southern Europe is a fascinating place. I encourage everyone who can afford it to take a trip to the 'old country'. The best part of being retired is that we can avail ourselves to off-season rates. Sometimes, they are almost half of the peak summer rates. Last month I took my lady friend to Rome. Such a special place!

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-28-2017, 01:28 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,557,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I love watching the Giro d'Italia, which finishes tomorrow; and then in July, the Tour de France. For those who don't know what those are; they are three-week professional bicycle races that make up two of the the three "Grand Tours". The third Grand Tour is the Vuelta a España in September.

You have to be a hard-core cyclists to appreciate the dynamics of a three week bike race, but the real star of the events are the countryside. Italy, France, and Spain. Every year the tours travel a different route.

Southern Europe is a fascinating place. I encourage everyone who can afford it to take a trip to the 'old country'. The best part of being retired is that we can avail ourselves to off-season rates. Sometimes, they are almost half of the peak summer rates. Last month I took my lady friend to Rome. Such a special place!

On what channel do you watch the Giro d'Italia?

Old 05-28-2017, 02:24 PM

6,346 posts, read 7,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
On what channel do you watch the Giro d'Italia?
Usually Eurosport on the web. This morning, being the decisive state, 'everybody' wanted to get on and the feed cut out and wouldn't re-establish. I ended up watching it in French on a different feed. You can find links to video for most of the major races at steephill.tv bike travelogue and procycling live coverage Look under the "Race Dashboards" on the right-hand side.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-29-2017, 11:42 AM

2,838 posts, read 3,178,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Usually Eurosport on the web. This morning, being the decisive state, 'everybody' wanted to get on and the feed cut out and wouldn't re-establish. I ended up watching it in French on a different feed. You can find links to video for most of the major races at steephill.tv bike travelogue and procycling live coverage Look under the "Race Dashboards" on the right-hand side.
Thanks for posting this link.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:57 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,822,510 times
Well Memorial Day weekend is usually a nightmare here with dirt bikes, 4wheelers, people shooting, screaming, throwing trash all over but this weekend was actually peaceful and quiet with cool sunny weather and a nice cool breeze. Even got into the 30's at night which was great sleeping weather.

Spent Memorial Day at my sisters grilling an assortment of meat for the relatives. Pretty darn nice for a change.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:05 AM

4,528 posts, read 3,733,557 times
We had a nice holiday weekend that started with a fun get together for early birthdays and a going away party for the other grands. The older grandkid had a stomach bug which passed over to the younger one later in the weekend. All of us adults are crossing our fingers it passes us by. Please.

DH found a slow leak under our outside hose Bibb which is in line with a water softer and a pressure gauge. He could have fixed it with several trips to one of the big box stores and with a couple of hours. Since it was late in the afternoon yesterday and a holiday he opted to have it repaired since he had an early flight this morning.

I called the water company this morning that takes care of the softener and other stuff with our well. As long as it's PVC and not copper, they could repair it. It took 1/2 hour for cutting out and replacing three small sections of pipe and the repair guy threw in a new gauge for $113. I can breath easy a big gusher won't happen and DH won't have that repair to look forward to now when he returns.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-30-2017 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 02:19 PM

6,419 posts, read 11,571,173 times
The RV Park where we're camp-hosting was full for the Memorial Day weekend. We weren't the hosts on duty, but with so many people we stuck around to provide backup. It was a good bunch of campers - my co-hosts said the most difficult thing they dealt with was shifting around the site assignments (we tentatively assign sites before campers arrive) to accommodate special wishes.

And one of the campers who'd been fishing in our reservoir gave us a huge trout! Yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.