U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 06:12 PM

6,182 posts, read 9,238,576 times

Advertisements

Meo: I can't believe you are home already !!!! I thought maybe you would stay a few more days to look around. So much driving. Yikes. It makes me tired to think about it. You are very brave !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
Thanks, dee. Tomorrow I'll mail the complex & get them the paperwork they need. Already investigating moving companies. My first stop, before I even went home was to see the friend who's like a daughter & she'll help me with packing & downsizing. My sister will help too.

I'll call the office tomorrow & let them know the info is coming. Whew, a lot to do!

Old 07-25-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Meo: I can't believe you are home already !!!! I thought maybe you would stay a few more days to look around. So much driving. Yikes. It makes me tired to think about it. You are very brave !!!
Thanks. Driving no longer scare me after that! And the cube was a real trooper. Love that car.

Yes, I should have stayed longer but wanted to conserve time & energy for what has to be done. I can explore & have fun once I get things settled here. Too much to do to waste any time.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Wow, girl, I cannot believe how quickly all this has come about! I'm happy for you that you've found the 'right place' for you. I figured you would like it. If I didn't like where I live so much I could live down there, easily. Maybe, once you get settled in, rested up and feel like it, you could make a trip up here? Hollyhock, Barb and I would love to meet you. Heck, I'd love to meet ALL of you! lol And bring Dee with you! She's only been up here once.

It's a beautiful state with so much to see and do it'll take you a long long time to do it all. There are still places I haven't seen but the list IS getting shorter!

Congrats on your move and I know you'll be happy when it's all over.
Yes! I look forward to meeting all of you. I'm sure dee will be happy to join in.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:50 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,019,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks, dee. Tomorrow I'll mail the complex & get them the paperwork they need. Already investigating moving companies. My first stop, before I even went home was to see the friend who's like a daughter & she'll help me with packing & downsizing. My sister will help too.

I'll call the office tomorrow & let them know the info is coming. Whew, a lot to do!
Moving is never fun, especially a long distance one

Old 07-26-2017, 12:20 AM

78 posts, read 39,967 times
If I save up carefully I should be able to retire in just 38 years.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:51 AM

1,642 posts, read 629,711 times
Just want to say "Good Morning" to everyone from Arizona [still morning here!] and hope everyone is well and having a good day. Stop and take time to smell the roses of retirement life. My favorite "rose" of life so far this week was being at home in the daytime on a rainy Monday morning and being able to go outside in the afternoon when the sun came out, and being able to pull weeds when the soil was moist after a rain!! To some, it might sound like a little thing -- but out here in AZ we don't get much rain and it is a treat to pull weeds [in our case a nasty nut grass] when the soil is moist. Enjoy the little things, guys & gals.

How about everyone else? What has been your "rose of enjoyment" so far this week?

Old 07-26-2017, 11:22 AM

7,027 posts, read 3,879,512 times
I've been on C-D for a number of years and visit various forums (C-D says 'fora' is the wrong word?) and have to say that the folks on the retirement forum are noteworthy in two distinct ways. First is their civility and cordiality toward each other even though they might disagree. The boat might rock once in a while but always comes back on an even keel. "Seniors" sometimes have a stereotype of being crabby or short-tempered but I don't see it much on this forum.

The second point is the ability to write in complete sentences with (mostly) proper English. Written conversation, such as we have on this forum, is taken seriously. We want to be understood and make the effort. That isn't always the case on many other fora/forums and sometimes it is a rarity. Sometimes you have to try to diagram the sentences to figure out what is being said. So... Kudos to the folks on this forum and maybe also to our 4th grade teachers who didn't give up on us.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:57 AM

8,762 posts, read 9,832,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Just want to say "Good Morning" to everyone from Arizona [still morning here!] and hope everyone is well and having a good day. Stop and take time to smell the roses of retirement life. My favorite "rose" of life so far this week was being at home in the daytime on a rainy Monday morning and being able to go outside in the afternoon when the sun came out, and being able to pull weeds when the soil was moist after a rain!! To some, it might sound like a little thing -- but out here in AZ we don't get much rain and it is a treat to pull weeds [in our case a nasty nut grass] when the soil is moist. Enjoy the little things, guys & gals.

How about everyone else? What has been your "rose of enjoyment" so far this week?

I am enjoying the cooler weather! Never turned the AC on at all yesterday and looks like today may be the same. Both doors open and perfect temps.. Since I got my electric bill yesterday I am relieved it's not going on! I was home on Monday too, waiting for roofers to come check out a leak in the roof...again! They fixed it a few months ago but when we have those big storms it's bad. So they obviously didn't get it fixed right. Came home from work Sun. to water allll over the floor! And I have wood and laminate floors. Yikes!

Probably the best part of things around here right now is that my daughter is moving back from Oregon and will be living with me. BUT that means changing the house around a bunch. My 'office' will be her bedroom and a spare room will be my 'office' and, boy, is that going to take some doing. Do you know if there's any senior citizen 'help' places around? Someone that can take care of a 'honey do' list? Help move heavy 'stuff'? Maybe I'll call the senior center and see what they say. I've only got a week to get this all done...and was supposed to paint too but that's not happening. Spent my morning on the phone arranging to have another phone jack installed...$99.00!!!!!...and TV line added to daughter's 'sitting/dressing room'. I am really looking forward to her being back.

Since I had my yard all rocked in I hired a guy to take care of my weeds every month. He charges me $30 and it's done! If he wasn't doing that I'd have foot tall weeds all over the place and trying keep 1/4 acre cleaned up is hard on me!

Old 07-26-2017, 12:08 PM

6,182 posts, read 9,238,576 times
Speaking of weeds, I foolishly put a bird feeder in a tree hanging over my Iris garden. Yikes. The birds threw out the seeds they didn't want, the seeds grew fast with the rain, and bingo: Weeds all through the Iris garden.I had to remove about 25 Iris bulbs so I could get rid of the weeds, that the birds planted! LOL

Made a good donation to the local Iris Society who is having a sale this Sat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement