U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 03:33 AM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Yesterday was my 8 month retirement anniversary. I am both happy and unhappy. As I suspected, you don't just turn into a new person when you retire. My old personal problems and worries are still with me, compounded by my inability to make a leap to a new location and "start a new life" (um, right). I should have been long gone from her by now. But, I am shamefully happy being really lazy in my crap apt and just reading and watching tv.
I'm doing the same thing. I would never have guessed I would wind up in my mother's small hometown, but that's where I am, after having been a city girl for over 50 years.

I still vacillate between Tennessee & Arizona. Have not visited either yet. But, fairly certain I will go to Tennessee this next month. Fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 05:42 AM

8,761 posts, read 9,832,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
AZDesertBrat -- So sorry to hear your daughter has been evacuated! I hope and pray that this fire can be controlled. And I worry about all the animals, too. Just plain ANGRY to hear about some clown flying a drone up in the area and endangering our helicopter pilots! I heard that info from someone else, so not sure I got it straight, but I was told they had to ground all the helicopters until they drone was down. I have friends in Prescott Valley and know they are evacuating some in east PV. Some family friends who live there actually have a sick baby and have been having trouble with the G-tube and actually having a nurse come to deliver a new one today -- so life is going on there. Just wonder if they will need to evacuate because of the smoke! And PHXBARB lives somewhere in the area -- hoping she is okay, too!

My daughter was allowed to go home yesterday but only residents are allowed into Mayer. I know she was happy to sleep in her own bed but I enjoyed having her here. Other daughter will be here sometime today from Oregon.

The story I got about the drone is that one of the TV stations in Phoenix was offering money for the "best fire pics" so somebody sent a drone in to try to do that. Stupid.

I think Prescott, etc. probably does have a huge smoke problem. We had enough of it here that I can just imagine how bad it is on the other side of the mountain.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Hollyhock and DesertBrat: Isn't this something? What I heard is that the chief fire fighter absolutely does not want to risk any lives, anywhere for this fire, because of the 19 Hotshot firefighters who were killed a few years ago. He is being very conservative about putting his men in the line of the fire, unless it is actually threatening homes or buildings. So maybe that's why they are not making much progress.

I am safe and not even smelling smoke here. I guess the wind is blowing the other direction. Am having the kitchen remodeled, so if the house is threatened by fire, it will all be for nothing ! Stay safe everyone.

I guess we can't blame them for being extra careful about the firefighters. The one where we lost 19 guys was devastating. I think they have enough 'air action' that they can keep busy without risking lives. I do wish they could get a better handle on it though.

Good to know you aren't being swallowed up in smoke! I talked to a couple of my cousins the other day and they aren't getting very much of it either. Enjoy your new kitchen!

Old 06-30-2017, 09:58 AM

1,642 posts, read 629,711 times
Glad to hear you are ok, PhxBarb! And AZDesertBrat, glad to hear your daughter got return to her home. Enjoy your visit with your other daughter. Likely will be a quiet 4th of July weekend for us!

Old 06-30-2017, 11:36 AM

11,195 posts, read 12,670,225 times
Walking down my wooden patio steps one was rotted and down I went flat on my face. Well it just happened there was a wasp nest under that step, and the wasps were not happy I destroyed their home with my face and let me know it. Sigh...

and so it goes...

Old 06-30-2017, 12:33 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
Jim, so sorry you are going through all this. Good thoughts to you.

Just a few years ago my life was a living h---. I was laid of during the recession & couldn't find any work except some temp positions. Finally went through all my savings, filed bankruptcy & lost my home. Soon after a woman ran a red light & totalled my car as well as my back. I couldn't afford another decent car so left almost everything & moved in with family.

Thankfully they were there for me.

It took 2 more years before the full extent of my injuries were detected & I had back surgery. Then, finally the insurance companies paid for the car accident, shortly after I was eligible for social security.

Life is comfortable now but it sure took a long time. I hope your life improves too, Jim.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:36 PM

11,195 posts, read 12,670,225 times
^oh I know, others have or have had it far worse.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:56 PM

606 posts, read 563,486 times
Thank you all for sharing; pleased everyone in AZ is safe.

Problems/situations---remember being in a self-help group, about 20 around the table. Most everyone shared their situation, no whining, just the way it was. At the conclusion of the meeting, after we all put our situations on the table so to speak, each of took our own situation back---Nobody wanted anyone else's and I most grateful !

Life is a journey, so bless you are with me, sharing your journey as I share mine.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:47 PM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
I need to vent. I have known two groups of women for a very long time. We all worked at the same place for a long time, we are all retired now.

We used to get together (as 2 separate groups) for dinner to reconnect, share stories, enjoy each others company. Now as we are growing older, no one is working except for one who is working part time.

Try to get together for dinner???? That has become a joke. I'm usually the one to make the calls or send the emails. I'm feeling so frustrated because getting a date to do so is getting harder and harder. One has to go through the whole calendar, can't do it on certain days, not sure what that day we talked about she might have something else to do. Then there is the babysitting. Oh I might have to babysit, I won't know till the last minute, etc.

These women are not kids. Their children (if they have any) are grown and have kids of their own, etc. It seems these women are not able to say I'm meeting so and so and so and so for dinner on such and such a day. If you need a babysitter, please find a backup for me.

OK, I'm a mother and a grandmother, also great-grandmother. But I never see anyone. Son with kids and grands lives in OK. So there is no chance of me being needed for babysitting. And my calendar is pretty open, I never have to ask for a particular day/time.

Am I being too sensitive? Or is this thing getting out of hand? When did these women give up their own lives? The one who has to check her calendar all the time (no kids) is hard to pin down for anything.

I am very tempted to send them all notes that say I am open to meeting for lunch/dinner, just let me know when you can make it and I'll be there. Also, nobody wants to suggest a place. Grrr.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Glad to hear you are ok, PhxBarb! And AZDesertBrat, glad to hear your daughter got return to her home. Enjoy your visit with your other daughter. Likely will be a quiet 4th of July weekend for us!

Yeah, Debbie is glad to be back home. Says it's not "too bad" over there so that's good. Linda is probably at Debbie's right now but haven't heard yet. I may not see her for a few days though. She is taking three of her grandkids to Sea World in San Diego. My three oldest great grands. It's the 12 year olds b'day so this is her present to him and the girls (12 and 16) get to go 'for fun'. lol She HAS to come see me though because she'll be moving in with me soon. lol

I'm off July 4th this year but only because it's a regularly scheduled day off anyway. Linda probably won't be here so I'll find out if Debbie wants to do anything. I know I'll be right here at home that night because I have a perfect view of the fireworks at the fairgrounds.

Sunday, the 2nd, is my 7 year anniversary with Walmart. I don't know whether to celebrate or cry.
Celebrate because I've made it this long and actually still like my job or cry because I have to keep doing it and can't retire. Sigh.

Last edited by AZDesertBrat; 06-30-2017 at 07:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement