U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 11:43 PM

238 posts, read 197,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I felt acceptance from the people. The mountains are awesome & there was an opening in Dee's complex that was handicapped accessible. Everything just fell into place.
Congratulations Meo. I'm impressed you were able to make a major decision so quickly. Even after a year of research, it is easy for self-doubt to lead to paralysis. I hope the move itself goes smoothly. Having just moved myself, a la U-Haul, I think you are very wise to hire movers!!

I second the call for an AZ meet-up!

Old 07-23-2017, 08:26 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Meo, I've been following your posts and am so happy you have found your place. It is so much harder to make these type of decisions as the years go by. Plain physics comes to mind:

"Newton's first law of motion describes inertia. According to this law, a body at rest tends to stay at rest, and a body in motion tends to stay in motion, unless acted on by a net external force."

Keep staying in motion!

Old 07-23-2017, 09:42 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Meo, I've been following your posts and am so happy you have found your place. It is so much harder to make these type of decisions as the years go by. Plain physics comes to mind:

"Newton's first law of motion describes inertia. According to this law, a body at rest tends to stay at rest, and a body in motion tends to stay in motion, unless acted on by a net external force."

Keep staying in motion!

Thank you for writing this. Your words woke something up in me that has been asleep for a while.

My body has been "resting" for too long, I think. Hard to get it moving again, but at least it is starting to wake up.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:15 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
Yes, if my doctor signs a form that I need a companionship pet, the kitten stays for free. If not, there's a deposit & monthly charge. Either way I'll be able to have a fur baby. I'll get one from the shelter, a cat who needs me as much as I need him or her.[/quote]

That is wonderful!!! So happy to hear an animal will be getting a nice new home, as well as you! And yes, it is probably a good thing that you jumped on the handicapped accessible apartment, because I don't think they pop up every day! Great timing! My MIL had a lady friend who moved down to Sierra Vista from IL and enjoyed living there. She chose that town because for some reason, her late husband had wanted to be buried in the VA cemetery there, and she wanted to be near-by.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:38 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Sierra Vista really has everything a person could need. The town I'll be at is a few miles away. Dee was sweet & drove me to all the other income based housing & they all had waiting lists, so I find it amazing there was an opening in her complex.

I also like the fact the Senior center is close & all the people were so friendly. Yes, it helped that Dee introduced me but still.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:59 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Sierra Vista really has everything a person could need. The town I'll be at is a few miles away. Dee was sweet & drove me to all the other income based housing & they all had waiting lists, so I find it amazing there was an opening in her complex.

I also like the fact the Senior center is close & all the people were so friendly. Yes, it helped that Dee introduced me but still.
I believe in signs, and this is clearly a sign. This move and everything you have written sound so right for you.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:15 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Stopped too soon but high winds & road construction made driving horrible. I fight tomorrow being Sunday it may be better. If it takes an extra day to get home, so be it.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:57 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
My wife and SIL left just a few minutes ago. The dogs started barking at her as she walked ou the door. Almost like "You are are leaving without me?" They decided that they would do the whole 1200 miles in one day with two drivers

Old 07-24-2017, 06:22 AM

6 posts, read 5,261 times
a friend of mine carries a small hammer in all four seat pockets of his car as he wants any of his family members to be able to smash a window and get out of the car should he ever accidentally ever drive into a lake or river???? Now thats preperation!

Old 07-24-2017, 12:04 PM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
I have read that the head rest for the driver's seat in cars is always/deliberately kept detachable so that, if necessary, the driver can pull it out and use the metal attachment bars [that go into the seat] as a tool to smash out a car window, if necessary.

Hubby and I were watching a water rescue occurring in Apache Junction, AZ on the tv news this morning. A driver drove into a flooded street and got stalled. The fire dept had to come out and rescue them. There has been heavy rain in the area today causing flooded streets and washes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement