U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 08:20 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times

Advertisements

We went out to dinner this evening and were seated by a older man at a table by himself. We ended up talking to him throughout our meal, we started the conversation with him and are glad we did. He is 88 years old, very mentally sharp and quite engaging, along with a sense of humor. He had interesting stories, having owned boats and an RV, seeing all the states and national parks along with parts of Canada over the years since retiring. We had much in common and it was enjoyable seeing the far end of retirement in a different light.

He lost his wife a couple of years ago unexpectedly; he showed us her picture he carries in his wallet before he left. There was pride and obvious love there. He said he gets tired of cooking for himself and eats out now and then, but usually fixes healthy meals including vegetables or salads. He's happy he learned to cook after he retired or he would have been in trouble after his wife died. He mentioned this was the first time he had been back to this particular restaurant since his wife passed. He has no nearby family and his kids would like him to move closer, but he has no desire to go back to cold weather again and his life is here.

He told us about the three concert bands he plays with in our area, so he's staying connected and busy. He was more than happy to retire after 37 years in a demanding career and has never looked back in the 28 years since. His one unhappiness is losing his wife at age 81; her mother lived into her nineties and they were expecting the same. I thought about telling him he was fortunate to have her that long, but realized he would not see it that way at all, so I kept quiet. He is a man who has had a full life and a retirement he has enjoyed and continues to still.

It ended up being an unexpected uplifting and positive evening for us. We were planning on eating at a different place tonight, but they were closed because of a water problem and we ended up at this one instead. I love serendipity.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-01-2017 at 09:08 PM..

Old 06-01-2017, 11:47 PM

4,727 posts, read 4,619,362 times
What a delightful story, jean_ji. You were blessed tonight. I hope you run into him again someday. I'm sure he enjoyed spending time with you too.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-02-2017, 11:47 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
I second. You were lucky to have met him and he was lucky to have been there at the same time.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:13 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Thank you, we plan on going to one of the concerts to see him when season starts up again. I haven't seen too many upsides to that age range lately within my own family and it was good to get a different perspective.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:40 AM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Jean -- Thank you so much for sharing your story. It is a great trait to be able to pick up a conversation with a stranger, and not everyone is able to do it! Fortunately it worked out great for all three of you and it is nice that you plan a future concert date to hear him play - Hollyhock

Old 06-03-2017, 01:13 PM

606 posts, read 563,893 times
Jean, how bless you both were !

Reminds me when I get in a conversation with someone I do not know, the interesting stories I so enjoy hearing. Just
yesterday, while waiting in line at a warehouse store, the woman in front of me remarked they needed a few items check out. Responded about what Leo Buscaglia said "Do not look for the shortest line, get to know your neighbor !" something like that.

Anyway ! Commented on the woman's delightful accent, she replied she was from Hungary, years ago. As we chatted, the next moment we realized, she was being served ! Time went by so quickly ! Especially now, being alone, have had the boldness to start a conversation, am usually so bless !

Old 06-03-2017, 03:00 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
^^^^^^^ I love the reference to Leo Buscaglia. I used to listen to him when he was on TV and read some of his books.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:14 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
My garden is doing well, saw blossoms on my squash and pumpkin this morning. Got to 99 degrees here yesterday and under a Red Flag fire warning burn ban through the weekend. Oh how I hate summer here.

Trip to 11,000 feet and trout fishing Saturday.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:40 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
My garden is doing well, saw blossoms on my squash and pumpkin this morning. Got to 99 degrees here yesterday and under a Red Flag fire warning burn ban through the weekend. Oh how I hate summer here.

Trip to 11,000 feet and trout fishing Saturday.
Wow, seems like only last week you were talking about snow.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:51 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Wow, seems like only last week you were talking about snow.

Yup, and I cannot wait for October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement